extension update URL override - Mozilla

This is a discussion on extension update URL override - Mozilla ; Hi all! I'm trying to override the default extension update URL by setting the "extensions.{GUID}.update.url" preference, where GUID is the unique ID of my extension, as explained here: :config_Entries#Extensions..2A" target="_blank">http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_...Extensions..2A However, it doesn't seem to work. In particular, Firefox acts ...

  1. extension update URL override

    Hi all!

    I'm trying to override the default extension update URL by setting the
    "extensions.{GUID}.update.url" preference, where GUID is the unique ID of my
    extension, as explained here:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_...Extensions..2A

    However, it doesn't seem to work. In particular, Firefox acts as if the
    preference doesn't exist at all. Am I missing something?

    Thanks,
    nikitas

  2. Re: extension update URL override

    On 1/15/07, Nikitas Liogkas wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > I'm trying to override the default extension update URL by setting the
    > "extensions.{GUID}.update.url" preference, where GUID is the unique ID of my
    > extension, as explained here:
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_...Extensions..2A
    >
    > However, it doesn't seem to work. In particular, Firefox acts as if the
    > preference doesn't exist at all. Am I missing something?

    So what is the actual preference you're setting and what value do you set it to?

    Also, are you sure there's a valid update manifest at your update URL?

    Nickolay

  3. Re: extension update URL override

    Try setting extensions.logging.enabled pref to true then and look what
    is output to the JS Console.

    Nickolay

    On 1/15/07, Nikitas Liogkas wrote:
    > I'm setting extensions.acmanager@ucla.update.url to
    > http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~nikitas/acma...acm_update.rdf, which is a
    > valid update manifest. I tried it with an updateURL field in
    > install.rdf, and it works fine, however, it doesn't work when I set
    > the preference.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > nikitas

  4. Re: extension update URL override

    On 1/21/07, Nikitas Liogkas wrote:
    > So, it seems that nsIPrefBranch2::getComplexValue() can't handle my
    > extension id (acmanager@ucla). I also tried using a GUID, with the same
    > result. The relevant (failing) code is here:
    > http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.8.0/...ger.js.in#5312
    >
    > By copy-pasting the code and trying it out outside the
    > nsIExtensionManager, it seems to work when the extension id is a plain
    > string, e.g. "acmanager".
    >
    > Any ideas on how to make it work with email-style ids?

    getComplexPref doesn't care about the format of your extension's id.
    What is aItem.id in that line?

    Note that that call obtains a "localized pref", so if you provide a
    default value for that pref (and not actually "set" it from your code)
    it has to point to the locale (/properties) file containing the update
    URL.

    Nickolay

    > Thanks,
    > nikitas
    >
    > Nickolay Ponomarev wrote:
    > > Try setting extensions.logging.enabled pref to true then and look what
    > > is output to the JS Console.
    > >
    > > Nickolay
    > >
    > > On 1/15/07, Nikitas Liogkas wrote:
    > >> I'm setting extensions.acmanager@ucla.update.url to
    > >> http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~nikitas/acma...acm_update.rdf, which is a
    > >> valid update manifest. I tried it with an updateURL field in
    > >> install.rdf, and it works fine, however, it doesn't work when I set
    > >> the preference.
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> nikitas

  5. Re: extension update URL override

    That was it! When I set it from JavaScript it worked like a charm. This
    should probably be documented somewhere.

    Thanks for all the help!

    nikitas

    Nikitas Liogkas wrote:
    > So, it seems that nsIPrefBranch2::getComplexValue() can't handle my
    > extension id (acmanager@ucla). I also tried using a GUID, with the same
    > result. The relevant (failing) code is here:
    > http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.8.0/...ger.js.in#5312
    >

    > By copy-pasting the code and trying it out outside the
    > nsIExtensionManager, it seems to work when the extension id is a plain
    > string, e.g. "acmanager".
    >
    > Any ideas on how to make it work with email-style ids?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > nikitas
    >
    > Nickolay Ponomarev wrote:
    >> Try setting extensions.logging.enabled pref to true then and look what
    >> is output to the JS Console.
    >>
    >> Nickolay
    >>
    >> On 1/15/07, Nikitas Liogkas wrote:
    >>> I'm setting extensions.acmanager@ucla.update.url to
    >>> http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~nikitas/acma...acm_update.rdf, which is a
    >>> valid update manifest. I tried it with an updateURL field in
    >>> install.rdf, and it works fine, however, it doesn't work when I set
    >>> the preference.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> nikitas

  6. Re: extension update URL override

    On 1/21/07, Nikitas Liogkas wrote:
    > That was it! When I set it from JavaScript it worked like a charm. This
    > should probably be documented somewhere.
    >
    > Thanks for all the help!

    No, you should use "localized prefs" appropriately instead:
    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...ocalizedString

    Nickolay

    > nikitas
    >
    > > getComplexPref doesn't care about the format of your extension's id.
    > > What is aItem.id in that line?
    > >
    > > Note that that call obtains a "localized pref", so if you provide a
    > > default value for that pref (and not actually "set" it from your code)
    > > it has to point to the locale (/properties) file containing the update
    > > URL.
    > >
    > > Nickolay

    > Nikitas Liogkas wrote:
    > > So, it seems that nsIPrefBranch2::getComplexValue() can't handle my
    > > extension id (acmanager@ucla). I also tried using a GUID, with the same
    > > result. The relevant (failing) code is here:
    > > http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.8.0/...ger.js.in#5312
    > >

    > > By copy-pasting the code and trying it out outside the
    > > nsIExtensionManager, it seems to work when the extension id is a plain
    > > string, e.g. "acmanager".
    > >
    > > Any ideas on how to make it work with email-style ids?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > nikitas
    > >
    > > Nickolay Ponomarev wrote:
    > >> Try setting extensions.logging.enabled pref to true then and look what
    > >> is output to the JS Console.
    > >>
    > >> Nickolay

  7. Re: extension update URL override

    Yes, I agree that would be a better ideas

    Thanks,
    nikitas

+ Reply to Thread