If is it really important hiding source code I think you can
implement a dirty sollution that encrypt/decrypt javascript
files and copy unencrypted .js files to user HOME directory.
But (1) perhaps this is more work than the extension itself
and (2) (tell your boss that) you are doing an extension of
an opensource application that it was not designed for
hiding source code. And that software licenses are the
mechanism for protecting software copyrights.

(hope you can understand my poor english)