Re: OT Re: AV program - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: OT Re: AV program - Mozilla ; squaredancer wrote: > On 11.09.2007 22:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real Bev > to generate the following:? : >> squaredancer wrote: >> >> >> >> >>>>>>>> me, I just got downright b*****d with it all--- ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: OT Re: AV program [Afterthought]

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 11.09.2007 22:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real Bev
    > to generate the following:? :

    >>> "But leather! What football through yon window breaks...."
    >>> (whereby, "yon" is not even a contraction here, but dialectal)
    >>>

    >> "Behold yon Cassius, he hath a lean and hungry look."
    >>
    >> Is that ancient Roman or Shakespearean dialect?
    >>

    > hmmmm - must be ol' man Willy, as the spelling is all wrong for Julius
    > et al!
    >
    > reg

    I guess he was singing "Willie , Waylon and Me". (David Allen Coe)

  2. Re: OT Re: AV program [Afterthought]

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 11.09.2007 22:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real Bev
    >> to generate the following:? :

    >>> "Behold yon Cassius, he hath a lean and hungry look."
    >>>
    >>> Is that ancient Roman or Shakespearean dialect?
    >>>

    >> hmmmm - must be ol' man Willy, as the spelling is all wrong for Julius
    >> et al!
    >>
    >> reg

    > I guess he was singing "Willie , Waylon and Me". (David Allen Coe)

    I don't think DAC would sing anything about "Willie, Waylon,
    and me."
    http://www.projectplaylist.com/music...&search=search
    Unless we're talking about two different DACs.

    You might be thinking of Johnny Cash singing the Highwayman
    with Willie, Waylon, and Kristofferson

    I'll just meet you at alices restaurant instead.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: OT Re: AV program [Afterthought]

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>> On 11.09.2007 22:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real
    >>> Bev to generate the following:? :

    >>> hmmmm - must be ol' man Willy, as the spelling is all wrong for
    >>> Julius et al!
    >>>
    >>> reg

    >> I guess he was singing "Willie , Waylon and Me". (David Allen Coe)

    I have that song.

    > I don't think DAC would sing anything about "Willie, Waylon, and me."
    > http://www.projectplaylist.com/music...&search=search
    > Unless we're talking about two different DACs.
    >
    > You might be thinking of Johnny Cash singing the Highwayman with Willie,
    > Waylon, and Kristofferson.

    I have that song.

    > I'll just meet you at Alice's restaurant instead.

    If you go to iTunes and type in Willie, Waylon, and Me it will come up
    under four album titles for David Allen Coe Checked the site you gave
    None of the titles are on anything that iTunes sells.

  4. Re: OT Re: AV program

    "squaredancer" wrote in message
    news:AJadnUPAweKmaULbnZ2dnUVZ_v3inZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > On 06.09.2007 03:56, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    Well, I have been watching this thread, and as I have always used an av
    guard, it was with internet, having had a problem with my OE yesterday, I
    discovered that MS actually advise that e-mail scanning be turned off for
    mail clients

    see this

    http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

    John.

  5. Re: OT Re: AV program

    On 16.09.2007 12:15, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused John to
    generate the following:? :
    > "squaredancer" wrote in message
    > news:AJadnUPAweKmaULbnZ2dnUVZ_v3inZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >
    >> On 06.09.2007 03:56, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen to
    >> generate the following:? :

    hmmmm - I've never used OE but - maybe M$ doesn't trust it when a
    Scanner (protection against *BAD* things) is running??

    reg

  6. Re: OT Re: AV program

    On 9/16/2007 6:21 AM, squaredancer wrote:
    > On 16.09.2007 12:15, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused John to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> "squaredancer" wrote in message
    >> news:AJadnUPAweKmaULbnZ2dnUVZ_v3inZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >> Well, I have been watching this thread, and as I have always used an
    >> av guard, it was with internet, having had a problem with my OE
    >> yesterday, I discovered that MS actually advise that e-mail scanning
    >> be turned off for mail clients
    >>
    >> see this
    >>
    >> http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
    >>
    >> John.
    >>

    > hmmmm - I've never used OE but - maybe M$ doesn't trust it when a
    > Scanner (protection against *BAD* things) is running??
    >
    > reg

    No reg, the solution as quoted from the linked page is "Because of this
    tendency of attachments to infect, Microsoft has now set OE to block all
    attachments."

    --
    Irwin

  7. Re: OT Re: AV program

    "Irwin Greenwald"
    > No reg, the solution as quoted from the linked page is "Because of this
    > tendency of attachments to infect, Microsoft has now set OE to block all
    > attachments."

    I just ran into that, and that is not quite the case. I was collecting
    pictures from club members emailed to me and only had a problem with
    those from one member. She was using HTML mail, everyone else was
    using Plain Text. She thought she was using plain text and has no interest
    in stationary (background images) and other fonts. Fixed by unchecking item.

    Pictures absent in HTML email: Tools, Options, Security (Tab),
    [_] Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail.

    And it actually blocked them you can't change the setting to read them
    once received. Luckily had changed settings on web reader to keep
    email around for a while after being read so can be accessed by more
    than one computer.

    Also fixed her settings so she was not sending HTML (Rich text) by default.
    Tools, Options, Send, choose Plain Text for both Email and News.
    Can be overridden in an individual Email with Format, Rich Text (HTML)

    Since we both have new machines we have Windows Mail instead of OE
    running on Vista -- the only big difference I see is that email is now maintained
    as separate files (.eml) instead of going into massive .dbx files, so email is no longer subject
    to mass destruction by some AV programs and there are no dbx files that have
    to be compressed after email and news are read and/or deleted. The .dbx files
    were also subject to loss if mail was read in or system terminated while a .dbx file
    was being compressed though it never happened to me because I went offline
    and manually started compression. So now a defrag run on the hard drive takes
    care of compressing folders and internal compressing in the the mail/news is in the past.

    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie,

  8. Re: OT Re: AV program

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > On 9/16/2007 6:21 AM, squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 16.09.2007 12:15, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused John to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>> "squaredancer" wrote in message
    >>> news:AJadnUPAweKmaULbnZ2dnUVZ_v3inZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>> Well, I have been watching this thread, and as I have always used an
    >>> av guard, it was with internet, having had a problem with my OE
    >>> yesterday, I discovered that MS actually advise that e-mail scanning
    >>> be turned off for mail clients
    >>>
    >>> see this
    >>>
    >>> http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
    >>>
    >>> John.
    >>>

    >> hmmmm - I've never used OE but - maybe M$ doesn't trust it when a
    >> Scanner (protection against *BAD* things) is running??
    >>
    >> reg

    > No reg, the solution as quoted from the linked page is "Because of this
    > tendency of attachments to infect, Microsoft has now set OE to block all
    > attachments."

    However, I couldn't find anywhere in the referenced page where
    'Microsoft' advised turning AV-scanning off. What I saw was an
    opinion from an individual who'd earned an MS-MVP and a discussion
    on Symantec's pages about their alternative form of e-mail AV-scanning.

    From my interpretation, it could have been little more than
    Symantec marketing-speak saying "We do it better than those cheap
    guys who don't know any better". (I'm very open to someone pointing
    to a MS advisement.)

    And isn't OE's 'attachment blocking' simply an option the MS turns
    on by default? It's been ages since I've seen OE. I use 'Outlook' in
    our business office, but OE...? I'd expect that most people would
    turn 'attachment-blocking' off as one of their first actions.

    --
    Tom Liotta

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2