Can't load GD.so ... undefined symbol - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Can't load GD.so ... undefined symbol - Mozilla ; I've been trying to install the GD 2.34 perl module (after installing libgd 2.0.34, zlib, jpeg-6b, etc.) and consistently get an error (see the snip below) during 'make test' on RHEL4. I'm confident the solution is simple but I need ...

  1. Can't load GD.so ... undefined symbol

    I've been trying to install the GD 2.34 perl module (after installing
    libgd 2.0.34, zlib, jpeg-6b, etc.) and consistently get an error (see
    the snip below) during 'make test' on RHEL4.

    I'm confident the solution is simple but I need a nudge in the right
    direction. (e.g. a link to a solution, helpful debug steps, proper
    forum for this question, etc.)

    I've checked the web and these forums and have found a few references
    to fixes but none seems to solve my issue.

    Any pointers?

    Thanks,
    tigrr

    ----- Begin snip ---- 8< ---------

    PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e"
    "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t

    t/GD..........Can't load './blib/arch/auto/GD/GD.so' for module GD: ./
    blib/arch/auto/GD/GD.so: undefined symbol: gdImageGifAnimAddPtr at /
    usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 230.
    at t/GD.t line 14

    Compilation failed in require at t/GD.t line 14.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t/GD.t line 14.
    t/GD..........dubious
    Test returned status 255 (wstat 65280, 0xff00)

    ------ End snip ---- 8< --------

    The error suggests it's finding the .so file but not the underlying
    call.

    GD.so is present on the machine in the right location:
    > find . -name "GD.so" -print
    > ./blib/arch/auto/GD/GD.so

    the make portion shows how it was built:
    > gcc -shared -L/usr/local/lib GD.o -o blib/arch/auto/GD/GD.so -L/usr/local/lib -lz -lm -lgd

    chmod 755 blib/arch/auto/GD/GD.so

    Based on the messages during 'make' it appears to me that I have the
    correct libgd files:

    > Configuring for libgd version 2.0.34.
    > Checking for stray libgd header files...none found.

    > Included Features: GD_GIF GD_GIFANIM GD_OPENPOLYGON GD_UNCLOSEDPOLY GD_ANIMGIF GD_FTCIRCLE VERSION_33
    > GD library used from: /usr/local
    > Checking if your kit is complete...
    > Looks good

    I've installed a previous Bugzilla instance on an identical RHEL4
    server w/o issue in GD, so I'm led to believe it's something I've
    omitted or something painfully simple I'm overlooking... :-)

    (I've googled for "undefined symbol: gdImageGifAnimAddPtr" with
    results, but none that points to root cause AFAIK.)

    If you read this far... Good on ya mate! ;-)

  2. Re: Can't load GD.so ... undefined symbol

    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 23:58:43 -0000 tigrr wrote:
    > I've been trying to install the GD 2.34 perl module (after installing
    > libgd 2.0.34, zlib, jpeg-6b, etc.) and consistently get an error (see
    > the snip below) during 'make test' on RHEL4.

    up2date perl-GD

    -Max
    --
    http://www.everythingsolved.com/
    Competent, Friendly Bugzilla Services. And Everything Else, too.

  3. Re: Can't load GD.so ... undefined symbol

    On Jul 12, 5:08 pm, Max Kanat-Alexander wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 23:58:43 -0000 tigrr wrote:
    >
    > > I've been trying to install the GD 2.34 perl module (after installing
    > > libgd 2.0.34, zlib, jpeg-6b, etc.) and consistently get an error (see
    > > the snip below) during 'make test' on RHEL4.

    > up2date perl-GD
    >
    > -Max
    > --http://www.everythingsolved.com/
    > Competent, FriendlyBugzillaServices. And Everything Else, too.

    Thanks Max,

    I got this:

    The following packages you requested were not found:
    perl-GD

    Any other tips?

  4. Re: Can't load GD.so ... undefined symbol

    tigrr wrote:

    >> up2date perl-GD

    > The following packages you requested were not found:
    > perl-GD
    >
    > Any other tips?

    You can add the rpmforge repository to up2date, or just get that package
    here:
    http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/perl-GD/

  5. Re: Can't load GD.so ... undefined symbol

    > You can add the rpmforge repository to up2date, or just get that package
    > here:http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/perl-GD/

    Excellent, worked great!
    A little massaging and my installation is now complete.

    Thanks Steve and Max!

+ Reply to Thread