Hello,

I did a req.open('POST', url, false);
The problem was that when the web server on the url was not started but
the IP address of the url was running, then firefox hanged up. This is
why I implemented a timeout function:

var requestTimer = setTimeout(function()
{
/* Handle timeout situation, e.g. Retry or inform user. */
clearTimeout(requestTimer);
req.abort();
alert(gl_connect_err_msg);
var pref_window = document.getElementById("trashmailwindow");
pref_window.acceptDialog(); /* apply changes and close
window */
window.close(); /* CLOSE IT BY FORCING IT WITH ALL FORCES!
:-) */
alert("coucou!");
},
10000);

just before I send my request with the send method of the XMLHttpRequest
object.

After clicking ok on the "coucou!" alert message, firefox hangs up
completly. I need a way to have a timeout on a POST request.

And asynchronous XMLHttpRequest request does not help because it will
not close my window after the request, but I did a
pref_window.acceptDialog(); and anyway the window closes only if I click
with the mouse manually on a window (firefox bug?).

So I would like that synchronous or asynchronous would work. But in the
synchronous version the timeout hangs up the firefox window, and in the
asynchronous mode I can not close manually the window after the request
has been done.

--
Best regards,
Max Mustermann