big time censorship happening - Mozilla

This is a discussion on big time censorship happening - Mozilla ; Big time censorship has happened on the mozilla.support.firefox newsgroup. There was a thread started entitled "Censorship by Firefox on this newsgroup is a Disgrace." If you view that thread within the news.mozilla.org server, then you'll notice that quite a few ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 121

  1. big time censorship happening

    Big time censorship has happened on the mozilla.support.firefox
    newsgroup. There was a thread started entitled "Censorship by Firefox
    on this newsgroup is a Disgrace." If you view that thread within the
    news.mozilla.org server, then you'll notice that quite a few of the
    messages have been removed. They're still on the google server, but not
    the mozilla one. I only looked at a few that have disappeared such as:

> [...]

    but they're not all from the same person. They are from Jay,
    Squaredancer, Rinaldi, Rob, Andres, John, Rob, Blinky, Pete, just to
    name a few.

    I wonder. Who's doing the deleting? Chris, Nir, or someone else? Have
    each of these individuals been contacted regarding the removal of their
    message? There is a cancellation policy:
    http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html where an individual
    must be contacted by email or within the newsgroup, about their OT
    problem within that newsgroup.

    But at the end of that page it says:

    "Other Newsgroups Cancellation Policy

    Currently, no non-spam messages are cancelled in other Mozilla newsgroups."

    If there are no other cancellation Policy in effect, then why are these
    messages being removed?

    --
    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. And only
    click on the Reply button, not the Reply All one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  2. Re: big time censorship happening

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > Big time censorship has happened on the mozilla.support.firefox newsgroup.
    > There was a thread started entitled "Censorship by Firefox on this
    > newsgroup is a Disgrace." If you view that thread within the
    > news.mozilla.org server, then you'll notice that quite a few of the
    > messages have been removed. They're still on the google server, but not
    > the mozilla one. I only looked at a few that have disappeared such as:

    I saw that last night (or early this morning, Sunday, US Pacific TZ).

    > but they're not all from the same person. They are from Jay,
    > Squaredancer, Rinaldi, Rob, Andres, John, Rob, Blinky, Pete, just to
    > name a few.

    Ayup. I wonder if this is going to start happening in *this* group as
    well.

    > I wonder. Who's doing the deleting? Chris, Nir, or someone else? Have
    > each of these individuals been contacted regarding the removal of their
    > message? There is a cancellation policy:

    I sure haven't; but then I don't fly a deliverable address so it would've
    had to come here in the group. (And might've been deleted.)

    > http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html where an individual
    > must be contacted by email or within the newsgroup, about their OT
    > problem within that newsgroup.
    >
    > But at the end of that page it says:
    >
    > "Other Newsgroups Cancellation Policy
    >
    > Currently, no non-spam messages are cancelled in other Mozilla
    > newsgroups."
    >
    > If there are no other cancellation Policy in effect, then why are these
    > messages being removed?

    Is the server vulnerable to rogue cancels by non-admin identities?
    Perhaps I'm naive, but I'd sooner expect this to be malicious activity
    than "official" moz procedure.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  3. Re: big time censorship happening

    On 10/06/2007 20:38, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
    the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :
    > Big time censorship has happened on the mozilla.support.firefox
    > newsgroup. There was a thread started entitled "Censorship by Firefox
    > on this newsgroup is a Disgrace." If you view that thread within the
    > news.mozilla.org server, then you'll notice that quite a few of the
    > messages have been removed. They're still on the google server, but not
    > the mozilla one. I only looked at a few that have disappeared such as:

    > but they're not all from the same person. They are from Jay,
    > Squaredancer, Rinaldi, Rob, Andres, John, Rob, Blinky, Pete, just to
    > name a few.
    >
    > I wonder. Who's doing the deleting? Chris, Nir, or someone else? Have
    > each of these individuals been contacted regarding the removal of their
    > message? There is a cancellation policy:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html where an individual
    > must be contacted by email or within the newsgroup, about their OT
    > problem within that newsgroup.
    >
    > But at the end of that page it says:
    >
    > "Other Newsgroups Cancellation Policy
    >
    > Currently, no non-spam messages are cancelled in other Mozilla newsgroups."
    >
    > If there are no other cancellation Policy in effect, then why are these
    > messages being removed?

