How to protect the html file developed through Mozilla Composer. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How to protect the html file developed through Mozilla Composer. - Mozilla ; Dear All: How can I prevent others to download my source code or modify it for their own use? I developed my webpage using Mozilla Composer. Thanks a lot! Joey...

  1. How to protect the html file developed through Mozilla Composer.

    Dear All:

    How can I prevent others to download my source code or modify it for
    their own use? I developed my webpage using Mozilla Composer.

    Thanks a lot!

    Joey

  2. Re: How to protect the html file developed through Mozilla Composer.

    Joey wrote:
    > Dear All:
    >
    > How can I prevent others to download my source code or modify it for
    > their own use? I developed my webpage using Mozilla Composer.
    >
    > Thanks a lot!
    >
    > Joey

    To prevent others from downloading your source HTML code, don't publish the
    page on the web. The page _cannot_ be rendered without downloading the source
    code somewhere (if only into memory), then "Save Page As...", or "View Source"
    followed by "Select All", "Copy" and (in an editor) "Paste" will save it where
    the user can edit it.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    "You'll never be the man your mother was!"

  3. Re: How to protect the html file developed through Mozilla Composer.

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > Joey wrote:
    >> Dear All:
    >>
    >> How can I prevent others to download my source code or modify it for
    >> their own use? I developed my webpage using Mozilla Composer.
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot!
    >>
    >> Joey
    >>

    > To prevent others from downloading your source HTML code, don't publish
    > the page on the web. The page _cannot_ be rendered without downloading
    > the source code somewhere (if only into memory), then "Save Page As...",
    > or "View Source" followed by "Select All", "Copy" and (in an editor)
    > "Paste" will save it where the user can edit it.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    And, what's so freaking special, or, what do you THINK is so freaking
    special, about your HTM/CSS/javascript/PHP/etc. code that you think
    makes it worth guarding?

    And, if it is that unique, why don't you look into the current state of
    copyright protection?

    Or are you just megalomaniacal in general?

    Have you determined, definitively, that the supposedly wonderful content
    you're trying to protect isn't already either published hundreds or
    thousands of times on the Web?

    Have you determined that, in fact, what you're trying (and cannot)
    protect merits protection?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  4. Re: How to protect the html file developed through Mozilla Composer.

    On 8/15/2007 1:02 PM, Joey wrote:
    > Dear All:
    >
    > How can I prevent others to download my source code or modify it for
    > their own use? I developed my webpage using Mozilla Composer.
    >
    > Thanks a lot!
    >
    > Joey

    A book -- the construct of paper fastened to a binding between covers
    with printing of text, graphics, etc on the paper -- cannot be protected
    by patent. The content of a book can be protected by copyright.

    Think of your HTML file as a book. The construct might not be
    protected, but the content can definitely be protected. Since you
    publish the content via the Web, the protection is provided by copyright.

    Whether your content is insipid drivel or golden prose, you might indeed
    consider copyrighting the content of each Web page.

    I do it. See my . Some friends
    thought I was silly until I started finding commercial Web pages
    plagiarizing my content. Most of them were pages for local real estate
    agents infringing on the copyright of my
    . I demand that they either pay me
    for my effort or stop the infringement immediately.

    --

    David E. Ross
    .

    bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation. 1997

  5. Re: How to protect the html file developed through Mozilla Composer.

    Joey wrote in
    news:1187208163.372726.117860@e9g2000prf.googlegro ups.com:

    > Dear All:
    >
    > How can I prevent others to download my source code or modify
    > it for their own use? I developed my webpage using Mozilla
    > Composer.

    You don't own the "source code" for your webpage, any more than
    someone can own grammar, or the alphabet. Every string was
    developed by someone else and approved for use by the w3c. how
    do I know this? Because if you didn't, no can view the page.

    All you own is the actual content, not the method for viewing it.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    I'D RATHER HAVE A PRESIDENT WHO SCREWED HIS INTERN THAN ONE WHO
    SCREWED HIS COUNTRY

  6. Re: How to protect the html file developed through Mozilla Composer.

    "David E. Ross" wrote in
    newsZadncWsjMu0El7bnZ2dnUVZ_oaonZ2d@mozilla.org:

    > Whether your content is insipid drivel or golden prose, you
    > might indeed consider copyrighting the content of each Web
    > page.

    Actually, your pages were protected by copyright the moment you
    created it. It takes no action to copyright something beyond
    creating it. Even this post is covered by copyright.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    Because it's there.

  7. Re: How to protect the html file developed through Mozilla Composer.

    Christopher Jahn wrote:
    > "David E. Ross" wrote in
    > newsZadncWsjMu0El7bnZ2dnUVZ_oaonZ2d@mozilla.org:
    >
    >> Whether your content is insipid drivel or golden prose, you
    >> might indeed consider copyrighting the content of each Web
    >> page.

    > Actually, your pages were protected by copyright the moment you
    > created it. It takes no action to copyright something beyond
    > creating it. Even this post is covered by copyright.

    Yes, but when going to court about copyright disputes, the problem usually
    consists in establishing a "certain date" for the copyrighted material. You
    can do that "by all lawful means" but what kind of proofs will be accepted by
    courts may vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. In some countries like
    mine, you can deposit a copy of, for instance, a manuscript or typescript for
    a book, with any of a number of recognised "societies of authors", who will
    then testify, if and when called to court, that this copy existed at the date
    you gave it to them.

