GUI design question - Mozilla

This is a discussion on GUI design question - Mozilla ; Hi, My main options dialog consists primarily of 5 tabs. Two of the tabs are getting larger and more complex, so I want to move them into their own dialog boxes. If I leave them as tabs, they will make ...

  1. GUI design question

    Hi,

    My main options dialog consists primarily of 5 tabs. Two of the tabs are getting larger and more complex, so I want to move them into their own dialog boxes. If I leave them as tabs, they will make the options dialog too large. Here are the existing tabs:

    http://foxyproxy.mozdev.org/images/s...t/quickadd.png
    http://foxyproxy.mozdev.org/images/s...nt/autoadd.png

    Here's a mockup of the tabs after they've been moved into dialogs:

    http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2694/captureea2.png
    (Notice they are now simply buttons)

    This looks really weird to me, and I'm wondering if anyone has ideas how else I might do this.

    Thanks,
    Eric

    Be a better friend, newshound, and
    know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i...Dypao8Wcj9tAcJ

  2. Re: GUI design question

    On approximately 4/25/2008 7:56 AM, came the following characters from
    the keyboard of Eric H. Jung:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My main options dialog consists primarily of 5 tabs. Two of the tabs are getting larger and more complex, so I want to move them into their own dialog boxes. If I leave them as tabs, they will make the options dialog too large. Here are the existing tabs:
    >
    > http://foxyproxy.mozdev.org/images/s...t/quickadd.png
    > http://foxyproxy.mozdev.org/images/s...nt/autoadd.png
    >
    > Here's a mockup of the tabs after they've been moved into dialogs:
    >
    > http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2694/captureea2.png
    > (Notice they are now simply buttons)
    >
    > This looks really weird to me, and I'm wondering if anyone has ideas how else I might do this.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Eric

    Some brainstorming ideas, all theoretical, not backed up by coding
    techniques:

    "Too large" is somewhat subjective... some would say that anything
    larger than 640x480 is too large, of course... is the dialog for those
    two tabs able to be smaller after moving them to a separate dialog?

    If the new dialog will be bigger and appear over the old dialog, what is
    gained vs making the dialog bigger?

    Is there not the possibility of leaving them as tabs, but having the
    dialog grow/shrink depending on which tab is selected? (might require
    two separate dialog designs, and switching back and forth?)

    What about scrolling the content of the larger dialogs? (although I'd
    rather stretch the dialog to contain it without scrolling, in general,
    but if it gets way big...)

    --
    Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/