Firefox extension development doubts.. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox extension development doubts.. - Mozilla ; Hi all, I'm trying my first firefox extension. I've already created a BHO and toolbar button backed by COM in IE. I have written few dlls ( mainly in C#) I am trying to bring in the same functionalities in ...

  1. Firefox extension development doubts..

    Hi all,

    I'm trying my first firefox extension. I've already created a BHO and
    toolbar button backed by COM in IE. I have written few dlls ( mainly in
    C#)
    I am trying to bring in the same functionalities in FF extension. I
    have read thru few sites and understood the basics about the directory
    structure, xpi, xul, and js etc.

    Now I just need few things clearer... Kindly help me on these issues...

    1. I need my extension to run in the background (like IE BHO) so as to
    trap each document complete event when web page loads... Can this be
    done in firefox or does it restrict such back ground running code? If
    possible then how ?

    2. I need to capture the web page content on tool bar button click - I
    think document object from java script should return the current web
    page document associated if I've understood it correct..

    3. I want to reuse some dlls I have written earlier (.NET dll ) to
    operate on the web page data I collect. i.e, have to call those dlls
    from javascript...
    I thought if it was ok to convert the .net dll like an activex and use
    it in javascript, would that be possible and is it the correct way than
    rewriting those dlls as javascript code again?

    4. I also want to open a windows application (exe) that I have written
    in C# throught the button click. how to do that ?

    Please help me on this as it is my very first firefox extension and I
    have a close deadline.
    Please send me any relevant links if you have any...

    Thank you very much for your time and help.
    Regards,
    Gayathri S

  2. Re: Firefox extension development doubts..

    I also wanted to add up that my extension are developed to work on
    firefox on windows system only ( with all those windows exe I have)

    Waiting for some guidance....
    Thanks,
    Gayathri

  3. Re: Firefox extension development doubts..

    I do not have a lot of expertise in this area; however, I will share a
    few ideas

    1) most of the FF code is cross - platform.

    It has some dependencies each OS system; however, for the most part,
    they are minimal

    2) I am doing a FF C++ xpcom dll, gj53run, that links to my standard
    utility dll and other third party dlls. The xpcom dll does all the
    jazz that FF requires and from that I call out to other code.

    I can not get Firefox to load these dlls during my extension install,
    however, what I do is set a path to them in the path env variable. I
    then install my extension and it works just fine.

    My utility dlls and such use things like STL and other stuff that FF
    does not support.

    If you link to either the CRT or the CPP run time, you have to make
    sure the version you compiled with is in the path as well.

    I have done a number of C++ dlls; however, when NET came around I
    stopped following Mickeysoft. I did a lot of work on an ODBC driver,
    so I am familiar with DLL issues, but not NET issues.

    I am working on making my extension cross platform and eliminating
    things that FF does not support like STL etc. I have just eliminated
    my dependency on the c run time and am exploring how to eliminate my
    dependency on the CPP run time

    gayathri.s@gmail.com wrote:
    > I also wanted to add up that my extension are developed to work on
    > firefox on windows system only ( with all those windows exe I have)
    >
    > Waiting for some guidance....
    > Thanks,
    > Gayathri

+ Reply to Thread