    http://img158.imageshack.us/my.php?i...board01td0.jpg

    but the message can be read here (prior to the last posting)

    Chris I /superstooge Nir have also cancelled (at least one of my...)
    posts in the MTMM group - *AFTER* Joe was given the moderator seat!

    reg

    for cancellations/deletions on *THIS GROUP*

    reg

  4. Re: big time censorship happening

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 10/06/2007 20:38, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
    > the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :
    >> Big time censorship has happened on the mozilla.support.firefox
    >> newsgroup. There was a thread started entitled "Censorship by Firefox
    >> on this newsgroup is a Disgrace." If you view that thread within the
    >> news.mozilla.org server, then you'll notice that quite a few of the
    >> messages have been removed. They're still on the google server, but
    >> not the mozilla one. I only looked at a few that have disappeared
    >> such as:

    >> but they're not all from the same person. They are from Jay,
    >> Squaredancer, Rinaldi, Rob, Andres, John, Rob, Blinky, Pete, just to
    >> name a few.
    >>
    >> I wonder. Who's doing the deleting? Chris, Nir, or someone else?
    >> Have each of these individuals been contacted regarding the removal of
    >> their message? There is a cancellation policy:
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html where an individual
    >> must be contacted by email or within the newsgroup, about their OT
    >> problem within that newsgroup.
    >>
    >> But at the end of that page it says:
    >>
    >> "Other Newsgroups Cancellation Policy
    >>
    >> Currently, no non-spam messages are cancelled in other Mozilla
    >> newsgroups."
    >>
    >> If there are no other cancellation Policy in effect, then why are
    >> these messages being removed?
    >>

    > http://img158.imageshack.us/my.php?i...board01td0.jpg
    >
    > but the message can be read here (prior to the last posting)
    >

    > Chris I /superstooge Nir have also cancelled (at least one of my...)
    > posts in the MTMM group - *AFTER* Joe was given the moderator seat!
    >
    > reg
    >
    > for cancellations/deletions on *THIS GROUP*
    >
    > reg

    tell me something reg. Did anyone contact you, in either case [in the
    FF or mtmm groups], and inform you that your postings were going to be
    removed/deleted/expire or whatever? They're supposed to do this in
    accordance with the cancellation policy set forth here:
    http://www.mozilla.org/community/can...cellation.html

    --
    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. And only
    click on the Reply button, not the Reply All one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  5. Re: big time censorship happening

    On 10/06/2007 22:09, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
    the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 10/06/2007 20:38, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
    >> the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> Big time censorship has happened on the mozilla.support.firefox
    >>> newsgroup. There was a thread started entitled "Censorship by Firefox
    >>> on this newsgroup is a Disgrace." If you view that thread within the
    >>> news.mozilla.org server, then you'll notice that quite a few of the
    >>> messages have been removed. They're still on the google server, but
    >>> not the mozilla one. I only looked at a few that have disappeared
    >>> such as:

    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/LcOdndvb...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/LcOdndvb...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/466AC862...enior.Envision
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/XbSdnaHx...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/wI6dnZNa...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/9OmdnX2T...2d@mozilla.org
    >>>
    >>> but they're not all from the same person. They are from Jay,
    >>> Squaredancer, Rinaldi, Rob, Andres, John, Rob, Blinky, Pete, just to
    >>> name a few.
    >>>
    >>> I wonder. Who's doing the deleting? Chris, Nir, or someone else?
    >>> Have each of these individuals been contacted regarding the removal of
    >>> their message? There is a cancellation policy:
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html where an individual
    >>> must be contacted by email or within the newsgroup, about their OT
    >>> problem within that newsgroup.
    >>>
    >>> But at the end of that page it says:
    >>>
    >>> "Other Newsgroups Cancellation Policy
    >>>
    >>> Currently, no non-spam messages are cancelled in other Mozilla
    >>> newsgroups."
    >>>
    >>> If there are no other cancellation Policy in effect, then why are
    >>> these messages being removed?
    >>>

