Re: Show users in a pull down box - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Show users in a pull down box - Mozilla ; In response to that, I know that every time you enter a name, it adds it to the pull-down list for that particular product. But, it is based on whatever you first start to type. Is there any way to ...

  1. Re: Show users in a pull down box

    the pull-down list for that particular product. But, it is based on
    whatever you first start to type. Is there any way to list all of the
    users for a "product" in one nice report like:

    Bugzilla username First Name Last Name
    bcrichards Brenda Richards
    {etc.} {etc.} {etc.}

    I was thinking that when we set up the people initially (and have a place
    to enter the first and last name) that all someone would have to do was
    enter the first and last name, and it would automatically route to their
    bugzilla name. But that is not true. We have to go in and look up to our
    company telephone book to find the middle initial and email address to know
    what to type. Such a report as above would surely be handy.

    weseloh1@llnl.gov
    Sent by:
    support-bugzilla- To
    bounces@lists.moz support-bugzilla@lists.mozilla.org
    illa.org cc

    Subject
    01/18/2007 01:21 Re: Show users in a pull down box
    PM

    I think it really depends on how many users you have. We have approx.
    50 and they love pull down menus. They don't necessarily know first
    names to enter and love seeing them all listed (and the less typing
    they have to do the better). If I were to switch them to completion
    they would demand I immediately switch them back. Just another point
    of view. We use pull down for everything we can.

    Quoting timeless :

    > On Jan 17, 2:04 am, "Rama K" wrote:
    >> I need to display the list of users in a pull down box and should be

    able to
    >> choose one of them when I assign bugs or CC . Is there a way to get this
    >> instead of explicitly giving the user's email address

    > It's possible, but you *REALLY* don't want to do this.
    >
    > Use completion instead. It will allow people to enter a first name, a
    > last number, or a fragment of an email address. The result is a list.
    >
    > Note that the user list option you're asking for scales *very* poorly.
    >
    > I'm speaking from experience with a Bugzilla foolishly configured to
    > use this feature.
    >
    > 4/5 of any page we load is composed of the user list (three times).
    > Something like 4000 lines for the user list out of a bug with 5300
    > lines. The page load times also suck because bugzilla wastes time
    > getting a user list that no one needs.
    >
    > And actually *using* the user list is hard because you will have lots
    > of people with the same first couple of letters however you slice their
    > name.
    >
    > It's *much* easier for me to type a substring of someone's name than it
    > is to scroll through a huge list to try to select the right person.

    > you reply.

    reply.

  2. Re: Show users in a pull down box

    weseloh1@llnl.gov wrote:
    > I think it really depends on how many users you have.

    I've used Bugzillas with 30 or fewer users and it was still much easier
    to use user matching. Especially if you have 3 people w/ the first few
    letters in their respective names.

    > We have approx.
    > 50 and they love pull down menus. They don't necessarily know first
    > names to enter

    I don't need to know first names either, I can choose to use last
    names, or fragments of email addresses, or as I describe below, I can
    get a list when I really don't know.

    > and love seeing them all listed (and the less typing
    > they have to do the better). If I were to switch them to completion
    > they would demand I immediately switch them back. Just another point
    > of view. We use pull down for everything we can.

    If you have fewer than 100 users, just enter "@" into the cc list using
    user matching and you'll get the whole list.

    Yes it means they have to type @ when they want the directory,
    but it also means that once they start learning people they get
    something faster and better, and if you ever grow past 50, you're in
    much better shape.

    And again, your average user tends to pick the same people repeatedly
    from lists, as long as they're typing, any modern browser will learn
    their habits, which means they stop having to type and can simply e.g.
    double click the field and pick from a drop down w/ the 5 people they
    cc instead of your list of 50. Even the smartest modern browsers don't
    offer this for listboxes.

    I did have code which could do this for listboxes, but I don't own it.

    On Jan 18, 8:33 pm, bcrichards@aep.com wrote:
    > the pull-down list for that particular product. But, it is based on
    > whatever you first start to type. Is there any way to list all of the
    > users for a "product" in one nice report like:
    >
    > Bugzilla username First Name Last Name
    > bcrichards Brenda Richards
    > {etc.} {etc.} {etc.}
    >
    > I was thinking that when we set up the people initially (and have a place
    > to enter the first and last name) that all someone would have to do was
    > enter the first and last name, and it would automatically route to their
    > bugzilla name. But that is not true. We have to go in and look up to our
    > company telephone book to find the middle initial and email address to know
    > what to type. Such a report as above would surely be handy.

    The suggestion I made above is close to what bcrichards@aep.com was
    looking for, of course, it's not really the same since it's a listbox
    instead of 3 columns.

    I wrote something called find users (people w/ editusers do get what
    you want, kinda) which is basically what you want, but it never made it
    into cvs and i stopped caring.

    One problem is that Bugzilla doesn't have a concept of first name or
    last name or organization or department or company or any of those
    other fields.

    I've also filed a bug asking for that, and once that's added such a
    request becomes more useful.

    As for users and products, Bugzilla generally (ignoring strict
    isolation which very few of the developers actually use) has no concept
    of users relating to products. The exception of course are default QAs
    and Assignees. But those often aren't very useful. Eventually you'll
    have to do something else.

+ Reply to Thread