Why is this happening ... "a compatibility update has been applied" - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Why is this happening ... "a compatibility update has been applied" - Mozilla ; Hi, I have an extension here: http://www.cluztr.com/download/cluztr.xpi And after I install it and run "check for updates" it says ... "a compatibility update has been applied" and it messes up install.rdf with garble tho the extension seems to work. I ...

  1. Why is this happening ... "a compatibility update has been applied"

    Hi,
    I have an extension here: http://www.cluztr.com/download/cluztr.xpi

    And after I install it and run "check for updates" it says ... "a
    compatibility update has been applied" and it messes up install.rdf
    with garble tho the extension seems to work.

    I have the latest version of FireFox.

    My extension's ID is GUID as apposed to an email address, if that
    makes a difference.

    Please help!

  2. Re: Why is this happening ... "a compatibility update has been applied"

    I solved it.

    Aparently, if you Firefox MAX and MIN supported version numbers are
    different in your install.rdf and your update.rdf - Firefox will over
    ride your extension's install.rdf and garble the xml. The extension
    will still work just it will be messed up.

    This is a wierd error. It may be a bug in FF.

  3. Re: Why is this happening ... "a compatibility update has beenapplied"

    On 23 Apr 2007 09:46:12 -0700, jon.cianciullo@gmail.com
    wrote:
    > I solved it.
    >
    > Aparently, if you Firefox MAX and MIN supported version numbers are
    > different in your install.rdf and your update.rdf - Firefox will over
    > ride your extension's install.rdf and garble the xml. The extension
    > will still work just it will be messed up.
    >
    > This is a wierd error. It may be a bug in FF.

    Sounds like it, yeah. Can you file a bug in bugzilla and attach the
    before and afters of install.rdf, as well as the update.rdf?

    Mike

  4. Re: Why is this happening ... "a compatibility update has beenapplied"

    On 4/23/07, Mike Shaver wrote:
    > On 23 Apr 2007 09:46:12 -0700, jon.cianciullo@gmail.com
    > wrote:
    > > I solved it.
    > >
    > > Aparently, if you Firefox MAX and MIN supported version numbers are
    > > different in your install.rdf and your update.rdf - Firefox will over
    > > ride your extension's install.rdf and garble the xml. The extension
    > > will still work just it will be messed up.
    > >
    > > This is a wierd error. It may be a bug in FF.

    > Sounds like it, yeah. Can you file a bug in bugzilla and attach the
    > before and afters of install.rdf, as well as the update.rdf?

    The install.rdf is indeed overwritten, but I didn't think it was
    messed up. It may look weird due to the way our RDF serializer works,
    but still be correct. Can you post your install.rdf?

    Nickolay

  5. Re: Why is this happening ... "a compatibility update has been applied"

    On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 13:36:40 -0400, Mike Shaver wrote:

    > On 23 Apr 2007 09:46:12 -0700, jon.cianciullo@gmail.com
    > wrote:
    >> I solved it.

    >> Aparently, if you Firefox MAX and MIN supported version numbers are
    >> different in your install.rdf and your update.rdf - Firefox will over
    >> ride your extension's install.rdf and garble the xml. The extension
    >> will still work just it will be messed up.

    >> This is a wierd error. It may be a bug in FF.

    > Sounds like it, yeah. Can you file a bug in bugzilla and attach the
    > before and afters of install.rdf, as well as the update.rdf?

    It's not "messed up" just not human readable (much). There are many ways
    of representing a relationship in RDF, so you can't depend on the
    serializer to use the same format when writing out the updated RDF. As
    far as I can tell, anything that uses ContainerUtils will generate
    anonymous nodes in RDF.

    Personally I just make sure that the version I'm testing locally has a
    maxver set to something really silly like 9.9.9.

    Phil
    --
    Philip Chee ,
    [ ]"I never lie when I have sand in my boots!" -- LaForge

+ Reply to Thread