    >> http://img158.imageshack.us/my.php?i...board01td0.jpg
    >>
    >> but the message can be read here (prior to the last posting)
    >>

    >> Chris I /superstooge Nir have also cancelled (at least one of my...)
    >> posts in the MTMM group - *AFTER* Joe was given the moderator seat!
    >>
    >> reg
    >>
    >> for cancellations/deletions on *THIS GROUP*
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    > tell me something reg. Did anyone contact you, in either case [in the
    > FF or mtmm groups], and inform you that your postings were going to be
    > removed/deleted/expire or whatever? They're supposed to do this in
    > accordance with the cancellation policy set forth here:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/community/can...cellation.html

    I was warned off in the "general amnesty" that followed the big
    upheaval, as were several others (The Real Bev is one who admitted it
    *lol*) - since then, I have had several posts "expired" / died an
    unnatural death.

    In the MTMM I was banned long, long ago for putting a screenshot there
    that belonged to one of my descriptive solutions (in the days when it
    was deemed good to show a questioner "how" it was done) - since then, I
    have been on the "moderator approval list", with many posts deemed "not
    suitable" - much to the annoyance of Joe, who has kindly put me back
    onto the subscriber list!

    Seems like it is soon time to stop kicking ass, and to start on the teeth!

    reg

  6. Re: big time censorship happening

    On 10/06/2007 22:09, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
    the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 10/06/2007 20:38, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
    >> the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> Big time censorship has happened on the mozilla.support.firefox
    >>> newsgroup. There was a thread started entitled "Censorship by Firefox
    >>> on this newsgroup is a Disgrace." If you view that thread within the
    >>> news.mozilla.org server, then you'll notice that quite a few of the
    >>> messages have been removed. They're still on the google server, but
    >>> not the mozilla one. I only looked at a few that have disappeared
    >>> such as:

    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/LcOdndvb...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/LcOdndvb...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/466AC862...enior.Envision
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/XbSdnaHx...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/wI6dnZNa...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/9OmdnX2T...2d@mozilla.org
    >>>
    >>> but they're not all from the same person. They are from Jay,
    >>> Squaredancer, Rinaldi, Rob, Andres, John, Rob, Blinky, Pete, just to
    >>> name a few.
    >>>
    >>> I wonder. Who's doing the deleting? Chris, Nir, or someone else?
    >>> Have each of these individuals been contacted regarding the removal of
    >>> their message? There is a cancellation policy:
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html where an individual
    >>> must be contacted by email or within the newsgroup, about their OT
    >>> problem within that newsgroup.
    >>>
    >>> But at the end of that page it says:
    >>>
    >>> "Other Newsgroups Cancellation Policy
    >>>
    >>> Currently, no non-spam messages are cancelled in other Mozilla
    >>> newsgroups."
    >>>
    >>> If there are no other cancellation Policy in effect, then why are
    >>> these messages being removed?
    >>>

    >> http://img158.imageshack.us/my.php?i...board01td0.jpg
    >>
    >> but the message can be read here (prior to the last posting)
    >>

    >> Chris I /superstooge Nir have also cancelled (at least one of my...)
    >> posts in the MTMM group - *AFTER* Joe was given the moderator seat!
    >>
    >> reg
    >>
    >> for cancellations/deletions on *THIS GROUP*
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    > tell me something reg. Did anyone contact you, in either case [in the
    > FF or mtmm groups], and inform you that your postings were going to be
    > removed/deleted/expire or whatever? They're supposed to do this in
    > accordance with the cancellation policy set forth here:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/community/can...cellation.html

    got a 404 on that URL.... has Moz already revised the cancellation
    policy - or are they smokescreening their own crap??

