Re: Better pane navigation - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Better pane navigation - Mozilla ; Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote: > The Real Bev wrote: >> I'm really BAD at mousing. Insufficient rebound damping, and it happens >> with LOTS of things. Watching me zoom across the screen to click on >> something is NOT a ...

  1. Re: Better pane navigation

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:

    >> I'm really BAD at mousing. Insufficient rebound damping, and it happens
    >> with LOTS of things. Watching me zoom across the screen to click on
    >> something is NOT a pleasant experience.

    > Play around with your xset options. I use xset m 5 2 on just about all
    > screen sizes.

    After much experimentation I ended up with m 2 1. 5 2 is intolerable -- I
    can't even see the i-beam cursor! I would really like to have a HUGE bright
    green cursor for all apps, but NOOOOOO.

    Are there any linux cursor options in FF/TB? I could live with the xterm
    i-beam...

    >> Oops, I think we should take this to mozilla.general...

    > Done. Why didn't you?

    Lazy.

    "I love deadlines... especially the whooshing sound
    they make as they go by." -Douglas Adams

  2. Re: Better pane navigation

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> I'm really BAD at mousing. Insufficient rebound damping, and it happens
    >>> with LOTS of things. Watching me zoom across the screen to click on
    >>> something is NOT a pleasant experience.

    >> Play around with your xset options. I use xset m 5 2 on just about all
    >> screen sizes.

    > After much experimentation I ended up with m 2 1. 5 2 is intolerable -- I
    > can't even see the i-beam cursor! I would really like to have a HUGE bright
    > green cursor for all apps, but NOOOOOO.

    Do you use gnome or kde? They can be changed. Even a GUI for it.

    Other than that check your window manager settings.

    All I know for sure is it's a font. xsetroot supposedly can change it
    for the root window, but I'm sure applications either use the default or
    set their own.

    Hmm. Looked here? http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/X-Big-Cursor.html#toc4

    > Are there any linux cursor options in FF/TB? I could live with the xterm
    > i-beam...
    >
    >>> Oops, I think we should take this to mozilla.general...

    >> Done. Why didn't you?

    > Lazy.

    Zzzzzz.... *huh* scusi il disturbo.

    Rinaldi
    --
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.

  3. Re: Better pane navigation

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    >>> Play around with your xset options. I use xset m 5 2 on just about all
    >>> screen sizes.

    >> After much experimentation I ended up with m 2 1. 5 2 is intolerable -- I
    >> can't even see the i-beam cursor! I would really like to have a HUGE bright
    >> green cursor for all apps, but NOOOOOO.

    > Do you use gnome or kde? They can be changed. Even a GUI for it.

    fvwm95. I used that originally because it was most completely configured
    WM. gnome and kde waste too much space on crap.

    > Other than that check your window manager settings.

    No joy.

    > All I know for sure is it's a font. xsetroot supposedly can change it
    > for the root window, but I'm sure applications either use the default or
    > set their own.
    >
    > Hmm. Looked here? http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/X-Big-Cursor.html#toc4

    Once, I think. Interesting, but the links are dead. I found the various X
    cursors, but the only one that seemed an improvement was making the basic X
    cursor a red iron cross rather than the usual black X. for a while I had a
    red SuSE chameleon, but I lost that in the dim dark past and you don't
    really need a cursor very much there anyway.

    Do you think I worry too much about cosmetics?

    >> Are there any linux cursor options in FF/TB? I could live with the xterm
    >> i-beam...

    >>> Done. Why didn't you?

    >> Lazy.

    > Zzzzzz.... *huh* scusi il disturbo.

    No problema. I needed to get up anyway.

  4. Re: Better pane navigation

    The Real Bev wrote:
    [---]

    > fvwm95. I used that originally because it was most completely configured
    > WM. gnome and kde waste too much space on crap.

    If you like lightweight, I used IceWm for years (xfce4, now) and it has
    a method of changing default cursor. Some incense required but no small
    animals.

    http://www.icewm.org/manual/icewm.html#toc16

    I tried it once and set the cursor to orange just for testing.

    Rinaldi
    --
    "If dolphins are so smart, why did Flipper work for television?"

  5. Re: Better pane navigation

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    > [---]
    >
    >> fvwm95. I used that originally because it was most completely configured
    >> WM. gnome and kde waste too much space on crap.

    > If you like lightweight, I used IceWm for years (xfce4, now) and it has
    > a method of changing default cursor. Some incense required but no small
    > animals.

    Fresh out of incense. Changing the default cursor is relatively
    unrewarding. Most of what I do is FF, TB and xterm called by:

    xterm +wf -fg white -b 10 -ls -sb -bg black -fn
    -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--13-130-75-75-c-70-iso8859-1 -title "xterm" -cr
    orangered -ms orangered -sl 256 -geometry 80x53+960+290 &

    > http://www.icewm.org/manual/icewm.html#toc16
    >
    > I tried it once and set the cursor to orange just for testing.

    I think I'm too old to change...much...

    There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'

  6. Re: Better pane navigation

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > Fresh out of incense. Changing the default cursor is relatively
    > unrewarding. Most of what I do is FF, TB and xterm called by:
    >
    > xterm +wf -fg white -b 10 -ls -sb -bg black -fn
    > -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--13-130-75-75-c-70-iso8859-1 -title "xterm" -cr
    > orangered -ms orangered -sl 256 -geometry 80x53+960+290 &

    If you used Eterm (slack pkg available) you could set it once and forget
    it. I think there are a couple of dependencies though.

