Can I control visibility of the Custom Fields based on the product? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Can I control visibility of the Custom Fields based on the product? - Mozilla ; e.g. some custom fields which are important for one product, are meaningless for another Thanks for help!...

  1. Can I control visibility of the Custom Fields based on the product?

    e.g.
    some custom fields which are important for one product,
    are meaningless for another

    Thanks for help!

  2. Re: Can I control visibility of the Custom Fields based on theproduct?

    Eugene,

    2007/7/12, Eugene Korolev :
    > some custom fields which are important for one product,
    > are meaningless for another

    yes, copy appropriate templates from template/en/default over to
    template/en/custom, and modify them there using clever [% IF %] [%
    ELSE %] [% END %] constructs. In the [% IF %] part, you'd keep the
    original code for a field. In the [% ELSE %] part, you'd put a
    modified original code where the input field is a hidden field ( type="hidden" ... >).

    Regards
    Marc

  3. RE: Can I control visibility of the Custom Fields based on theproduct?

    Marc - what would be the proper way to use hooks to accomplish what you
    suggest below? The more I think about it, the more I think we ought to
    be suggesting ways users can customize in ways that are "forward
    compatible." As I see it, custom is a nice way to see differences, but
    really doesn't address forward compatibility. Of course, it's not
    possible to always be forward compatible, but hooks seem to be a better
    method of accomplishing that goal than not.

    We're about to re-implement all our customizations in an up-to-date
    version of Bugzilla using that methodology so the thousands of hours
    (already) spent on updating Bugzilla for our needs don't need to be
    wasted yet again while trying to stay up-to-date with the community
    version of Bugzilla (after this update).

    Kevin Benton
    MySQL DBA #5739
    Senior Software Developer
    MSS Silicon Design Engineering
    Advanced Micro Devices

    The opinions stated in this communication do not necessarily reflect the
    view of Advanced Micro Devices and have not been reviewed by management.
    This communication may contain sensitive and/or confidential and/or
    proprietary information. Distribution of such information is strictly
    prohibited without prior consent of Advanced Micro Devices. This
    communication is for the intended recipient(s) only. If you have
    received this communication in error, please notify the sender, then
    destroy any remaining copies of this communication.

  4. Re: Can I control visibility of the Custom Fields based on theproduct?

    Kevin,

    2007/7/12, Benton, Kevin :
    > Marc - what would be the proper way to use hooks to accomplish what you

    I haven't used hooks at all yet... In fact, I don't know how they work
    or how I can make use of them. So I'm probably not the best person to
    ask :/

    > suggest below? The more I think about it, the more I think we ought to
    > be suggesting ways users can customize in ways that are "forward
    > compatible." As I see it, custom is a nice way to see differences, but

    I wholeheartedly agree. Bugzilla is a rapidly moving target (as the
    docs contributors page puts it iirc), so it's a lucky day if
    modifications merge easily into a newer version.

    Currently, my point of view is that Bugzilla simply isn't there yet.
    Maybe somebody comes up with a reasonable idea on how Bugzilla could
    be made to support such forward compatibility? It would be good to
    discuss this, perhaps at #bugzilla-meeting or developers@.

    Brainstorming
    Marc

  5. Re: Can I control visibility of the Custom Fields based on theproduct?

    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 21:26:10 +0200 "Marc Schumann"
    wrote:
    > Currently, my point of view is that Bugzilla simply isn't there yet.
    > Maybe somebody comes up with a reasonable idea on how Bugzilla could
    > be made to support such forward compatibility? It would be good to
    > discuss this, perhaps at #bugzilla-meeting or developers@.

    The best way is to use the template hooks, the code hooks, and
    the XML-RPC interface, and make a plugin.

    If you find you need new code hooks or template hooks while
    you're doing this, we're happy to add them, even to stable branches.

    -Max
    --
    http://www.everythingsolved.com/
    Competent, Friendly Bugzilla Services. And Everything Else, too.

  6. Re: Can I control visibility of the Custom Fields based on theproduct?

    2007/7/13, Max Kanat-Alexander :
    > The best way is to use the template hooks, the code hooks, and
    > the XML-RPC interface, and make a plugin.

    Personally, I'll need to read (and understand)
    http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/tip/html/cust-hooks.html first

    Regards
    Marc

+ Reply to Thread