is there a javascript support forum? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on is there a javascript support forum? - Mozilla ; Is there a forum where non-extension javascript coding techniques are discussed? Questions like: Is it possible to determine what subset of content in a text box is currently selected, and how? Is it possible to drag-n-drop a file from Windows ...

  1. is there a javascript support forum?

    Is there a forum where non-extension javascript coding techniques are
    discussed?

    Questions like:

    Is it possible to determine what subset of content in a text box is
    currently selected, and how?

    Is it possible to drag-n-drop a file from Windows Explorer to a file
    upload box in the browser, and how or why not or what ways might be
    available to catch file drop options for this purpose?

    --
    Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/
    ===========================

  2. Re: is there a javascript support forum?

    Glenn wrote:
    > Is it possible to determine what subset of content in a text box is
    > currently selected, and how?

    Yes, by examining the textbox's selectionStart and selectionEnd properties.

    > Is it possible to drag-n-drop a file from Windows Explorer to a file
    > upload box in the browser, and how or why not or what ways might be
    > available to catch file drop options for this purpose?

    No, but there is a bug filed on drag and drop to file upload widgets.

  3. Re: is there a javascript support forum?

    Thanks to Eric for the form, and to Neal for the specific answers.

    On approximately 4/25/2008 3:36 PM, came the following characters from
    the keyboard of Neil Deakin:
    > Glenn wrote:
    >> Is it possible to determine what subset of content in a text box is
    >> currently selected, and how?
    >>

    > Yes, by examining the textbox's selectionStart and selectionEnd properties.

    I guess this answer isn't cross-platform But I do have it working
    now for SM. Yes, I realize I asked in a mozilla newsgroup

    >> Is it possible to drag-n-drop a file from Windows Explorer to a file
    >> upload box in the browser, and how or why not or what ways might be
    >> available to catch file drop options for this purpose?

    > No, but there is a bug filed on drag and drop to file upload widgets.

    Would be nice if the drag-n-drop on an input text or textarea grabbed
    the file name, also; one might not always wish to upload the file...
    although that is clearly the most obvious use.

    --
    Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/
    ===========================

  4. Re: is there a javascript support forum?

    On approximately 4/25/2008 3:49 PM, came the following characters from
    the keyboard of Glenn:
    > Thanks to Eric for the form, and to Neal for the specific answers.

    Neil, sorry, misspelled your name. Have a friend Neal locally here...

    > Would be nice if the drag-n-drop on an input text or textarea grabbed
    > the file name, also; one might not always wish to upload the file...
    > although that is clearly the most obvious use.

    Maybe Javascript can extract the name from the upload widget without
    uploading... will investigate that.

    --
    Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/
    ===========================

  5. Learning the hard way [Was: Re: is there a javascript support forum?]

    On approximately 4/25/2008 3:49 PM, came the following characters from
    the keyboard of Glenn:
    > On approximately 4/25/2008 3:36 PM, came the following characters from
    > the keyboard of Neil Deakin:
    >> Glenn wrote:
    >>> Is it possible to determine what subset of content in a text box is
    >>> currently selected, and how?

    >> Yes, by examining the textbox's selectionStart and selectionEnd
    >> properties.

    > I guess this answer isn't cross-platform But I do have it working
    > now for SM. Yes, I realize I asked in a mozilla newsgroup

    OK, I searched, and found a cross-platform solution, of sorts, at
    . IE is really weird regarding
    text selections. Seems like it is optimized for a different brain than
    mine, and what I consider very simple things, which are simple on
    Mozilla, takes extremely complex code by comparison, for IE.

    But the _real_ mystery, is, once I found the solution, I started coding
    something closer to what I might want to do with it, to see if I
    understood how to use it.

    My test case is at .
    This code works on IE, works on Opera about the same, and works on
    SeaMonkey.

    It points out two incompatibilities between IE 7 and SM besides the
    different (no standard in this area) methods of selecting the text.

    Incompatibility #1:

    1) SM counts newlines as 1 character (\n ?)
    2) IE and Opera count newlines as 2 characters (\r\n ?)

    This could, I suppose, be a bug in the code that I've found? The source
    data is only in the file one way, so one of the two is converting it
    somehow.

    This is relatively minor, but annoying. I'll have to try to find what
    the standard says about multiline delimiters, if it actually says
    anything, unless someone has already researched that and wishes to
    respond here. My guess is that it says it should be \n only, but that
    is from fading memories from years ago, when I first started reading
    about the web, and the "Standards" were pretty loose.

    Incompatibility #2:

    This one took me _hours_ to find

    Note that and
    work identically on SM and
    Opera. But the latter doesn't work on IE7.

    The difference? Whether the included fooie.js file is included in the
    (works, fooie) or the (doesn't work, fooie2) section.

    Can anyone explain that? Is IE7 non-standard in placement of Javascript
    also? Some effect if you inline the code in each of those two places
    rather than using src= option to grab it from a file. Or is there
    really an intended difference in using