Group Permissions - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Group Permissions - Mozilla ; When setting up groups in Bugzilla 3.0.2 - will the Groups perms override the User perms? For example, If User Perms look like below (with only 4 areas checked - Underscore indicates not ticked): Group access: Can turn these bits ...

  1. Group Permissions

    When setting up groups in Bugzilla 3.0.2 - will the Groups perms
    override the User perms? For example, If User Perms look like below
    (with only 4 areas checked - Underscore indicates not ticked):

    Group access:
    Can turn these bits on for other users | User is a member of these
    groups

    _ | x canconfirm: Can confirm a bug or mark it a duplicate
    _ | x creategroups: Can create and destroy groups
    _ | x editbugs: Can edit all bug fields
    _ | x Group_Name

    And the GROUP PERMS for 1 Product are:

    Edit Group Access Controls: Group_Name: Mandatory/Mandatory,
    ENTRY, CANEDIT, editbugs

    Do I need to have individual perms at all if under Group control?

  2. Re: Group Permissions

    What would Group Permissions look like if I wanted to grant read/write
    perms to one group and not the other (I am only setting up 2 groups.

    I've got 59 Products and created 2 groups with the intent of having
    only 1 Product assigned to one group.

    I am trying to set it up so that the one group can not view/read/edit
    the other 58 products - and ONLY create/edit their specified product.

    The other group will have the same restrictions but only on the 1
    product.

    So far I'm not seeing the intended results.

    I've assigned the users to the groups. And the products the the Group
    BUT the aside from having a padlock icon on the group that I should
    not be able to read - I can?

    Setting up grp perms sounds easy but apparently it's complicated and
    tricky.

    Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. The FAQs and docs I've read
    are very vague...

  3. RE: Group Permissions

    Quoting notec:
    > What would Group Permissions look like if I wanted to grant read/write
    > perms to one group and not the other (I am only setting up 2 groups.
    >
    > I've got 59 Products and created 2 groups with the intent of having
    > only 1 Product assigned to one group.
    >
    > I am trying to set it up so that the one group can not view/read/edit
    > the other 58 products - and ONLY create/edit their specified product.
    >
    > The other group will have the same restrictions but only on the 1
    > product.
    >
    > So far I'm not seeing the intended results.
    >
    > I've assigned the users to the groups. And the products the the Group
    > BUT the aside from having a padlock icon on the group that I should
    > not be able to read - I can?

    Here is what I did to make things simple.

    1) Set up two groups, group1 and group2

    2) For the one Product, set group1 to be MANDATORY/MANDATORY, and to
    have all the rest of the permissions

    3) For the other products, do the same for group2.

    4) If you are in the group 'editbugs', I think you get more permissions
    than that though. So remove yourself from that group. No one really
    needs it unless they are a global admin.

    NOTE: The padlock simply means that the bug has a group restriction to
    view. It doesn't mean you can or cannot view it. All bugs in a product
    with MANDATORY group setting will have an icon.

    Once that is done, users in group1 can see/edit the one product, and
    users in group2 can see/edit the other. Users can be in both groups if
    need be. That all depends on how you set it up.

+ Reply to Thread