using group to restrict access - Mozilla

This is a discussion on using group to restrict access - Mozilla ; Hello I created a group called bugsumitter and another one called productadmin. I grant a user access to bugsummiter which only has submit bugs permission. But the user was able to perform all tasks. I added bugsummiter to a product ...

  1. using group to restrict access

    Hello I created a group called bugsumitter and another one called
    productadmin. I grant a user access to bugsummiter which only has
    submit bugs permission. But the user was able to perform all tasks. I
    added bugsummiter to a product and make it mandatory and I was unable
    see the product even when i was log in as admin but the user was able
    to sumit bugs. then i added the productadmin group the product as
    mandatory/mandatory and I was unable to do anything with the product
    unless I added the user to both groups. Any Ideas on how to work with
    groups?

  2. Re: using group to restrict access

    Joe,

    2007/9/21, joe :
    > unless I added the user to both groups. Any Ideas on how to work with
    > groups?

    sure. There's a lot of help on the page which lets you specify group
    restrictions for a product. It's called documentation; read and
    understand it. Then, there's this mailing list's archive, where
    questions exactly like yours have already been answered many, many
    times. Use http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...port.bugzilla/.

    About one of the groups you set up, you say "... which only has submit
    bugs permission". Keep in mind that this is not the way things work
    (as explained in the documentation on the page). What you've done by
    checking ENTRY for this group is that you now require people to be a
    member of this group in order to enter a bug. That's something
    different entirely from giving a certain permission to a group. If you
    want the group not to be able to modify bugs, then you need another
    group B which has CANEDIT checked: you then require people to be a
    member of group B in order to modify bugs.

    Kind regards
    Marc

+ Reply to Thread