    Whenever two people both declare themselves to be the author (and therefore
    copyright holder) of a single copyrighted work, whoever can establish the
    earlier "certain date" wins.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Romeo wasn't bilked in a day.
    -- Walt Kelly, "Ten Ever-Lovin' Blue-Eyed Years With

  8. Re: How to protect the html file developed through Mozilla Composer.

    On 16.08.2007 01:14, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen to
    generate the following:? :
    > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >
    >> Joey wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dear All:
    >>>
    >>> How can I prevent others to download my source code or modify it for
    >>> their own use? I developed my webpage using Mozilla Composer.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks a lot!
    >>>
    >>> Joey
    >>>

    >> To prevent others from downloading your source HTML code, don't publish
    >> the page on the web. The page _cannot_ be rendered without downloading
    >> the source code somewhere (if only into memory), then "Save Page As...",
    >> or "View Source" followed by "Select All", "Copy" and (in an editor)
    >> "Paste" will save it where the user can edit it.
    >>

    >> Best regards,
    >> Tony.
    >>

    > And, what's so freaking special, or, what do you THINK is so freaking
    > special, about your HTM/CSS/javascript/PHP/etc. code that you think
    > makes it worth guarding?
    >
    > And, if it is that unique, why don't you look into the current state of
    > copyright protection?
    >
    > Or are you just megalomaniacal in general?
    >
    > Have you determined, definitively, that the supposedly wonderful content
    > you're trying to protect isn't already either published hundreds or
    > thousands of times on the Web?
    >
    > Have you determined that, in fact, what you're trying (and cannot)
    > protect merits protection?

    and "good morning to you too, Sir"

    Hi Ed - great to see you're still around - how's the whisky supply??

    reg

  9. Re: How to protect the html file developed through Mozilla Composer.

    squaredancer wrote:

    > and "good morning to you too, Sir"
    >
    > Hi Ed - great to see you're still around - how's the whisky supply??
    >
    > reg

    Restocked yesterday! ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  10. Re: How to protect the html file developed through Mozilla Composer.

    Tony Mechelynck wrote in
    newsd6dnb9UW-Q6LV7bnZ2dnUVZ_qSonZ2d@mozilla.org:

    > In some countries like
    > mine, you can deposit a copy of, for instance, a manuscript or
    > typescript for a book, with any of a number of recognised
    > "societies of authors", who will then testify, if and when
    > called to court, that this copy existed at the date you gave
    > it to them.

    Another common method is to send the material to yourself
    "certified mail," which is timestamped and sealed by the post
    office. While these methods can aid in a copyright infringement
    suit, they are not necessary to obtain copyright; its inherent in
    the creation of the work.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    Beyond good and evil lies North Dakota.

  11. Re: How to protect the html file developed through Mozilla Composer.

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:02:43 -0700, in message <1187208163.372726.117860@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.c om>,
    Joey wrote:

    > How can I prevent others to download my source code or modify it for
    > their own use? I developed my webpage using Mozilla Composer.

    Have you checked out these links?
    http://www.google.com/search?num=100...tect+your+html

    Just be aware that at the end of the day, these only put hurdles,
    not impenetrable walls, in the way of someone who wants to steal
    your HTML.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

  12. Re: How to protect the html file developed through Mozilla Composer.

    Christopher Jahn wrote:
    > Tony Mechelynck wrote in
    > newsd6dnb9UW-Q6LV7bnZ2dnUVZ_qSonZ2d@mozilla.org:
    >
    >> In some countries like
    >> mine, you can deposit a copy of, for instance, a manuscript or
    >> typescript for a book, with any of a number of recognised
    >> "societies of authors", who will then testify, if and when
    >> called to court, that this copy existed at the date you gave
    >> it to them.

    > Another common method is to send the material to yourself
    > "certified mail," which is timestamped and sealed by the post
    > office. While these methods can aid in a copyright infringement
    > suit, they are not necessary to obtain copyright; its inherent in
    > the creation of the work.

    The latter is common, but I've heard it said that in some jurisdictions,
    judges are skeptical of its unforgeability (considering what you can do to a
    sealed envelope with hot steam and paper glue).

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Board the windows, up your car insurance, and don't leave any booze in
    plain sight. It's St. Patrick's day in Chicago again. The legend has

  13. Re: How to protect the html file developed through Mozilla Composer.

    On 8/16/2007 6:37 PM, Christopher Jahn wrote:
    > Tony Mechelynck wrote in
    > newsd6dnb9UW-Q6LV7bnZ2dnUVZ_qSonZ2d@mozilla.org:
    >
    >> In some countries like
    >> mine, you can deposit a copy of, for instance, a manuscript or
    >> typescript for a book, with any of a number of recognised
    >> "societies of authors", who will then testify, if and when
    >> called to court, that this copy existed at the date you gave
    >> it to them.

    > Another common method is to send the material to yourself
    > "certified mail," which is timestamped and sealed by the post
    > office. While these methods can aid in a copyright infringement
    > suit, they are not necessary to obtain copyright; its inherent in
    > the creation of the work.

    You can do this electronically. Use PGP or GPG to create a detached
    ASCII digital signature of the HTML file. Send the signature file (not
    the HTML file) to a digital time-stamping service such as
    . Save the reply.

    Your own digital signature shows that you had access to the HTML file.
    The external time-stamping reply verifies the date on which you signed
    your HTML file.

    Of course, you will have to repeat this every time you change the HTML
    file.

    --

    David E. Ross
    .

    bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation. 1997

  14. Re: How to protect the html file developed through Mozilla Composer.

    Thanks to all friends for the answers . : )

    Joey

+ Reply to Thread