Re: newbie: FF2 or FF3 for new extensions;also Q on startup vs scheduled actions - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: newbie: FF2 or FF3 for new extensions;also Q on startup vs scheduled actions - Mozilla ; I can't answer all of your questions, but here answers to some of them: > Question 1: I recieved limited response to an earlier question ("what do I > need to know/do/avoid to program an extension that will work in ...

  1. Re: newbie: FF2 or FF3 for new extensions;also Q on startup vs scheduled actions

    I can't answer all of your questions, but here answers to some of them:

    > Question 1: I recieved limited response to an earlier question ("what do I
    > need to know/do/avoid to program an extension that will work in *both* FF2
    > and FF3?"). So in addition to re-asking that question, I'll also ask if it
    > makes more sense for a newbie to focus on just making a FF3 extension, and
    > worry less about backward compatibility?

    Yes, definitely... especially for bookmark-focused addons like the one you're talking about.
    Bookmarks have been completely redesigned from FF2 to FF3.

    > Is there a preferred approach
    > to hooking the system clock and running a code snippet at a particular time
    > every day in FF/Javascript?

    Yes. setTimeout() and its windowless-equivalent, nsITimer.

    > Also, is there an automatic way to tell GMT in
    > one call (e.g. without a bunch of extra calculation based on local
    > timezone), in case I need to expire bookmarks based on (for example) time in
    > NY (EST) regardless of local time?

    Don't know, but I don't see why this is relevant. Just install a timer to expires after n msecs. msecs could be once per hour, once per day, etc.

    > Question 3: Can anyone point me to a web reference on the bookmark object in
    > FF?

    FF2: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...pets:Bookmarks

    FF3: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Places
    (Bookmarks are now called Places)

    HTH,
    Eric

    Be a better friend, newshound, and
    know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i...Dypao8Wcj9tAcJ

  2. Re: newbie: FF2 or FF3 for new extensions;also Q on startup vs scheduled actions

    Eric- thank you for your responses. I'll start focusing on FF3 and read the
    bookmark object link today.

    The reason for the expiry at a specific time (midnight EST) is really
    because I'm trying to synch up with a pseudo-expiry on certain web pages. To
    be specific, I want my extension to manage bookmarks related to online
    contests where you can enter once per day; the bookmark should auto-expire
    when the contest is over so the user won't have to delete the bookmark.
    Worst case I can autoexpire to local system time, or calculate it based on
    local time zone, or figure out how to bounce a time request off of NIST's
    atomic clock web site. The latter actually might be the best option, because
    it would allow me to auto-expire at the correct time even if the local
    system clock is set inaccurately...

    Thanks!
    Keith

    "Eric H. Jung" wrote in message
    >I can't answer all of your questions, but here answers to some of them:
    >

    >> Question 1: I recieved limited response to an earlier question ("what do
    >> need to know/do/avoid to program an extension that will work in *both*
    >> FF2
    >> and FF3?"). So in addition to re-asking that question, I'll also ask if
    >> it
    >> makes more sense for a newbie to focus on just making a FF3 extension,
    >> and
    >> worry less about backward compatibility?
    >>

    > Yes, definitely... especially for bookmark-focused addons like the one
    > you're talking about.
    > Bookmarks have been completely redesigned from FF2 to FF3.
    >
    >> Is there a preferred approach
    >> to hooking the system clock and running a code snippet at a particular
    >> time
    >> every day in FF/Javascript?

    > Yes. setTimeout() and its windowless-equivalent, nsITimer.
    >
    >> Also, is there an automatic way to tell GMT in
    >> one call (e.g. without a bunch of extra calculation based on local
    >> timezone), in case I need to expire bookmarks based on (for example) time
    >> in
    >> NY (EST) regardless of local time?

    > Don't know, but I don't see why this is relevant. Just install a timer to
    > expires after n msecs. msecs could be once per hour, once per day, etc.
    >
    >> Question 3: Can anyone point me to a web reference on the bookmark object
    >> in
    >> FF?

    > FF2: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...pets:Bookmarks
    >
    > FF3: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Places