Tracking extension use? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Tracking extension use? - Mozilla ; I have an extension, and I'd like to see how many people are using it. Since Firefox pulls down the .xpi file, I can't just slap a hit counter on a web page. I could write some PHP which pretends ...

  1. Tracking extension use?

    I have an extension, and I'd like to see how many people are using it.

    Since Firefox pulls down the .xpi file, I can't just slap a hit counter
    on a web page. I could write some PHP which pretends to be the .xpi
    file and then spits out a redirect to it, perhaps?

    I haven't done this before, so there may be a standard way of doing it
    which I don't know about.

  2. Re: Tracking extension use?

    edward.hibbert@dataconnection.com wrote:
    > I have an extension, and I'd like to see how many people are using it.
    >

    > Since Firefox pulls down the .xpi file, I can't just slap a hit counter
    > on a web page. I could write some PHP which pretends to be the .xpi
    > file and then spits out a redirect to it, perhaps?
    >
    > I haven't done this before, so there may be a standard way of doing it
    > which I don't know about.

    Isn't Mozilla tracking how many downloads there are for each extension on the
    addons.mozilla.org site?

    Best regards,
    Tony.

  3. Re: Tracking extension use?

    Probably, but I'm not on that site (yet, anyway). I'm hosting this
    myself.

  4. Re: Tracking extension use?

    edward.hibbert@dataconnection.com schreef:
    > I have an extension, and I'd like to see how many people are using it.
    >

    > Since Firefox pulls down the .xpi file, I can't just slap a hit counter
    > on a web page. I could write some PHP which pretends to be the .xpi
    > file and then spits out a redirect to it, perhaps?
    >
    > I haven't done this before, so there may be a standard way of doing it
    > which I don't know about.

    You can write a .php file which increments a counter and then outputs
    the xpi contents. Go ask in comp.lang.php, this doesn't really fit here
    because it's the same process for any binary file, not just mozilla
    extensions.

  5. Re: Tracking extension use?

    3 different approaches:
    1) If you have access to the Web logs, the XPI downloads would be
    there. Either Apache or IIS can create detailed logs of every hit to to
    server. Using a free or commercial log analysis software would easily
    give you the number of downloads.
    2) If you use something like Google Analytics or another ASP-based web
    analytics/web reporting solution, there's usually a way to add
    javascript around the download link so it will be tracked. Google
    Analytics uses something like A HREF ...
    onClick="javascript:urchinTracker('/yourextension.xpi')"... (look on
    their site for help)
    3) If you want to track usage of your extension when it's running on a
    user's computer, you could in theory add a hidden pixel in your
    extension that would send a tidbit of log to the server of your choice.
    This is technically possible, however, it could be viewed as an
    intrusion of privacy...

    S.Hamel
    http://immeria.net

    edward.hibbert@dataconnection.com wrote:
    > I have an extension, and I'd like to see how many people are using it.
    >

    > Since Firefox pulls down the .xpi file, I can't just slap a hit counter
    > on a web page. I could write some PHP which pretends to be the .xpi
    > file and then spits out a redirect to it, perhaps?
    >
    > I haven't done this before, so there may be a standard way of doing it
    > which I don't know about.

  6. Re: Tracking extension use?

    Thanks for all the replies. I went with the route of changing the
    updateERL to point to a PHP script, which sucks out the IP addresses
    and counts unique values. That's not perfect, since people have
    dynamic addresses, but since people using the extension will hit that
    script about every 24 hours as Firefox checks for updates, it gives a
    rough idea.

+ Reply to Thread