PERL knowledge for new install? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on PERL knowledge for new install? - Mozilla ; Howdy, I'm the QA manager for our company, and we want to install Bugzilla as our new defect tracker. We've heard/gleaned from various sources that a substantial amount of PERL knowledge is necessary for BZ. The question is, do we ...

  1. PERL knowledge for new install?

    Howdy,

    I'm the QA manager for our company, and we want to install Bugzilla as our
    new defect tracker. We've heard/gleaned from various sources that a
    substantial amount of PERL knowledge is necessary for BZ. The question is,
    do we need to have a developer with knowledge of PERL, or just an IS/IT guy
    who knows how to use PERL? If we need a developer who knows PERL in order
    to customize the app, then we may have a dealbreaker. If we just need an
    IS/IT rep who can get PERL installed and configured, we can probably do
    that.

    That's the question: what level of PERL knowledge does your staff need to
    successfully install, configure, and maintain BZ 3.0?

    Thanks,

    Justin Julian
    QA Manager
    Harte-Hanks Richardson

  2. Re: PERL knowledge for new install?

    Justin Julian wrote:

    > If we need a developer who knows PERL in order
    > to customize the app, then we may have a dealbreaker. If we just need an
    > IS/IT rep who can get PERL installed and configured, we can probably do
    > that.

    Assuming you don't want a bunch of custom changes, you just need someone
    who can install Perl modules. Bugzilla works great "out of the box."

  3. Re: PERL knowledge for new install?

    Hi Justin,

    On 9/18/07, Steve Wendt wrote:
    > Justin Julian wrote:
    >
    > > If we need a developer who knows PERL in order
    > > to customize the app, then we may have a dealbreaker. If we just need an
    > > IS/IT rep who can get PERL installed and configured, we can probably do
    > > that.

    > Assuming you don't want a bunch of custom changes, you just need someone
    > who can install Perl modules. Bugzilla works great "out of the box."

    I'll second that and add some. I have never written a line of
    commercial perl, and until recently the most perl I'd written was a
    "hello world" cgi. Until recently that is, when I was asked to add
    another state to bugzilla (CHECKEDIN), with very little perl
    knowledge, but good general programming knowledge, I was able to make
    the required modifications.

    Added to that, there are people on the list who provide commercial
    support for bugzilla and could make these sort of changes for you (as
    I understand it).

    cheers,
    dim

+ Reply to Thread