    reg

  7. Re: big time censorship happening

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Big time censorship has happened on the mozilla.support.firefox
    > newsgroup. There was a thread started entitled "Censorship by Firefox
    > on this newsgroup is a Disgrace." If you view that thread within the
    > news.mozilla.org server, then you'll notice that quite a few of the
    > messages have been removed. They're still on the google server, but not
    > the mozilla one. I only looked at a few that have disappeared such as:

    > but they're not all from the same person. They are from Jay,
    > Squaredancer, Rinaldi, Rob, Andres, John, Rob, Blinky, Pete, just to
    > name a few.
    >
    > I wonder. Who's doing the deleting? Chris, Nir, or someone else? Have
    > each of these individuals been contacted regarding the removal of their
    > message? There is a cancellation policy:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html where an individual
    > must be contacted by email or within the newsgroup, about their OT
    > problem within that newsgroup.
    >
    > But at the end of that page it says:
    >
    > "Other Newsgroups Cancellation Policy
    >
    > Currently, no non-spam messages are cancelled in other Mozilla newsgroups."
    >
    > If there are no other cancellation Policy in effect, then why are these
    > messages being removed?

    I don't quite get what's going on. What can I do to track these missing
    messages on Google Groups?, is there some kind of ID I can use?. I'm
    intrigued about your mention that one of the "disappeared" messages was
    mine.

  8. Re: big time censorship happening PS.....

    On 10/06/2007 23:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused squaredancer
    to generate the following:? :
    > On 10/06/2007 22:09, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
    > the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :
    >
    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>

    >>> On 10/06/2007 20:38, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
    >>> the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :

    >>> http://img158.imageshack.us/my.php?i...board01td0.jpg
    >>>
    >>> but the message can be read here (prior to the last posting)
    >>>

    >>> Chris I /superstooge Nir have also cancelled (at least one of my...)
    >>> posts in the MTMM group - *AFTER* Joe was given the moderator seat!
    >>>
    >>> reg
    >>>
    >>> for cancellations/deletions on *THIS GROUP*
    >>>
    >>> reg
    >>>

    >> tell me something reg. Did anyone contact you, in either case [in the
    >> FF or mtmm groups], and inform you that your postings were going to be
    >> removed/deleted/expire or whatever? They're supposed to do this in
    >> accordance with the cancellation policy set forth here:
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/community/can...cellation.html
    >>

    > got a 404 on that URL.... has Moz already revised the cancellation
    > policy - or are they smokescreening their own crap??
    >
    > reg

    ahhhhh! I see why - the URL is doubled-up in your post! One half works
    as intended (smokescreen lifted)

    reg

  9. Re: big time censorship happening

    On 10/06/2007 23:24, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Andrés M. to
    generate the following:? :
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    >> Big time censorship has happened on the mozilla.support.firefox
    >> newsgroup. There was a thread started entitled "Censorship by Firefox
    >> on this newsgroup is a Disgrace." If you view that thread within the
    >> news.mozilla.org server, then you'll notice that quite a few of the
    >> messages have been removed. They're still on the google server, but not
    >> the mozilla one. I only looked at a few that have disappeared such as:

    >> but they're not all from the same person. They are from Jay,
    >> Squaredancer, Rinaldi, Rob, Andres, John, Rob, Blinky, Pete, just to
    >> name a few.
    >>
    >> I wonder. Who's doing the deleting? Chris, Nir, or someone else? Have
    >> each of these individuals been contacted regarding the removal of their
    >> message? There is a cancellation policy:
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html where an individual
    >> must be contacted by email or within the newsgroup, about their OT
    >> problem within that newsgroup.
    >>
    >> But at the end of that page it says:
    >>
    >> "Other Newsgroups Cancellation Policy
    >>
    >> Currently, no non-spam messages are cancelled in other Mozilla newsgroups."
    >>
    >> If there are no other cancellation Policy in effect, then why are these
    >> messages being removed?
    >>

