How to instantiate nsIHelperAppLauncher - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How to instantiate nsIHelperAppLauncher - Mozilla ; Hello, I am trying to call the show method of nsIHelperAppLauncherDialog. How do I pass an instance of nsIHelperAppLauncher? Usually the documentation at XUL planet would say which method returns this object but in case of nsIHelperAppLauncher it doesn't. I ...

  1. How to instantiate nsIHelperAppLauncher

    Hello,

    I am trying to call the show method of nsIHelperAppLauncherDialog. How
    do I pass an instance of nsIHelperAppLauncher?

    Usually the documentation at XUL planet would say which method returns
    this object but in case of nsIHelperAppLauncher it doesn't.

    I would also appreciate if someone showed me where I can look to get
    over such documentation problems. I have the source code for mozilla
    downloaded on my machine.

    I am just a beginner trying to find my way through this.

    Also can someone please explain what these datatypes such as
    PRUnichar* are in javascript speak? Is there a webpage that describes
    these datatypes?

    Thanks
    Vijay

  2. Re: How to instantiate nsIHelperAppLauncher

    Vijay wrote:
    > I would also appreciate if someone showed me where I can look to get
    > over such documentation problems. I have the source code for mozilla
    > downloaded on my machine.

    MXR is a great way to dig into the source code:

    http://mxr.mozilla.org/

    In particular, all the files that make up Firefox are available from the
    Firefox starting point:

    http://mxr.mozilla.org/firefox/

    If you do a text search for nsIHelperAppLauncher

    you'll get a list of files where that string appears that might help you
    figure out how to retrieve or implement an object with that interface.

    > Also can someone please explain what these datatypes such as
    > PRUnichar* are in javascript speak? Is there a webpage that describes
    > these datatypes?

    The string types generally map transparently to JavaScript strings when
    passed through XPConnect, so if you are writing your extension in JS,
    then you are unlikely to need to worry about string types. More info is
    available (but really, you probably don't need to worry about it):

    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/XPCOM:Strings

    -myk

+ Reply to Thread