Component Clean-Up without E-mailing? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Component Clean-Up without E-mailing? - Mozilla ; We are in the process of cleaning up our component list by creating the new component and then changing the component of many bugs at once then deleting the old component. The problem is that when we change many bugs ...

  1. Component Clean-Up without E-mailing?

    We are in the process of cleaning up our component list by creating the new
    component and then changing the component of many bugs at once then deleting
    the old component.

    The problem is that when we change many bugs at once bugzilla sends out
    e-mail for each bug that was affected. We would like to be able to make
    these changes administratively without blasting the world with hundreds of
    e-mails.

    Could anyone suggest a way to do this?

    Thanks,
    Rand

  2. Re: Component Clean-Up without E-mailing?

    Rand Reed wrote:

    > The problem is that when we change many bugs at once bugzilla sends out
    > e-mail for each bug that was affected.

    For BZ 2.20, what we do is to set the Bugzilla Parameter
    "mail_delivery_method" to "none" (must be done by a Bugzilla admin),
    make the mass changes, and then change it back to whatever it was
    ("sendmail", etc.)

    (And we obviously do this during a quiet period so that no "other"
    bugzilla transactions are taking place, or their mail will be lost, too..)

  3. Re: Component Clean-Up without E-mailing?

    That sounds reasonable - until we look at the sheer number of items we need
    to deal with. This will take at least 8 or 9 hours and we would have to do
    that in the middle of the night for a quiet time.

    Any other options?

    "Shankar Unni" wrote in message
    > Rand Reed wrote:
    >
    > > The problem is that when we change many bugs at once bugzilla sends out
    > > e-mail for each bug that was affected.

    > For BZ 2.20, what we do is to set the Bugzilla Parameter
    > "mail_delivery_method" to "none" (must be done by a Bugzilla admin),
    > make the mass changes, and then change it back to whatever it was
    > ("sendmail", etc.)
    >
    > (And we obviously do this during a quiet period so that no "other"
    > bugzilla transactions are taking place, or their mail will be lost, too..)

  4. Re: Component Clean-Up without E-mailing?

    Rand Reed wrote:

    > Any other options?

    Well, there's direct SQL, of course. You generate a list of (old
    product, old component) -> (new product, new component) mappings, and
    then create a shell script that generates SQL statements of the form

    UPDATE bugs set product_id='newprodid', component_id='newcompid' where
    product_id='oldprodid' and component_id='oldcompid';

    etc. That's what we did for an earlier "grand project reorg" exercise.

  5. Re: Component Clean-Up without E-mailing?

    On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 08:49 -0500, Rand Reed wrote:
    > That sounds reasonable - until we look at the sheer number of items we need
    > to deal with. This will take at least 8 or 9 hours and we would have to do
    > that in the middle of the night for a quiet time.
    >
    > Any other options?

    You could do the change directly in the database itself.

    Or you could hack process_bug.cgi to not email on mass-changes. You'd
    have to figure that out yourself.

    -Max
    --
    http://www.everythingsolved.com/
    Competent, Friendly Bugzilla Services. And Everything Else, too.

+ Reply to Thread