    > I don't quite get what's going on. What can I do to track these missing
    > messages on Google Groups?, is there some kind of ID I can use?. I'm
    > intrigued about your mention that one of the "disappeared" messages was
    > mine.

    you must have been a naughty boy, Andrés - did you backchat Chris I ???

    reg

  10. Re: big time censorship happening

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 10/06/2007 23:24, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Andrés M. to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>
    >>> Big time censorship has happened on the mozilla.support.firefox
    >>> newsgroup. There was a thread started entitled "Censorship by
    >>> Firefox on this newsgroup is a Disgrace." If you view that thread
    >>> within the news.mozilla.org server, then you'll notice that quite a
    >>> few of the messages have been removed. They're still on the google
    >>> server, but not the mozilla one. I only looked at a few that have
    >>> disappeared such as:

    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/LcOdndvb...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/LcOdndvb...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/466AC862...enior.Envision
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/XbSdnaHx...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/wI6dnZNa...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/9OmdnX2T...2d@mozilla.org
    >>>
    >>> but they're not all from the same person. They are from Jay,
    >>> Squaredancer, Rinaldi, Rob, Andres, John, Rob, Blinky, Pete, just to
    >>> name a few.
    >>>
    >>> I wonder. Who's doing the deleting? Chris, Nir, or someone else?
    >>> Have each of these individuals been contacted regarding the removal
    >>> of their message? There is a cancellation policy:
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html where an
    >>> individual must be contacted by email or within the newsgroup, about
    >>> their OT problem within that newsgroup.
    >>>
    >>> But at the end of that page it says:
    >>>
    >>> "Other Newsgroups Cancellation Policy
    >>>
    >>> Currently, no non-spam messages are cancelled in other Mozilla
    >>> newsgroups."
    >>>
    >>> If there are no other cancellation Policy in effect, then why are
    >>> these messages being removed?
    >>>

    >> I don't quite get what's going on. What can I do to track these
    >> missing messages on Google Groups?, is there some kind of ID I can
    >> use?. I'm intrigued about your mention that one of the "disappeared"
    >> messages was mine.
    >>

    > you must have been a naughty boy, Andrés - did you backchat Chris I ???
    >
    > reg

    All my posts have been here, except for two private mails exchanged with
    someone named Frank regarding a webpage that was having problems when
    rendered in Firefox. I refrained from sending private mails to nobody
    about the current interlude in the censorship thread, trusting
    moderators would do whatever was necessary according to the group rules.

    Still now that I'm following the whole thread I can recall a couple of
    messages of mine that aren't there anymore. My last one doesn't appear
    at all and the first one I wrote last Saturday appears blank.

    Ahh well, I guess I can blame a bit of all this on myself since I
    shouldn't have fed a troll. Yet if according to the same rules I should
    have gotten a warning I must say I got none at all.

  11. Re: big time censorship happening

    In article , Peter
    Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:

    > Big time censorship has happened on the mozilla.support.firefox
    > newsgroup. There was a thread started entitled "Censorship by Firefox
    > on this newsgroup is a Disgrace." If you view that thread within the
    > news.mozilla.org server, then you'll notice that quite a few of the
    > messages have been removed. They're still on the google server, but not
    > the mozilla one. I only looked at a few that have disappeared such as:

    > but they're not all from the same person. They are from Jay,
    > Squaredancer, Rinaldi, Rob, Andres, John, Rob, Blinky, Pete, just to
    > name a few.
    >
    > I wonder. Who's doing the deleting?

    That was me. The thread was started by someone already under the
    cancellation policy for trolling, and since there was no meaningful
    content, I deleted the entire thread. People replying to trolls only
    encourage them.

    The content of that thread better belonged here in this newsgroup
    (which is where it's now happening).

