Re: firefox require restart after installation of xpi package - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: firefox require restart after installation of xpi package - Mozilla ; plugin != extension ----- Original Message ---- From: Sana To: dev-extensions@lists.mozilla.org Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 5:27:41 PM Subject: firefox require restart after installation of xpi package Hi, I have created an XPI package. Signed it and deployed it on ...

  1. Re: firefox require restart after installation of xpi package

    plugin != extension

    ----- Original Message ----
    From: Sana
    To: dev-extensions@lists.mozilla.org
    Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 5:27:41 PM
    Subject: firefox require restart after installation of xpi package

    Hi,

    I have created an XPI package. Signed it and deployed it on a web
    site. Firefox downloads and installs the package. The only issue I
    have is that FF asks me to restart FF after installation. I have
    noticed that Adobe Flash plugin does not require restart of the
    browser (although it seems it refreshes the page). Is there something
    I can do to get the same behavior? My plugin has no UI. It offerssome
    processing functionality which is invoked from JavaScript.

    Thanks,
    Sana

  2. Re: firefox require restart after installation of xpi package

    On Oct 10, 10:26 pm, eric.j...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > plugin != extension

    My stuff is a plug-in. It installs in the plugins folder. Adobe flash
    plugin is also a plugin (duh!).
    So, my question still stands: is there a way to avoid FF restart when
    installing a plugin via xpi package?

    Thanks,
    Sana

  3. Re: firefox require restart after installation of xpi package

    Sana wrote:
    > On Oct 10, 10:26 pm, eric.j...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> plugin != extension
    >>

    > My stuff is a plug-in. It installs in the plugins folder. Adobe flash
    > plugin is also a plugin (duh!).
    > So, my question still stands: is there a way to avoid FF restart when
    > installing a plugin via xpi package?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sana

    Look at adobe's install.js. I have a feeling there is something to kick
    Firefox into spotting new plugins. You'll have to add the same to your
    install.js.

  4. Re: firefox require restart after installation of xpi package

    Dave Townsend wrote:
    > Sana wrote:
    >> On Oct 10, 10:26 pm, eric.j...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>> plugin != extension
    >>>

    >> My stuff is a plug-in. It installs in the plugins folder. Adobe flash
    >> plugin is also a plugin (duh!).
    >> So, my question still stands: is there a way to avoid FF restart when
    >> installing a plugin via xpi package?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Sana
    >>

    > Look at adobe's install.js. I have a feeling there is something to kick
    > Firefox into spotting new plugins. You'll have to add the same to your
    > install.js.

    If you are using dumping files into an existing plugin directory, you
    can just call navigator.plugins.refresh() from JS (possibly as a
    javascript: URI). Or visit aboutlugins which does that for you.

    If you are using xpi with install.rdf, you need to restart for it to
    register as some place that needs to be scanned.

    (Flash is, last I checked, an .exe installer in an xpi started by
    install.js, so it puts the dll in the application directory)

    --
    Mook
    mook dot moz blah blah

  5. Re: firefox require restart after installation of xpi package

    On Oct 11, 11:30 am, Mook
    wrote:
    > Dave Townsend wrote:
    > > Sana wrote:

    > >> My stuff is a plug-in. It installs in the plugins folder. Adobe flash
    > >> plugin is also a plugin (duh!).
    > >> So, my question still stands: is there a way to avoid FF restart when
    > >> installing a plugin via xpi package?

    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Sana

    > > Look at adobe's install.js. I have a feeling there is something to kick
    > > Firefox into spotting new plugins. You'll have to add the same to your
    > > install.js.

    > If you are using dumping files into an existing plugin directory, you
    > can just call navigator.plugins.refresh() from JS (possibly as a
    > javascript: URI). Or visit aboutlugins which does that for you.
    >
    > If you are using xpi with install.rdf, you need to restart for it to
    > register as some place that needs to be scanned.
    >
    > (Flash is, last I checked, an .exe installer in an xpi started by
    > install.js, so it puts the dll in the application directory)
    >
    > --
    > Mook
    > mook dot moz blah blah- Hide quoted text -

    Thank you so much for your answers. I'll post any further questions in
    the plugins forum.

+ Reply to Thread