Re: [OT] Re: TB2 Question - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: [OT] Re: TB2 Question - Mozilla ; JoeS wrote: > Brian Heinrich wrote: >> On 2007-04-21 19:50 (-0600 UTC), JoeS wrote: >> >> >> >>> Doing a complete system scan for viri at this time. >> >> But having men (/viri/ is the plural of /vir/, man) ...

  1. Re: [OT] Re: TB2 Question

    JoeS wrote:
    > Brian Heinrich wrote:
    >> On 2007-04-21 19:50 (-0600 UTC), JoeS wrote:
    >>

    >>> Doing a complete system scan for viri at this time.

    >> But having men (/viri/ is the plural of /vir/, man) on your system
    >> would suggest a much larger problem than having virus/viruses on your
    >> system. :-P
    >>

    > Well it looks like there were in fact no little men in there. In fact no
    > viruses either. There was, however some adware (mshtml2.exe) which
    > decided to start opening its own connection and popping up ads. Also
    > when I started firefox, IE tried to open also. It seems most symtoms are
    > gone now that I removed the offending adware. One thing though, firefox
    > is now very slow to start up.
    >
    > Joe

    It's been over an hour since I sent this with follow-up and it never
    showed up in mozilla.general I assume that this is because my isp does
    not support follow-up for newsgroups? Well, maybe I'll get an A for effort.

  2. Re: [OT] Re: TB2 Question

    JoeS wrote:
    > JoeS wrote:
    >> Brian Heinrich wrote:

    >>> But having men (/viri/ is the plural of /vir/, man) on your system
    >>> would suggest a much larger problem than having virus/viruses on your
    >>> system. :-P
    >>>

    >> Well it looks like there were in fact no little men in there. In fact
    >> no viruses either. There was, however some adware (mshtml2.exe) which
    >> decided to start opening its own connection and popping up ads. Also
    >> when I started firefox, IE tried to open also. It seems most symtoms
    >> are gone now that I removed the offending adware. One thing though,
    >> firefox is now very slow to start up.
    >>
    >> Joe
    >>

    > It's been over an hour since I sent this with follow-up and it never
    > showed up in mozilla.general I assume that this is because my isp does
    > not support follow-up for newsgroups? Well, maybe I'll get an A for effort.

    I guess this means that only replies to follow-up messages actually go
    to the follow-up group? I guess I must have misunderstood the concept
    completely.

  3. Re: [OT] Re: TB2 Question

    On 22.04.2007 16:12, JoeS wrote:

    >>> Well it looks like there were in fact no little men in there. In fact
    >>> no viruses either. There was, however some adware (mshtml2.exe) which
    >>> decided to start opening its own connection and popping up ads. Also
    >>> when I started firefox, IE tried to open also. It seems most symtoms
    >>> are gone now that I removed the offending adware. One thing though,
    >>> firefox is now very slow to start up.
    >>>
    >>> Joe
    >>>

    >> It's been over an hour since I sent this with follow-up and it never
    >> showed up in mozilla.general I assume that this is because my isp does
    >> not support follow-up for newsgroups? Well, maybe I'll get an A for effort.

    > I guess this means that only replies to follow-up messages actually go
    > to the follow-up group? I guess I must have misunderstood the concept
    > completely.

    An original post is not a follow-up. :-D

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  4. Re: [OT] Re: TB2 Question

    On 22/04/2007 5:09 PM, _JoeS_ spoke thusly:

    http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...a1a9e670559078
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  5. Re: [OT] Re: TB2 Question

    In 5edndUWMv5ka7bbnZ2dnUVZ_r3inZ2d@mozilla.org>,
    Chris Ilias wrote:

    > On 22/04/2007 5:09 PM, _JoeS_ spoke thusly:
    > > It's been over an hour since I sent this with follow-up and it
    > > never showed up in mozilla.general I assume that this is because my
    > > isp does not support follow-up for newsgroups? Well, maybe I'll get
    > > an A for effort.

    > http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...a1a9e670559078

    Chris, you gotta quit typing "Newsgroup" for that header. It's
    "Newsgroups".

    Joe, to make sure your own post lands in mozilla.general, add
    mozilla.general to the Newsgroups header. And to make sure (or at
    least encourage) followups to /only/ go to mozilla.general, put
    mozilla.general in the Followup-To header. They should look like this:

    Newsgroups: mozilla.support.thunderbird,mozilla.general

    Crossposting (putting two groups in the Newsgroups header) is a little
    problematic for people who read these groups as mailing lists; IIRC
    they will get two copies of each e-mail if they are subscribed to both
    lists, and their Reply-To header won't be set to the mozilla.general
    list. To let everyone know what's going on, you should make a note
    in the body of the post that it's been crossposted (if you did indeed
    put more than one group in Newsgroups) and where Followup-To has been
    set.

  6. Re: [OT] Re: TB2 Question

    Q wrote:
    > In 5edndUWMv5ka7bbnZ2dnUVZ_r3inZ2d@mozilla.org>,
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> On 22/04/2007 5:09 PM, _JoeS_ spoke thusly:
    >>> It's been over an hour since I sent this with follow-up and it
    >>> never showed up in mozilla.general I assume that this is because my
    >>> isp does not support follow-up for newsgroups? Well, maybe I'll get
    >>> an A for effort.

    >> http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...a1a9e670559078

    > Chris, you gotta quit typing "Newsgroup" for that header. It's
    > "Newsgroups".
    >
    > Joe, to make sure your own post lands in mozilla.general, add
    > mozilla.general to the Newsgroups header. And to make sure (or at
    > least encourage) followups to /only/ go to mozilla.general, put
    > mozilla.general in the Followup-To header. They should look like this:
    >
    > Newsgroups: mozilla.support.thunderbird,mozilla.general
    >
    > Crossposting (putting two groups in the Newsgroups header) is a little
    > problematic for people who read these groups as mailing lists; IIRC
    > they will get two copies of each e-mail if they are subscribed to both
    > lists, and their Reply-To header won't be set to the mozilla.general
    > list. To let everyone know what's going on, you should make a note
    > in the body of the post that it's been crossposted (if you did indeed
    > put more than one group in Newsgroups) and where Followup-To has been
    > set.

    OK, got it Q
    I just always avoided the crossposting in the past. Seems necessary in this case.
    Thanks

    --
    div.sign { position:relative; bottom:0em; width:90%;
    background-color:#fffacc; border-style:dotted; border-width:1px;

    TB Trunk w/Plugins

    Seamonkey How
    to post to MTMM
    *