    --
    Dave Miller http://www.justdave.net/
    System Administrator, Mozilla Corporation http://www.mozilla.com/

  12. Re: big time censorship happening

    Andrés M. wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Big time censorship has happened on the mozilla.support.firefox
    >> newsgroup. There was a thread started entitled "Censorship by Firefox
    >> on this newsgroup is a Disgrace." If you view that thread within the
    >> news.mozilla.org server, then you'll notice that quite a few of the
    >> messages have been removed. They're still on the google server, but
    >> not the mozilla one. I only looked at a few that have disappeared
    >> such as:

    >> but they're not all from the same person. They are from Jay,
    >> Squaredancer, Rinaldi, Rob, Andres, John, Rob, Blinky, Pete, just to
    >> name a few.
    >>
    >> I wonder. Who's doing the deleting? Chris, Nir, or someone else?
    >> Have each of these individuals been contacted regarding the removal of
    >> their message? There is a cancellation policy:
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html where an individual
    >> must be contacted by email or within the newsgroup, about their OT
    >> problem within that newsgroup.
    >>
    >> But at the end of that page it says:
    >>
    >> "Other Newsgroups Cancellation Policy
    >>
    >> Currently, no non-spam messages are cancelled in other Mozilla
    >> newsgroups."
    >>
    >> If there are no other cancellation Policy in effect, then why are
    >> these messages being removed?
    >>

    > I don't quite get what's going on. What can I do to track these missing
    > messages on Google Groups?, is there some kind of ID I can use?. I'm
    > intrigued about your mention that one of the "disappeared" messages was
    > mine.

    to find your message on google groups take some hunting around. What
    I've done is find your message on the news.mozilla.org server, right
    click on select Copy Message Location. For your message here, this is
    what I get:

    Now, I paste everything into the message ID section, which is located at
    the bottom of google groups advanced search which is located here
    located here: http://groups.google.com/advanced_search. After the
    paste, I remove news://news.mozilla.org:119/ and search for everything
    after all that.

    --
    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. And only
    click on the Reply button, not the Reply All one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  13. Re: big time censorship happening

    Dave Miller wrote:
    > In article , Peter
    > Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Big time censorship has happened on the mozilla.support.firefox
    >> newsgroup. There was a thread started entitled "Censorship by Firefox
    >> on this newsgroup is a Disgrace." If you view that thread within the
    >> news.mozilla.org server, then you'll notice that quite a few of the
    >> messages have been removed. They're still on the google server, but not
    >> the mozilla one. I only looked at a few that have disappeared such as:

    >> but they're not all from the same person. They are from Jay,
    >> Squaredancer, Rinaldi, Rob, Andres, John, Rob, Blinky, Pete, just to
    >> name a few.
    >>
    >> I wonder. Who's doing the deleting?

    > That was me. The thread was started by someone already under the
    > cancellation policy for trolling, and since there was no meaningful
    > content, I deleted the entire thread. People replying to trolls only
    > encourage them.
    >
    > The content of that thread better belonged here in this newsgroup
    > (which is where it's now happening).

    Then my question to you Dave is: was everyone contacted regarding their
    posting being removed? This is in accordance with the Cancellation
    Policy as set forth here:
    http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html.

    Since most of those postings don't fit the cancellation policy already
    set forth, and there are "Currently, no non-spam messages are cancelled
    in other Mozilla newsgroups," then how can those messages be removed?

    --
    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. And only
    click on the Reply button, not the Reply All one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  14. Re: big time censorship happening

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Dave Miller wrote:
    >> In article , Peter
    >> Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Big time censorship has happened on the mozilla.support.firefox
    >>> newsgroup. There was a thread started entitled "Censorship by
    >>> Firefox on this newsgroup is a Disgrace." If you view that thread
    >>> within the news.mozilla.org server, then you'll notice that quite a
    >>> few of the messages have been removed. They're still on the google
    >>> server, but not the mozilla one. I only looked at a few that have
    >>> disappeared such as:

    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/LcOdndvb...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/LcOdndvb...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/466AC862...enior.Envision
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/XbSdnaHx...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/wI6dnZNa...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/9OmdnX2T...2d@mozilla.org
    >>>
    >>> but they're not all from the same person. They are from Jay,
    >>> Squaredancer, Rinaldi, Rob, Andres, John, Rob, Blinky, Pete, just to
    >>> name a few.
    >>>
    >>> I wonder. Who's doing the deleting?

