XPIpedia - Mozilla

This is a discussion on XPIpedia - Mozilla ; After struggling with finding documentation for certain aspects of Firefox extension development (mainly bookmark access), I've decided to start a wiki for developers to document the various facets of extension development. It uses the software that runs Wikipedia; it's called ...

  1. XPIpedia

    After struggling with finding documentation for certain aspects of
    Firefox extension development (mainly bookmark access), I've decided to
    start a wiki for developers to document the various facets of extension
    development. It uses the software that runs Wikipedia; it's called
    XPIpedia (Zippy-pedia), and it's located (for now) at
    http://xpipedia.efinke.com/

    I'll be adding in all of the documentation that I've just been saving
    on my PC, and if anyone else has any useful tips or information, feel
    free to create a page and document it for everyone else.

    Thanks,

    Christopher Finke

  2. Re: XPIpedia

    Christopher Finke wrote:
    > After struggling with finding documentation for certain aspects of
    > Firefox extension development (mainly bookmark access), I've decided to
    > start a wiki for developers to document the various facets of extension
    > development. It uses the software that runs Wikipedia; it's called
    > XPIpedia (Zippy-pedia), and it's located (for now) at
    > http://xpipedia.efinke.com/
    >
    > I'll be adding in all of the documentation that I've just been saving
    > on my PC, and if anyone else has any useful tips or information, feel
    > free to create a page and document it for everyone else.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Christopher Finke

    Could I please ask you to instead contribute to existing resources, such
    as http://developer.mozilla.org/ ? Spreading relevant information across
    even more sites (see also http://kb.mozillazine.org/ and
    http://www.xulplanet.com/ ) is not going to help anyone, and I bet the
    DevMo people would be very interested in hosting your writings on their
    own wiki. Thanks a lot!

    -- Gijs

  3. Re: XPIpedia

    > Could I please ask you to instead contribute to existing resources, such
    > as http://developer.mozilla.org/ ?

    Thanks for the link; I believe I may take your advice and just
    contribute to the MDC Wiki, which for some reason had slipped my mind
    when I was setting up my own.

    Thanks,

    Chris

  4. Re: XPIpedia

    Christopher Finke wrote:
    > > Could I please ask you to instead contribute to existing resources, such
    > > as http://developer.mozilla.org/ ?

    > Thanks for the link; I believe I may take your advice and just
    > contribute to the MDC Wiki, which for some reason had slipped my mind
    > when I was setting up my own.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Chris

    but reinventing the wiki is so much more fun!

    actually, I have to say that mozilla documentation is quite scattered
    as it is so creating another repository for it would certainly just
    make things worse. It is already a nightmare to keep track of it all.
    The developer.mozilla.org wiki is really starting to pull things
    together though. One good way to help is by spreading the word about
    the existing resources. I think a lot of people manage to miss some of
    the best sites because of information overload.

+ Reply to Thread