Thunderbird: Copy Attachment to Clipboard - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Thunderbird: Copy Attachment to Clipboard - Mozilla ; One of the few things that I still missed about Eudora was the ability to copy a file attachment to the clipboard, and then paste it into explorer. Thus gave me the motivation to figure out mozilla extensions. At http://www.abednarz.net/thunderbird.html ...

  1. Thunderbird: Copy Attachment to Clipboard

    One of the few things that I still missed about Eudora was the ability
    to copy a file attachment to the clipboard, and then paste it into explorer.

    Thus gave me the motivation to figure out mozilla extensions.

    At http://www.abednarz.net/thunderbird.html you can download a new
    Thunderbid extension 'CopyAttachmentToClipbard'. This adds a 'Copy
    attachment to clipboard' menu option when you right click on one or more
    attachments, allowing you to then paste the file(s) into an explorer
    window, or any other application that supports pasting files.

    It currently only works for windows as it has to call a small native
    executable due to the CF_HDROP clipboard data type required by explorer.

    This currently works by saving the attachment(s) to the temporary folder
    and then calling 'win_cftcb.exe' passing the attachment names. Obviously
    this could be expanded to support other OSes or desktop systems by
    calling different native executables. If anyone is interested in helping
    out with non-windows host systems that'd be awesome. Or even just
    testing the windows one.

    Cheers,

  2. Re: Thunderbird: Copy Attachment to Clipboard

    Bed wrote:

    > At http://www.abednarz.net/thunderbird.html you can download a new
    > Thunderbid extension 'CopyAttachmentToClipbard'. This adds a 'Copy
    > attachment to clipboard' menu option when you right click on one or more
    > attachments, allowing you to then paste the file(s) into an explorer
    > window, or any other application that supports pasting files.
    >
    > It currently only works for windows as it has to call a small native
    > executable due to the CF_HDROP clipboard data type required by explorer.
    >
    > This currently works by saving the attachment(s) to the temporary folder
    > and then calling 'win_cftcb.exe' passing the attachment names. Obviously
    > this could be expanded to support other OSes or desktop systems by
    > calling different native executables. If anyone is interested in helping
    > out with non-windows host systems that'd be awesome. Or even just
    > testing the windows one.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Hmm, I thought it already supported drag-and-drop from the attachment
    list? (At least, in 1.5.0.x - minus bug 312346 about screwing up when
    the attachment hasn't already been downloaded) That supplies a flavour
    of application/x-moz-file-promise. I think at least some of those end
    up as CF_HDROP in /widget/ somewhere. You might want to consider doing
    it that way; if it works, you wouldn't need an external app (and
    therefore cross-platform). I'm not completely certain if that will work
    though...

    Oh, I think application/x-moz-file works too for the transferable flavour.

    HTH,
    --
    Mook
    mook dot moz plus stuff at gmail dot stuff

+ Reply to Thread