    >> That was me. The thread was started by someone already under the
    >> cancellation policy for trolling, and since there was no meaningful
    >> content, I deleted the entire thread. People replying to trolls only
    >> encourage them.
    >>
    >> The content of that thread better belonged here in this newsgroup
    >> (which is where it's now happening).
    >>

    > Then my question to you Dave is: was everyone contacted regarding their
    > posting being removed? This is in accordance with the Cancellation
    > Policy as set forth here:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html.
    >
    > Since most of those postings don't fit the cancellation policy already
    > set forth, and there are "Currently, no non-spam messages are cancelled
    > in other Mozilla newsgroups," then how can those messages be removed?

    furthermore, the entire thread was/is not removed. You removed just
    about everyone elses postings except the one making the complaint.

    --
    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. And only
    click on the Reply button, not the Reply All one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  15. Re: big time censorship happening

    In article , Peter
    Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:

    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > > Dave Miller wrote:
    > >> That was me. The thread was started by someone already under the
    > >> cancellation policy for trolling, and since there was no meaningful
    > >> content, I deleted the entire thread. People replying to trolls only
    > >> encourage them.
    > >>
    > >> The content of that thread better belonged here in this newsgroup
    > >> (which is where it's now happening).

    > > Then my question to you Dave is: was everyone contacted regarding their
    > > posting being removed? This is in accordance with the Cancellation
    > > Policy as set forth here:
    > > http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html.

    No, they weren't, for which I apologize. There's other folks usually
    taking care of this stuff, and I only wind up involved when there's
    major problems and someone calls for help. I just came in trying to do
    damage control, and that thread was already entirely out of hand when I
    found it. The people replying to the troll were just as off-topic as
    the troll, but yes, in hindsight, they should have been notified.

    > furthermore, the entire thread was/is not removed. You removed just
    > about everyone elses postings except the one making the complaint.

    Those will be gone, too, eventually. The stuff that didn't originate
    on news.mozilla.org takes longer to process, and those apparently
    haven't gone through yet (but they're in the queue).

    --
    Dave Miller http://www.justdave.net/
    System Administrator, Mozilla Corporation http://www.mozilla.com/

  16. Re: big time censorship happening

    On 11/06/2007 06:52, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
    the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :
    > Andrés M. wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>
    >>> Big time censorship has happened on the mozilla.support.firefox
    >>> newsgroup. There was a thread started entitled "Censorship by Firefox
    >>> on this newsgroup is a Disgrace." If you view that thread within the
    >>> news.mozilla.org server, then you'll notice that quite a few of the
    >>> messages have been removed. They're still on the google server, but
    >>> not the mozilla one. I only looked at a few that have disappeared
    >>> such as:

    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/LcOdndvb...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/LcOdndvb...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/466AC862...enior.Envision
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/XbSdnaHx...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/wI6dnZNa...2d@mozilla.org
    >>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/9OmdnX2T...2d@mozilla.org
    >>>
    >>> but they're not all from the same person. They are from Jay,
    >>> Squaredancer, Rinaldi, Rob, Andres, John, Rob, Blinky, Pete, just to
    >>> name a few.
    >>>
    >>> I wonder. Who's doing the deleting? Chris, Nir, or someone else?
    >>> Have each of these individuals been contacted regarding the removal of
    >>> their message? There is a cancellation policy:
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html where an individual
    >>> must be contacted by email or within the newsgroup, about their OT
    >>> problem within that newsgroup.
    >>>
    >>> But at the end of that page it says:
    >>>
    >>> "Other Newsgroups Cancellation Policy
    >>>
    >>> Currently, no non-spam messages are cancelled in other Mozilla
    >>> newsgroups."
    >>>
    >>> If there are no other cancellation Policy in effect, then why are
    >>> these messages being removed?
    >>>

