Extension upload problem for large file size - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Extension upload problem for large file size - Mozilla ; Hi, I'm unable to upload my extension to addons.mozilla.org My extension is 17MB and I provide the link in the upload box, but after some time the upload fails and returns me back to step 1 Please help. Regards, Ali...

  1. Extension upload problem for large file size

    Hi,
    I'm unable to upload my extension to addons.mozilla.org
    My extension is 17MB and I provide the link in the upload box, but after
    some time the upload fails and returns me back to step 1

    Please help.

    Regards,
    Ali

  2. Re: Extension upload problem for large file size

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 12:35:50 +0100, Ali wrote:

    > I'm unable to upload my extension to addons.mozilla.org
    > My extension is 17MB and I provide the link in the upload box, but after
    > some time the upload fails and returns me back to step 1

    I think that the current limit is 10MB. Unless your extension is
    AllPeers (they get special treatment for their very large extension).

    Phil

    --
    Philip Chee ,
    [ ]Blessed our young they will inherit our national debt.

  3. Re: Extension upload problem for large file size

    You have to file a bug at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org , asking for
    hosting it. Search for a similar AllPeers bug and clone it.

  4. Re: Extension upload problem for large file size

    Philip Chee wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 12:35:50 +0100, Ali wrote:
    >
    >> I'm unable to upload my extension to addons.mozilla.org
    >> My extension is 17MB and I provide the link in the upload box, but after
    >> some time the upload fails and returns me back to step 1

    > I think that the current limit is 10MB. Unless your extension is
    > AllPeers (they get special treatment for their very large extension).
    >
    > Phil

    Allpeers (win) is just ~4.7MB where ~3.4MB (9MB uncompressed) accounts
    for that massive allpeers.dll alone...

    I don't even want to imagine the reason for a 17MB extension...
    The current fx trunk zips account for just 8,8MB at the moment, which
    just about is half the size of an extension?

    Ali, check if you could provide platform specific XPIs if you need to
    distribute platform specific binaries.
    If you need to install some third-party software then do not bundle it
    with the extension. Makes no sense to include a JRE offline installer or
    something like this IMO.
    Try use appropriate media types, such as png (graphics)/jpeg images...
    And, of course, use the highest zip compression mode for the xpi.

    Nils

  5. Re: Extension upload problem for large file size

    Hi Nils,
    The extension uses a 16MB incompressible table stored in a file as the
    core of a cryptographic algorithm. Hence the size.

    Cheers,
    Ali

    Nils Maier wrote:
    > Philip Chee wrote:
    >> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 12:35:50 +0100, Ali wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm unable to upload my extension to addons.mozilla.org
    >>> My extension is 17MB and I provide the link in the upload box, but after
    >>> some time the upload fails and returns me back to step 1

    >> I think that the current limit is 10MB. Unless your extension is
    >> AllPeers (they get special treatment for their very large extension).
    >>
    >> Phil
    >>

    > Allpeers (win) is just ~4.7MB where ~3.4MB (9MB uncompressed) accounts
    > for that massive allpeers.dll alone...
    >
    > I don't even want to imagine the reason for a 17MB extension...
    > The current fx trunk zips account for just 8,8MB at the moment, which
    > just about is half the size of an extension?
    >
    > Ali, check if you could provide platform specific XPIs if you need to
    > distribute platform specific binaries.
    > If you need to install some third-party software then do not bundle it
    > with the extension. Makes no sense to include a JRE offline installer or
    > something like this IMO.
    > Try use appropriate media types, such as png (graphics)/jpeg images...
    > And, of course, use the highest zip compression mode for the xpi.
    >
    > Nils

+ Reply to Thread