Multiple Item Packaging - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Multiple Item Packaging - Mozilla ; I'm trying to create a multiple item package as described on the Mozilla Developer Center http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...Item_Packaging . Does anyone have a complete, working example?...

  1. Multiple Item Packaging

    I'm trying to create a multiple item package as described on the
    Mozilla Developer Center http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...Item_Packaging.

    Does anyone have a complete, working example?

  2. Re: Multiple Item Packaging

    On 10/8/07, nhlpens66 wrote:
    > I'm trying to create a multiple item package as described on the
    > Mozilla Developer Center http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...Item_Packaging.
    >
    > Does anyone have a complete, working example?

    If no-one does, we should create it. If you're having trouble with
    creating one, send me a simplified testcase you created and I'll try
    to make a working one out of it.

    Nickolay

  3. Re: Multiple Item Packaging

    Nickolay Ponomarev wrote:
    > On 10/8/07, nhlpens66 wrote:
    >> I'm trying to create a multiple item package as described on the
    >> Mozilla Developer Center http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...Item_Packaging.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a complete, working example?
    >>

    > If no-one does, we should create it. If you're having trouble with
    > creating one, send me a simplified testcase you created and I'll try
    > to make a working one out of it.
    >
    > Nickolay

    Not to mention this blurb: "A Multiple Item Package does not have the
    same requirements as an Extension for its install.rdf. The only required
    items are em:id, em:targetApplication, and em:type."

    Which makes me think that there is no hash requirement here, which could
    lead to security issues, or a simple way to bypass the updateURL/hash
    requirements?

    --
    Michael Vincent van Rantwijk
    - MultiZilla Project Team Lead

  4. Re: Multiple Item Packaging

    Okay. I've listed an install.rdf file that actually works. My
    problem, it turns out is in one of my bundled sub packages. This is
    the error I originally had attributed to the multi item package.
    "Firefox could not install this item because
    "install-8wp..rdf" (provided by the item) is not well-formed or does
    not exist."

    Turns out that one of the sub packages uses an install script instead
    of an rdf manifest file. If I remove this xpi file from the top-level
    package, all is well. If I install the sub package stand-alone, all
    is well. It's only when I bundle the sub package in with the multi
    item package that the install fails.

    It subsequently barks again after dismissing the first error box:
    "Firefox could not install the file at file:///C:/myproject/install.xpi
    because: Unexpected installation error. Review the Error Console log
    for more details. -203." I guess this is what threw me off because my
    top-level package is install.xpi. All bundled packages have different
    names.

    This probably falls under a new thread, but now my problem is this:
    how to create an installer script using just a javascript file
    install.js. I don't need to register any chrome.

    The back story is this. I just want to launch a windows installer
    program as part of my extension installer.

    I'm using this javascript file install.js:

    var XpiInstaller = {
    install: function()
    {
    initInstall("Some Title","setup.exe","1.0");
    Install.execute("setup.exe");
    performInstall();
    };

    XpiInstaller.install();

    I can't distribute install.js and install.rdf together because of a
    schema change between install manager version in firefox.

    Therefore, I could find a way to invoke a script from the manifest
    file install.rdf, or, I could break the install into components, one
    with the new style of using install.rdf, and one with the old style of
    using install.js. So I did the latter. Now, I'm just trying to get
    the multi install package to work with the javascript sub package.

    Here's the multi item package install.rdf:

    xmlns:NC="http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#"
    xmlns:em="http://www.mozilla.org/2004/em-rdf#">

    arseType="Integer">32

    multixpi@extenzilla.org
    MultiXPI
    0.1

    {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
    1.5
    2.0.0.*

  5. Re: Multiple Item Packaging

    nhlpens66 wrote:
    > Okay. I've listed an install.rdf file that actually works. My
    > problem, it turns out is in one of my bundled sub packages. This is
    > the error I originally had attributed to the multi item package.
    > "Firefox could not install this item because
    > "install-8wp..rdf" (provided by the item) is not well-formed or does
    > not exist."
    >
    > Turns out that one of the sub packages uses an install script instead
    > of an rdf manifest file. If I remove this xpi file from the top-level
    > package, all is well. If I install the sub package stand-alone, all
    > is well. It's only when I bundle the sub package in with the multi
    > item package that the install fails.
    >
    > It subsequently barks again after dismissing the first error box:
    > "Firefox could not install the file at file:///C:/myproject/install.xpi
    > because: Unexpected installation error. Review the Error Console log
    > for more details. -203." I guess this is what threw me off because my
    > top-level package is install.xpi. All bundled packages have different
    > names.

    The -203 error normally means: TOO_MANY_CERTIFICATES aka "Installation
    script was signed by more than one certificate"

    --
    Michael Vincent van Rantwijk
    - MultiZilla Project Team Lead
    - iPhone Application Developer

  6. Re: Multiple Item Packaging

    Nothing is being signed. ;-)

  7. Re: Multiple Item Packaging

    On Oct 8, 7:00 pm, nhlpens66 wrote:
    > Nothing is being signed. ;-)

    lightning-wcap.xpi contains and installs both lighting.xpi and wcap-
    enabler.xpi
    http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...1.8/linux-xpi/

  8. Re: Multiple Item Packaging

    On Oct 9, 9:37 am, Olive wrote:

    > lightning-wcap.xpi contains and installs both lighting.xpi and wcap-
    > enabler.xpihttp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/calendar/lightning/nightly/lat...

    I'm perusing all the files included in the lightning example that you
    provided. Does this example use an old-style javascript installer for
    one of the bundles, or instead, does one of the bundles run an
    executable?

    I don't think it does. If not, this won't really help me. It is
    however an example of a Multiple Item Package as the title is stated
    for this thread. ;-)

    I believe the javascript installer bundles are not supported in
    Multiple Item Packages. So, this leaves me one option, how to run an
    exe, or javascript, from install.rdf.

    Thanks,

    Jim Sadlek

  9. Re: Multiple Item Packaging

    No, you can't run executables from install.rdf packages at
    installation time. You may want to let the user download an executable
    installer instead.

    According to Benjamin Smedberg, install.js is broken in Vista and will
    not be fixed. Support for it may be removed in Fx3 or later. See bug
    352762, bug 380000, and bug 299041.

    I don't know if there are any plans to support launching executables
    from install.rdf and whether there are technical reasons not to do
    this in Vista. You may want to contact bsmedberg about it.

    Nickolay

    On 10/9/07, Jim Sadlek wrote:
    > Yes, I agree with your presumption. What I'm really after is a way to run a
    > windows installer program from the new install.rdf installers. Is there a
    > way to run javascript from the install.rdf such that I can run these three
    > lines of code?
    >
    > initInstall("Some Title","setup.exe","1.0");
    > Install.execute("setup.exe");
    > performInstall();
    >
    > Could I use XPComm perhaps? That's all that is missing from my extension
    > installer xpi package. I don't know much about XPComm to determine if it's
    > appropriate.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jim

  10. Re: Multiple Item Packaging

    You can also make a startup wizard to install additional plugins on
    demand.
    Here's an example: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3036
    IIRC in an old version the plugins were xpis. now they're a bunch of
    js/xul/html files.

+ Reply to Thread