Can a plugin access the file system? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Can a plugin access the file system? - Mozilla ; Hi, my company may need to create a Firefox addin/plugin/extension, and I'd like to check the possibilities before I spend months learning the process... The main task for the plugin is to access the file system (Windows, Mac and Linux), ...

  1. Can a plugin access the file system?

    Hi,

    my company may need to create a Firefox addin/plugin/extension, and I'd
    like to check the possibilities before I spend months learning the
    process...

    The main task for the plugin is to access the file system (Windows, Mac
    and Linux), check if a file exists and if it has the correct version and
    (if the file is not there or old) to either copy files from the internet
    directly into the correct folder or to direct the user to a page with
    our installer.

    I take it that giving write access to the file system is a high security
    risk, so there's a good chance we'll have to give up on that, but
    reading a file or testing the existence of a file might be possible.

    Can someone tell me if this IS possible or not?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Can a plugin access the file system?

    Richard Lund wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > my company may need to create a Firefox addin/plugin/extension, and I'd
    > like to check the possibilities before I spend months learning the
    > process...
    >
    > The main task for the plugin is to access the file system (Windows, Mac
    > and Linux), check if a file exists and if it has the correct version and
    > (if the file is not there or old) to either copy files from the internet
    > directly into the correct folder or to direct the user to a page with
    > our installer.
    >
    > I take it that giving write access to the file system is a high security
    > risk, so there's a good chance we'll have to give up on that, but
    > reading a file or testing the existence of a file might be possible.
    >
    > Can someone tell me if this IS possible or not?
    >
    > Thanks!

    For extension of Firefox this IS possible. That is one of the reasons
    that FF3 has much work on security of extensions.

    John

+ Reply to Thread