Spell checking usernames and quoted text - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Spell checking usernames and quoted text - Mozilla ; I find it annoying to have to react to Thunderbird's spell-checker's reactions to quoted text (which I never wish to correct) and such unpredictable character strings as usernames and e-mail addresses. Is there any way to let them pass unchecked ...

  1. Spell checking usernames and quoted text

    I find it annoying to have to react to Thunderbird's spell-checker's
    reactions to quoted text (which I never wish to correct) and such
    unpredictable character strings as usernames and e-mail addresses.

    Is there any way to let them pass unchecked without interfering with the
    checking of my own text?

    --
    Marshall Price of Miami
    Known to Yahoo as d021317c

  2. Re: Spell checking usernames and quoted text

    Marshall Price wrote:
    > I find it annoying to have to react to Thunderbird's spell-checker's
    > reactions to quoted text (which I never wish to correct) and such
    > unpredictable character strings as usernames and e-mail addresses.
    >
    > Is there any way to let them pass unchecked without interfering with the
    > checking of my own text?

    This was a capability of Eudora many years ago.

    --

    David E. Ross

    Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my

  3. Re: Spell checking usernames and quoted text

    Marshall Price wrote:
    > I find it annoying to have to react to Thunderbird's spell-checker's
    > reactions to quoted text (which I never wish to correct) and such
    > unpredictable character strings as usernames and e-mail addresses.
    >
    > Is there any way to let them pass unchecked without interfering with the
    > checking of my own text?

    the current spellchecker is very old and primative. There
    should be a major overhaul with the newer versions.

    In the mean time, when you use the spell checker and it
    stops at those problem words, then add them to your speller.
    Thats about the only way I know of.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    only. Thanks

  4. Re: Spell checking usernames and quoted text

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Marshall Price wrote:
    >> I find it annoying to have to react to Thunderbird's spell-checker's
    >> reactions to quoted text (which I never wish to correct) and such
    >> unpredictable character strings as usernames and e-mail addresses.
    >>
    >> Is there any way to let them pass unchecked without interfering with the
    >> checking of my own text?
    >>

    > the current spellchecker is very old and primative. There
    > should be a major overhaul with the newer versions.
    >
    > In the mean time, when you use the spell checker and it
    > stops at those problem words, then add them to your speller.
    > Thats about the only way I know of.

    I would not do that. It would mean that misspelled words in the new
    text might not be detected.

    Instead, select the new text before checking; the spell checker should
    then check only the selected text. At least, that's the way TBird works.

    --

    David E. Ross

    Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my

  5. Re: Spell checking usernames and quoted text

    David E. Ross wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Marshall Price wrote:
    >>> I find it annoying to have to react to Thunderbird's spell-checker's
    >>> reactions to quoted text (which I never wish to correct) and such
    >>> unpredictable character strings as usernames and e-mail addresses.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any way to let them pass unchecked without interfering with the
    >>> checking of my own text?
    >>>

    >> the current spellchecker is very old and primative. There
    >> should be a major overhaul with the newer versions.
    >>
    >> In the mean time, when you use the spell checker and it
    >> stops at those problem words, then add them to your speller.
    >> Thats about the only way I know of.
    >>

    > I would not do that. It would mean that misspelled words in the new
    > text might not be detected.
    >
    > Instead, select the new text before checking; the spell checker should
    > then check only the selected text. At least, that's the way TBird works.

    I have a radical idea! is there anyway to make Web URL, email addresses,
    and mailto: 's automatically be ignored.

    and also have spell checkers check text in subject line of your post you
    are creating (reply or original). :-)

  6. Re: Spell checking usernames and quoted text

    On 2007-03-03 10:49 (-0700 UTC), Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > Marshall Price wrote:
    >> I find it annoying to have to react to Thunderbird's spell-checker's
    >> reactions to quoted text (which I never wish to correct) and such
    >> unpredictable character strings as usernames and e-mail addresses.
    >>
    >> Is there any way to let them pass unchecked without interfering with the
    >> checking of my own text?

    > the current spellchecker is very old and primative. There should be a
    > major overhaul with the newer versions.

    It uses the MySpell engine -- the same engine as in OOo -- , although the
    issues noted seem to be part of how the m.o backend was written/implemented.

    --
    String quartets don't march very well.
    --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

  7. Re: Spell checking usernames and quoted text

    On 03/03/2007 22:30, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip M.
    Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :
    > David E. Ross wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>
    >>> Marshall Price wrote:

    <>

    > I have a radical idea! is there anyway to make Web URL, email addresses,
    > and mailto: 's automatically be ignored.
    >
    > and also have spell checkers check text in subject line of your post you
    > are creating (reply or original). :-)

    even more radical....

    zend thoze hoo *KNEED* a spell chequer to evning glassez 8-)

    reg

  8. Re: Spell checking usernames and quoted text

    Brian Heinrich wrote:
    > On 2007-03-03 10:49 (-0700 UTC), Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    >> Marshall Price wrote:
    >>> I find it annoying to have to react to Thunderbird's spell-checker's
    >>> reactions to quoted text (which I never wish to correct) and such
    >>> unpredictable character strings as usernames and e-mail addresses.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any way to let them pass unchecked without interfering with the
    >>> checking of my own text?

    >> the current spellchecker is very old and primative. There should be a
    >> major overhaul with the newer versions.

    > It uses the MySpell engine -- the same engine as in OOo -- , although
    > the issues noted seem to be part of how the m.o backend was
    > written/implemented.

    I wonder what the new spelling engine will use.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    only. Thanks

  9. Re: Spell checking usernames and quoted text

    On 2007-03-04 11:47 (-0700 UTC), Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> the current spellchecker is very old and primative. There should be
    >>> a major overhaul with the newer versions.

    >> It uses the MySpell engine -- the same engine as in OOo -- , although
    >> the issues noted seem to be part of how the m.o backend was
    >> written/implemented.

    > I wonder what the new spelling engine will use.

    I was unaware that there were any plans to change the spelling engine. . . .

    /b.

    --
    String quartets don't march very well.
    --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

  10. Re: Spell checking usernames and quoted text

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Brian Heinrich wrote:

    >>> the current spellchecker is very old and primative. There should be
    >>> a major overhaul with the newer versions.

    >> It uses the MySpell engine -- the same engine as in OOo -- , although
    >> the issues noted seem to be part of how the m.o backend was
    >> written/implemented.

    > I wonder what the new spelling engine will use.

    Corvette Motor ? :-D

  11. Re: Spell checking usernames and quoted text

    Brian Heinrich wrote:

    >>> It uses the MySpell engine -- the same engine as in OOo -- , although
    >>> the issues noted seem to be part of how the m.o backend was
    >>> written/implemented.

    >> I wonder what the new spelling engine will use.

    > I was unaware that there were any plans to change the spelling engine. .
    > . .
    >
    > /b.

    TB is supposed to be getting an overhaul in the speller one
    of these days. It could be for 2.x or the 3.x version. I
    can't remember and I can't find where it was mentioned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    only. Thanks