installing .xpi extensions globally vs. per-profile - Mozilla

This is a discussion on installing .xpi extensions globally vs. per-profile - Mozilla ; I'd like to configure my .xpi package so it pops up a dialog box asking me if I want to install the extension as a normal per-profile extension, or whether I want to install globally. Is there an easy way ...

  1. installing .xpi extensions globally vs. per-profile

    I'd like to configure my .xpi package so it pops up a dialog box
    asking me if I want to install the extension as a normal per-profile
    extension, or whether I want to install globally. Is there an easy way
    to write something in install.js to do this? Right now I'm not using
    install.js, I have an install.rdf and it works nicely to install per-
    profile extensions.

    where can I find out how the normal process (drop the XPI file onto
    Firefox and it installs-automatically) works? I'm confused about
    install.js vs. install.rdf and all that.

  2. Re: installing .xpi extensions globally vs. per-profile

    On 5/5/2008 5:49 PM, Philip Chee wrote:
    > On Mon, 5 May 2008 10:03:30 -0700 (PDT), Jason S wrote:
    >
    >> I'd like to configure my .xpi package so it pops up a dialog box
    >> asking me if I want to install the extension as a normal per-profile
    >> extension, or whether I want to install globally. Is there an easy way
    >> to write something in install.js to do this? Right now I'm not using
    >> install.js, I have an install.rdf and it works nicely to install per-
    >> profile extensions.
    >>
    >> where can I find out how the normal process (drop the XPI file onto
    >> Firefox and it installs-automatically) works? I'm confused about
    >> install.js vs. install.rdf and all that.

    > Just a FYI, Firefox 3.0 will NOT support install.js and install.js is
    > depreciated - and has been since Firefox 1.0. It's still needed for
    > SeaMonkey 1.0 and 1.1, but in general you should stick to install.rdf
    > especially if you want your extension to install in Firefox 3.0 or
    > Thunderbird 3.0 or SeaMonkey 2.0.
    >
    > Phil

    Will the option still be available to install an extension in the
    SeaMonkey 2 root? Or will all extensions have to be installed in the
    profile?

    --
    David E. Ross

    Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    Mozilla-related applications. You can access Mozdev much

  3. Re: installing .xpi extensions globally vs. per-profile

    On Tue, 06 May 2008 07:37:54 -0700, David E. Ross wrote:

    > Will the option still be available to install an extension in the
    > SeaMonkey 2 root? Or will all extensions have to be installed in the
    > profile?

    SeaMonkey 2.0 uses exactly the same addons manager as Firefox 3.0, so
    install.js will NOT be supported. The new Addons manager does support a
    command line option to install globally but you can't trigger it from
    the extension itself.

    Phil

    --
    Philip Chee ,
    [ ]Lao-tse said: Those who know don't tell; those who tell don't know.

  4. Re: installing .xpi extensions globally vs. per-profile

    On May 7, 5:09 am, Philip Chee wrote:
    > SeaMonkey 2.0 uses exactly the same addons manager as Firefox 3.0, so
    > install.js will NOT be supported. The new Addons manager does support a
    > command line option to install globally but you can't trigger it from
    > the extension itself.

    how does one do this (command-line option to install globally)? and
    would it also work w/ FF 2.0? I'm working on an extension for a
    project here @ work and I want to install once per computer, & not
    have to worry about installing again and again once per profile/user.

  5. Re: installing .xpi extensions globally vs. per-profile

    On Wed, 7 May 2008 06:14:27 -0700 (PDT), Jason S wrote:
    > On May 7, 5:09 am, Philip Chee wrote:
    >> SeaMonkey 2.0 uses exactly the same addons manager as Firefox 3.0, so
    >> install.js will NOT be supported. The new Addons manager does support a
    >> command line option to install globally but you can't trigger it from
    >> the extension itself.

    > how does one do this (command-line option to install globally)? and
    > would it also work w/ FF 2.0? I'm working on an extension for a
    > project here @ work and I want to install once per computer, & not
    > have to worry about installing again and again once per profile/user.

    But you should also read for other ideas:

    In Windows you can use a registry setting to globally point to your
    extension. In Linux/OSX (Firefox 3) there is a common global directory
    for extensions. See:

    Phil

    --
    Philip Chee ,

  6. Re: installing .xpi extensions globally vs. per-profile

    On May 8, 12:05 am, Philip Chee wrote:
    > > how does one do this (command-line option to install globally)? and
    > > would it also work w/ FF 2.0? I'm working on an extension for a
    > > project here @ work and I want to install once per computer, & not
    > > have to worry about installing again and again once per profile/user.

    > But you should also read for other ideas:

    hurray! thanks, that's the stuff I was looking for.

  7. Re: installing .xpi extensions globally vs. per-profile

    On 5/7/2008 6:14 AM, Jason S wrote:
    > On May 7, 5:09 am, Philip Chee wrote:
    >> SeaMonkey 2.0 uses exactly the same addons manager as Firefox 3.0, so
    >> install.js will NOT be supported. The new Addons manager does support a
    >> command line option to install globally but you can't trigger it from
    >> the extension itself.

    > how does one do this (command-line option to install globally)? and
    > would it also work w/ FF 2.0? I'm working on an extension for a
    > project here @ work and I want to install once per computer, & not
    > have to worry about installing again and again once per profile/user.

    I have submitted bug report #432656 as an RFE for Firefox 3. See
    .