What kind of element is the message viewer? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on What kind of element is the message viewer? - Mozilla ; Hi, I am trying to determine the type / id of the part in the main window where you read a mail that you have received (in Thunderbird -> so after you click a mail, at the bottom of the ...

  1. What kind of element is the message viewer?

    Hi,

    I am trying to determine the type / id of the part in the main window where you read a mail that you have received (in Thunderbird -> so after you click a mail, at the bottom of the page you can read its content).
    Does anyone know what kind of element that is?

    Thanks,
    Ioana

    ---------------------------------

  2. Re: What kind of element is the message viewer?

    Ioana Giurgiu wrote:

    >I am trying to determine the type / id of the part in the main window where you read a mail that you have received (in Thunderbird -> so after you click a mail, at the bottom of the page you can read its content).
    >Does anyone know what kind of element that is?

    It's

    --
    Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

  3. Re: What kind of element is the message viewer?

    Ioana Giurgiu wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to determine the type / id of the part in the main window where you read a mail that you have received (in Thunderbird -> so after you click a mail, at the bottom of the page you can read its content).
    > Does anyone know what kind of element that is?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ioana

    The "Preview Pane" or "Message Pane" of the Main (Mail&News) window.

    Here's the general method to find out the element, class and ID names (if any)
    of anything you can see in any (recent) Mozilla product.

    1. Make sure you have the DOM Inspector installed. (In Tb/Fx 1.5 and later,
    and in Sm 2.0a1 "or later", it's listed among your extensions if you have it.)
    It comes packaged with some distributions as an optional component. If you
    haven't got it, try to find a compatible version at addons.mozilla.org -- you
    should install a DOM Inspector package with a version number "close enough" to
    your Gecko version: for instance 1.8.1.x for Fx2 or Tb2.

    2. Display what you want to identify, then (maybe in another window of the
    same product instance: e.g. in Tb the Main and Message windows have that menu
    item but the Compose window doesn't) Tools => DOM Inspector (or, in some
    versions of e.g. SeaMonkey, Tools => Web Development => DOM Inspector).

    3. In the DOM Inspector window, under the File menu, select the window you
    want to inspect. (Depending on version, you may or may not have to decide
    first whether the window you want to inspect is a "chrome" or "content"
    window. That may take some guesswork: if you guess wrong, try the other.)

    4. Still in the DOM inpector window, near top left, click the widget that
    looks like a button with a mouse pointer on it.

    5. In the window you want to inspect, click on the object you want to identify.

    6. The object on which the click landed is now highlighted in the DOM
    inspector. Since there are almost always several nested objects using the same
    screen space, what is actually highlighted may be a parent or a child of what
    you actually meant; but you can navigate the DOM tree, and each time you click
    on a different element in the DOM Inspector, it will be outlined in blinking
    red for a few moments in its own window (provided, of course, that it is visible).

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Q: How many heterosexual males does it take to screw in a light bulb
    in San Francisco?

+ Reply to Thread