Linux pasting (was: How to open ff link bar entries in a new tab?) - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Linux pasting (was: How to open ff link bar entries in a new tab?) - Mozilla ; In , Brian Heinrich wrote: > On 2007-04-19 14:11 (-0600 UTC), Q wrote: > > > In PidnQExnetQN7rbnZ2dnUVZ_vGinZ2d@mozilla.org>, > > "David McRitchie" wrote: > > > >> and this will go against the grain of many Firefox users but the ...

  1. Linux pasting (was: How to open ff link bar entries in a new tab?)

    In ,
    Brian Heinrich wrote:

    > On 2007-04-19 14:11 (-0600 UTC), Q wrote:
    >
    > > In PidnQExnetQN7rbnZ2dnUVZ_vGinZ2d@mozilla.org>,
    > > "David McRitchie" wrote:
    > >
    > >> and this will go against the grain of many Firefox users but the
    > >> use of Middle-click is best set to "Enter" universally

    > > s/Enter/Paste

    > BTW, does anyone know if there's a keystroke combination that can be
    > used in place of middle-mouse-button-click? -- I can't for the life
    > of me figure out how to do this and maintain two clipboard
    > buffers. . . .

    The middle-click-paste of X doesn't actually use a buffer, but
    AFAIK there's not any keyboard mapping for it. Maybe xmodmap could
    help, I don't know.

    If you're also using some desktop's clipboard facility, it shouldn't
    interfere with way X is handling things.

    [Crossposted, fu set to m.general]

  2. Re: Linux pasting

    On 2007-04-22 17:42 (-0600 UTC), Q wrote:

    > In ,
    > Brian Heinrich wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-04-19 14:11 (-0600 UTC), Q wrote:

    >>> s/Enter/Paste

    >> BTW, does anyone know if there's a keystroke combination that can be
    >> used in place of middle-mouse-button-click? -- I can't for the life
    >> of me figure out how to do this and maintain two clipboard
    >> buffers. . . .

    > The middle-click-paste of X doesn't actually use a buffer, but
    > AFAIK there's not any keyboard mapping for it. Maybe xmodmap could
    > help, I don't know.
    >
    > If you're also using some desktop's clipboard facility, it shouldn't
    > interfere with way X is handling things.

    There do seem to be two separate buffers, tho' I'm not quite sure how it
    works. It's as if selecting moves the contents of that buffer to a
    different buffer and copies the selected contents; if you then use ^c or ^x,
    it's moved to a second buffer and the original contents of the first buffer
    are then restored. (If you're using KDE, you can see this if you play
    around with klipper.)

    If you use ^c or ^x, you can then use ^v or + to paste; I'm
    trying to figure out if there's a keystroke that's the equivalent of
    middle-mouse-button-click. OTBOWIK, ++ looks like it
    should do the trick, but doesn't. . . . :-\

    --
    /b.

    String quartets don't march very well.
    --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

  3. Re: Linux pasting

    Brian Heinrich wrote:
    > On 2007-04-22 17:42 (-0600 UTC), Q wrote:
    >
    >> In ,
    >> Brian Heinrich wrote:

    [...]
    >>> BTW, does anyone know if there's a keystroke combination that can be
    >>> used in place of middle-mouse-button-click? -- I can't for the life
    >>> of me figure out how to do this and maintain two clipboard
    >>> buffers. . . .

    >> The middle-click-paste of X doesn't actually use a buffer, but
    >> AFAIK there's not any keyboard mapping for it. Maybe xmodmap could
    >> help, I don't know.
    >>
    >> If you're also using some desktop's clipboard facility, it shouldn't
    >> interfere with way X is handling things.

    > There do seem to be two separate buffers, tho' I'm not quite sure how it
    > works. It's as if selecting moves the contents of that buffer to a
    > different buffer and copies the selected contents; if you then use ^c or
    > ^x, it's moved to a second buffer and the original contents of the first
    > buffer are then restored. (If you're using KDE, you can see this if you
    > play around with klipper.)
    >
    > If you use ^c or ^x, you can then use ^v or + to paste;
    > I'm trying to figure out if there's a keystroke that's the equivalent of
    > middle-mouse-button-click. OTBOWIK, ++ looks like
    > it should do the trick, but doesn't. . . . :-\
    >
    >> [Crossposted, fu set to m.general]

    In Vim you can read or write either using only keyboard shortcuts.

    When using register + (plus) you get what programs use with Edit=>Copy,
    Edit=>Cut, Edit=>Paste, ^C, ^X or ^V. IIUC, that is documented in X as the
    CLIPBOARD.

    When using register * (star) you get that middlemouse thingie, which (IIUC) is
    supposed to represent the latest thing that has been highlighted in any
    program. IIUC, it is documented in X as the PRIMARY selection. That selection
    has an "owner" which is the program instance in one of whose windows the text
    (or whatever) has been highlighted. When you try to paste it (by middle-mouse
    or similar), then the owner is "requested" for it.

    There is also a SECONDARY selection which is "ill-documented in X" and that's
    all I know about it.

    To make a keyboard shortcut do the equivalent of a middle-click (but at the
    mouse pointer location or at the text cursor location?) I suppose you would
    have to figure out which function to use (if any), then assign it to a key
    using (for instance) the keyconfig extension. I'm putting in "(if any)"
    because I don't know if there is such a function in Mozilla-family programs.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    % cat /usr/include/sys/errno.h
    #define EPERM 1 /* Operation not permitted */

+ Reply to Thread