RememberToSurf! - My first attempt at an extension - Mozilla

This is a discussion on RememberToSurf! - My first attempt at an extension - Mozilla ; Greetings everyone, I've just put the first release of my first extension online, and was hoping to get some feedback. All feedback is welcome, criticism is preferred in a constructive form. Currently the extension does the following: * Adds to ...

  1. RememberToSurf! - My first attempt at an extension

    Greetings everyone,

    I've just put the first release of my first extension online, and was
    hoping to get some feedback. All feedback is welcome, criticism is
    preferred in a constructive form.

    Currently the extension does the following:
    * Adds to items to the rightclick menu
    * One of them lets you add the URI of the browsers current content to
    a SQLite base
    * The other generates and directs the user to a HTML file with a list
    of the remembered pages ordered by last visit.

    I know this is just bookmarks in the current form, the plan is to
    present the rankings in a predicting way, so that sites that might
    have been forgotten are given priority.

    To read more, for download info and sourcecode please check the links
    in my blog

    http://stian.neuro.no/2007/04/27/remembertosurf-001/

    Or just go directly to the Google Code project: http://code.google.com/p/remembertosurf/

  2. Re: RememberToSurf! - My first attempt at an extension

    Stian Hole wrote:
    > Greetings everyone,
    >
    > I've just put the first release of my first extension online, and was
    > hoping to get some feedback. All feedback is welcome, criticism is
    > preferred in a constructive form.

    Hi Stian,

    This sounds like a great project to build on top of the new Places
    system, which is replacing the current bookmarks/history system for
    Firefox 3 and will let you add arbitrary "annotations" (property=value
    combinations) to any URL in the browser's history file.

    So you could have your extension's "Remember This Site" context-menu
    item add an annotation, and then "View Remembered" could query for URLs
    with those annotations and then perform its unique formatting on them.

    You can add an arbitrary number of annotations for each URL, so if you
    need to store additional information besides just the fact that the URL
    was remembered, you could use additional annotations to store that
    information.

    And Places stores its data in a SQLite database, so if your needs are
    too specialized to use annotations, you could still store your data in a
    separate SQLite database/table and then join it to the Places tables
    when querying.

    I suspect that taking advantage of Places will make it much easier to
    add your unique features into the browser, since you'll be able to take
    advantage of existing functionality for tracking URLs the user has visited.

    You can read more about Places here:

    http://wiki.mozilla.org/Places

    I note that this idea seems somewhat similar to the "bookmark inbox"
    idea on the Mozilla wiki, in which users can "star" items of interest
    and then later retrieve them:

    http://wiki.mozilla.org/Places:Bookm...rk_.22inbox.22

    I'm not sure if we're actually planning to implement this idea in
    Firefox 3, however, so it might be a ripe candidate for implementation
    in an extension like yours. cc:ing a couple Places folks who should be
    able to provide more information.

    -myk

    > Currently the extension does the following:
    > * Adds to items to the rightclick menu
    > * One of them lets you add the URI of the browsers current content to
    > a SQLite base
    > * The other generates and directs the user to a HTML file with a list
    > of the remembered pages ordered by last visit.
    >
    > I know this is just bookmarks in the current form, the plan is to
    > present the rankings in a predicting way, so that sites that might
    > have been forgotten are given priority.
    >
    > To read more, for download info and sourcecode please check the links
    > in my blog
    >
    > http://stian.neuro.no/2007/04/27/remembertosurf-001/
    >
    > Or just go directly to the Google Code project:

    http://code.google.com/p/remembertosurf/

  3. Re: RememberToSurf! - My first attempt at an extension

    On 27 Apr, 22:21, Myk Melez wrote:
    > I suspect that taking advantage of Places will make it much easier to
    > add your unique features into the browser, since you'll be able to take
    > advantage of existing functionality for tracking URLs the user has visited.

    Yeah, using Places seems like something I'll need to look into.
    Currently I store the URL, timestamp of addition, timestamp of last
    visit and amount of visits. From this the latest revision of the code
    in svn displays a table where I am trying to make a nice algorithm to
    rank the sites remembered. Not having to use my own database for this
    would be excellent, so I most definitivly will be checking out Places.

    > I note that this idea seems somewhat similar to the "bookmark inbox"
    > idea on the Mozilla wiki, in which users can "star" items of interest
    > and then later retrieve them:
    >
    > http://wiki.mozilla.org/Places:Bookm..._bookmark_.22i...

    It looks like with that idea, most of the work for my idea is covered.
    I'm taking it a little further I believe, my intensions aren't to make
    something that will replace any bookmarking feature, it's more like a
    "oh, did you forget that these are sites you like to visit"-function.

    An example scenario for when my extension could be useful:

    You have an e-mail account that you only access through webmail, and
    you rarely check it and you often forget. You could then add the url
    to the webmail to the database of this extension, and it when
    appropriate put the link at the top of the list of sites when
    calculations predict that it would be time for you to visit the site
    again. If you then use the list of remembered sites as your startpage,
    you could easily stop forgetting about websites :P

    Planned "modifiers" to the ranking are priorities and intervals, but
    more might come.

    Thank you Myk for your feedback, it was most appreciated!

    Stian

+ Reply to Thread