    BTW speaking of dependencies, if you run /CURRENT and updated within the
    last day or so there's a couple of broken deps. New pkgs acl and attr
    required. Their in /ap

    Rinaldi
    --
    Mophobia, n.:
    Fear of being verbally abused by a Mississippian.

  7. Re: Better pane navigation

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >> Fresh out of incense. Changing the default cursor is relatively
    >> unrewarding. Most of what I do is FF, TB and xterm called by:
    >>
    >> xterm +wf -fg white -b 10 -ls -sb -bg black -fn
    >> -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--13-130-75-75-c-70-iso8859-1 -title "xterm" -cr
    >> orangered -ms orangered -sl 256 -geometry 80x53+960+290 &

    I have a button for it. Typing is OK, it's just remembering that causes
    problems.

    > If you used Eterm (slack pkg available) you could set it once and forget
    > it. I think there are a couple of dependencies though.

    Mine seems to want libttf.so.2. Oh well. Only reason xterm annoys me is
    that if I don't resize the window the pico/nano help-things at the bottom
    don't line up properly in a login term. Not a problem worth trying to fix,
    although it's interesting.

    > BTW speaking of dependencies, if you run /CURRENT and updated within the
    > last day or so there's a couple of broken deps. New pkgs acl and attr
    > required. Their in /ap

    Worrying about libraries is annoying. I'm ashamed to say that they're more
    annoying than windows dlls.

    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a
    well preserved body, but to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
    and shouting HOLY ****, WHAT A RIDE!!!

  8. Re: Better pane navigation

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > Worrying about libraries is annoying. I'm ashamed to say that
    > they're more annoying than windows dlls.

    Worry? You either have them or you don't. If you don't, you get them.

    I keep an rsync'd version of /CURRENT (less some of the kdei stuff).
    The whole thing is less than 15 gigs. Using spkg it's spkg sync && spkg
    -d -i update && swaret --dep Note I use the dep checking of swaret. If
    you get a failed dep, bzcat MANIFEST.bz2 | grep and install the
    pkg. Beats googling about looking for an rpm/deb/whatever. Slack's
    "the bomb".

    Rinaldi
    --
    Wit, n.:
    The salt with which the American Humorist spoils his cookery

  9. Re: Better pane navigation

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >> Worrying about libraries is annoying. I'm ashamed to say that
    >> they're more annoying than windows dlls.

    > Worry? You either have them or you don't. If you don't, you get them.

    Sometimes that breaks stuff that you'd rather not break. What's most
    annoying is when you actually HAVE the library but some program can't see it
    because it's hard-wired to look elsewhere for it and SOMETIMES it keeps that
    a secret.

    > I keep an rsync'd version of /CURRENT (less some of the kdei stuff).
    > The whole thing is less than 15 gigs. Using spkg it's spkg sync && spkg
    > -d -i update && swaret --dep Note I use the dep checking of swaret. If
    > you get a failed dep, bzcat MANIFEST.bz2 | grep and install the
    > pkg. Beats googling about looking for an rpm/deb/whatever. Slack's
    > "the bomb".

    There's also 'checkinstall' which is handy.

    I'm not real happy with slack's current penchant for removing packages for
    which there is no update. I WAS HAPPY WITH THE OLD ONE, FOR CHRISSAKE! I
    don't understand why gnome is still there and other things that I had
    aren't, but I'm just going to lay low and say nuffin'.

  10. Re: Better pane navigation

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not real happy with slack's current penchant for removing packages
    >> for which there is no update. I WAS HAPPY WITH THE OLD ONE, FOR
    >> CHRISSAKE!

    > Got a f''rinstance? I know of things no longer in current but available
    > in older releases. Nothing that's been wiped from the distro
    > completely.

    aterm comes to mind. I think it disappeared in the 10.2 upgrade. I thought
    the transparent feature was kind of nifty and went back to look again to see
    if that outweighed whatever its faults were. Nowhere to be found. Must
    have been killed earlier, since it's not in the removed_packages list
    either. Not worth getting again, but I wonder what else is missing. OTOH,
    if I haven't missed whatever it is by now I probably won't.

    >> don't understand why gnome is still there and other things that I had
    >> aren't, but I'm just going to lay low and say nuffin'.

    > Gnome is gone

    I didn't use it, I just liked some of the applications. They're still there
    and work. OK...

    > gnome/*: Removed from -current, and turned over to community support and
    > distribution. I'm not going to rehash all the reasons behind this, but
    > it's been under consideration for more than four years. There are
    > already good projects in place to provide Slackware GNOME for those who
    > want it, and these are more complete than what Slackware has shipped in
    > the past. So, if you're looking for GNOME for Slackware -current, I would
    > recommend looking at these two projects for well-built packages that
    > follow a policy of minimal interference with the base Slackware system:
    >
    > http://gsb.sf.net http://gware.sf.net

    I love TB's 'rewrap' feature!

    > Intolerance is the last defense of the insecure.

    I hate people like you. You make me uneasy.

    Q: How many lawyers does it take to grease a combine?
    A: One, if you feed him in real slow.

  11. Re: Better pane navigation

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > aterm comes to mind. I think it disappeared in the 10.2 upgrade. I thought
    > the transparent feature was kind of nifty and went back to look again to see
    > if that outweighed whatever its faults were. Nowhere to be found. Must
    > have been killed earlier, since it's not in the removed_packages list
    > either. Not worth getting again, but I wonder what else is missing. OTOH,
    > if I haven't missed whatever it is by now I probably won't.

    Someone else liked it:

    http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/~tuckerm/slackware/#aterm

    > > Intolerance is the last defense of the insecure.

    > I hate people like you. You make me uneasy.

    :-)

    Rinaldi
    --
    63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs,