Difference between mozver.dat & pluginreg.dat - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Difference between mozver.dat & pluginreg.dat - Mozilla ; As far as I know, they are both used to manage plug-ins & extensions' component version registry. So, what's the difference between these two? Do they both get accessed when you invoke a plug-in from Firefox? If they do, which ...

  1. Difference between mozver.dat & pluginreg.dat

    As far as I know, they are both used to manage plug-ins & extensions'
    component version registry.

    So, what's the difference between these two?

    Do they both get accessed when you invoke a plug-in from Firefox?

    If they do, which one gets accessed first, or can anyone tell me how it
    is accessed & processed?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: Difference between mozver.dat & pluginreg.dat

    WooJin Chung wrote:
    > As far as I know, they are both used to manage plug-ins & extensions'
    > component version registry.
    >
    > So, what's the difference between these two?
    >
    > Do they both get accessed when you invoke a plug-in from Firefox?
    >
    > If they do, which one gets accessed first, or can anyone tell me how it
    > is accessed & processed?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    I believe that mozver.dat is used to store the version stuff
    (InstallTrigger.getVersion() etc.) pluginreg.dat stores the things
    navigator.plugins has - what plugins (file name, name, description, last
    checked date) are installed, and what mime types they support. Note
    that there's no version here.

    When you invoke a plugin, it looks at pluginreg.dat for sure to find the
    plugins which support a given mime type. (Actually, it does this the
    first time only, I think; it's written out at the end.) I do not know
    if it looks at mozver.dat.

    The code that touches pluginreg.dat is in nsPluginHostImpl.cpp if you're
    interested.

    (Note: this is all NPAPI plugins, and have nothing to do with extensions.)

    HTH,

    --
    Mook
    mook dot moz plus stuff at gmail plus stuff

+ Reply to Thread