    >> I don't quite get what's going on. What can I do to track these missing
    >> messages on Google Groups?, is there some kind of ID I can use?. I'm
    >> intrigued about your mention that one of the "disappeared" messages was
    >> mine.
    >>

    > to find your message on google groups take some hunting around. What
    > I've done is find your message on the news.mozilla.org server, right
    > click on select Copy Message Location. For your message here, this is
    > what I get:
    >
    > Now, I paste everything into the message ID section, which is located at
    > the bottom of google groups advanced search which is located here
    > located here: http://groups.google.com/advanced_search. After the
    > paste, I remove news://news.mozilla.org:119/ and search for everything
    > after all that.

    huh, Grant.... I heard that the CIA is employing intelligent people
    again (the "I" part of CIA).. maybe you should apply, with your
    qualities *lol*

    reg

  17. Re: big time censorship happening

    On 11/06/2007 08:12, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Dave Miller to
    generate the following:? :
    > In article , Peter
    > Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> Then my question to you Dave is: was everyone contacted regarding their
    >>> posting being removed? This is in accordance with the Cancellation
    >>> Policy as set forth here:
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html.
    >>>

    > No, they weren't, for which I apologize. There's other folks usually
    > taking care of this stuff,

    yes - I did notice (and mention) that the appointed, self-estimed Cyber
    Policeman, and his stooge, are lacking in concientious work-moral!

    Could it be that they have taken on more than they can chew??

    reg

    <>

  18. Re: big time censorship happening

    On 11.06.2007 01:12, Dave Miller wrote:

    >> > Then my question to you Dave is: was everyone contacted regarding their
    >> > posting being removed? This is in accordance with the Cancellation
    >> > Policy as set forth here:
    >> > http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html.

    > No, they weren't, for which I apologize. There's other folks usually
    > taking care of this stuff, and I only wind up involved when there's
    > major problems and someone calls for help. I just came in trying to do
    > damage control, and that thread was already entirely out of hand when I
    > found it. The people replying to the troll were just as off-topic as
    > the troll, but yes, in hindsight, they should have been notified.
    >
    >> furthermore, the entire thread was/is not removed. You removed just
    >> about everyone elses postings except the one making the complaint.

    > Those will be gone, too, eventually. The stuff that didn't originate
    > on news.mozilla.org takes longer to process, and those apparently
    > haven't gone through yet (but they're in the queue).

    Just an FYI and IMHO ... If I choose to participate in a known "troll
    thread", and I have here and the entire thread was cancelled by the
    admin or his duly authorized agents, I in no way would be offended by
    that action without being notified in advance. "Lay down with dogs and
    you get up with fleas", you takes yer chances ...

    Cheers

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  19. Re: big time censorship happening

    Dave Miller wrote:
    > In article , Peter
    > Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> Then my question to you Dave is: was everyone contacted regarding their
    >>> posting being removed? This is in accordance with the Cancellation
    >>> Policy as set forth here:
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html.

    > No, they weren't, for which I apologize. There's other folks usually
    > taking care of this stuff, and I only wind up involved when there's
    > major problems and someone calls for help. I just came in trying to do
    > damage control, and that thread was already entirely out of hand when I
    > found it. The people replying to the troll were just as off-topic as
    > the troll, but yes, in hindsight, they should have been notified.
    >
    >> furthermore, the entire thread was/is not removed. You removed just
    >> about everyone elses postings except the one making the complaint.

    > Those will be gone, too, eventually. The stuff that didn't originate
    > on news.mozilla.org takes longer to process, and those apparently
    > haven't gone through yet (but they're in the queue).

    then maybe new cancellation policy should be written regarding
    situations like this.

    --
    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. And only
    click on the Reply button, not the Reply All one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  20. Re: big time censorship happening

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 11.06.2007 01:12, Dave Miller wrote:

    you may not, but others would. This type of removal is not part of the
    Etiquette or Cancellation pages. If this type of removal is going to
    part of the cancellation policy, them something should be written to
    reflect this.