Send mass email to all users - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Send mass email to all users - Mozilla ; Is there a way to send a mass email to all users with bugzilla accounts? We are currently using v2.20.1 and are about to upgrade to v3.0.3 (running on Windows 2003). I was hoping that there was a way to ...

  1. Send mass email to all users

    Is there a way to send a mass email to all users with bugzilla accounts? We
    are currently using v2.20.1 and are about to upgrade to v3.0.3 (running on
    Windows 2003). I was hoping that there was a way to notify all of my
    bugzilla users that bugzilla would be down while the upgrade occurred,
    without copy and pasting all of the email addresses into a separate email
    program.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Jen

  2. Re: Send mass email to all users

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Jen Armstrong might have said:

    > Is there a way to send a mass email to all users with bugzilla accounts? We
    > are currently using v2.20.1 and are about to upgrade to v3.0.3 (running on
    > Windows 2003). I was hoping that there was a way to notify all of my
    > bugzilla users that bugzilla would be down while the upgrade occurred,
    > without copy and pasting all of the email addresses into a separate email
    > program.

    I have a single address inside bugzilla that is an alias on one of my
    unix systems (staff@....) to broadcast a change to everyone. I keep the
    unix alias up to date and don't worry about the bugzilla address.

    Mike

  3. Re: Send mass email to all users

    "Mike Eggleston" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Jen Armstrong might have said:
    >
    >> Is there a way to send a mass email to all users with bugzilla accounts?
    >> We
    >> are currently using v2.20.1 and are about to upgrade to v3.0.3 (running
    >> on
    >> Windows 2003). I was hoping that there was a way to notify all of my
    >> bugzilla users that bugzilla would be down while the upgrade occurred,
    >> without copy and pasting all of the email addresses into a separate email
    >> program.

    > I have a single address inside bugzilla that is an alias on one of my
    > unix systems (staff@....) to broadcast a change to everyone. I keep the
    > unix alias up to date and don't worry about the bugzilla address.
    >
    > Mike

    Thank you for your response, but my whole issue was that I didn't want to
    maintain a list. I was hoping there was some way to send mass notification
    by email through Bugzilla without having to extract the email addresses.

    A co-worker suggested extracting the email addresses from the db using a
    query, so I guess I will try that, if no one knows any direct way to send a
    mass notification through Bugzilla.

    Thanks,
    Jen

  4. Re: Send mass email to all users

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Jen Armstrong might have said:

    > "Mike Eggleston" wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Jen Armstrong might have said:
    > >
    > >> Is there a way to send a mass email to all users with bugzilla accounts?
    > >> We
    > >> are currently using v2.20.1 and are about to upgrade to v3.0.3 (running
    > >> on
    > >> Windows 2003). I was hoping that there was a way to notify all of my
    > >> bugzilla users that bugzilla would be down while the upgrade occurred,
    > >> without copy and pasting all of the email addresses into a separate email
    > >> program.

    > > I have a single address inside bugzilla that is an alias on one of my
    > > unix systems (staff@....) to broadcast a change to everyone. I keep the
    > > unix alias up to date and don't worry about the bugzilla address.
    > >
    > > Mike

    > Thank you for your response, but my whole issue was that I didn't want to
    > maintain a list. I was hoping there was some way to send mass notification
    > by email through Bugzilla without having to extract the email addresses.
    >
    > A co-worker suggested extracting the email addresses from the db using a
    > query, so I guess I will try that, if no one knows any direct way to send a
    > mass notification through Bugzilla.

    Extract the addresses with a query, update /etc/aliases (sendmail) with
    those addresses. Do this once an hour or once a day (use the mygroup:
    :include:/etc/aliases.bugzilla type syntax in sendmail) and let the
    messages from bugzilla go to this group address.

    Mike

  5. RE: Send mass email to all users

    Quoting Jen Armstrong:
    > A co-worker suggested extracting the email addresses from the db
    > using a query, so I guess I will try that, if no one knows any
    > direct way to send a mass notification through Bugzilla.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jen

    Bugzilla doesn't have a way (interface) to send emails to all users.
    HOWEVER, there is a patch on bmo somewhere to allow a user with
    'whineatothers' privileges to send emails to a group of users with no
    query attached and just a text message via the 'Edit: Whining' feature.

    As for using a query:
    for email in $(echo "select login_name from profiles where login_name
    like '%@%' and disable_mail = 0"|mysql);
    do
    cat my_message | mail -s "Bugzilla Broadcast: Email from your
    Bugzilla Admin" -r $email
    done

  6. RE: Send mass email to all users

    Quoting Tosh, Michael J:
    > As for using a query:
    > for email in $(echo "select login_name from profiles where login_name
    > like '%@%' and disable_mail = 0"|mysql);
    > do
    > cat my_message | mail -s "Bugzilla Broadcast: Email from your
    > Bugzilla Admin" -r $email
    > done

    OOPS! You are using windows. Can't do that neat stuff on windows
    without downloading and installing bash or some other unix type shell
    that supports 'for'. And 'cat' is 'type' in windows. And you won't have
    a command-line mailer like 'mail' unless you installed one. You may be
    able to write a simple perl script using Email::Send though.

    Oh, and if you are using 2.20, you probably won't have the
    'disable_mail' column in profiles. Instead check to see if disabled_text
    is NULL. If I remember correctly, disable_mail was a new field for 3.0.

+ Reply to Thread