Is it possible? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Is it possible? - Mozilla ; Hi, Just a question to see whether it is worth for me to learn how to build extensions. So it's a simple yes/no I want to make a mozilla extension. When a user opens a webpage, the html is first ...

  1. Is it possible?

    Hi,

    Just a question to see whether it is worth for me to learn how to build
    extensions. So it's a simple yes/no

    I want to make a mozilla extension. When a user opens a webpage, the
    html is first intercepted by the extension. The page is then searched
    for a certain string. If the string is included in the page, the browser
    is redirected to another page. If not, the original page is shown.

    Is this possible?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Is it possible?

    On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, bla wrote:
    > Just a question to see whether it is worth for me to learn how to build
    > extensions. So it's a simple yes/no
    >
    > I want to make a mozilla extension. When a user opens a webpage, the html is
    > first intercepted by the extension. The page is then searched for a certain
    > string. If the string is included in the page, the browser is redirected to
    > another page. If not, the original page is shown.
    >
    > Is this possible?

    Yes. http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/

  3. Re: Is it possible?

    On 3/29/06, Scott Lanning wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, bla wrote:
    > > Just a question to see whether it is worth for me to learn how to build
    > > extensions. So it's a simple yes/no
    > >
    > > I want to make a mozilla extension. When a user opens a webpage, the html is
    > > first intercepted by the extension. The page is then searched for a certain
    > > string. If the string is included in the page, the browser is redirected to
    > > another page. If not, the original page is shown.
    > >
    > > Is this possible?

    > Yes. http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/

    It doesn't intercept the load requests, it runs user script after the
    page finished loading.

    I believe that it is possible to do the thing original poster asked
    about, but it's not trivial to do (that's why there still isn't a
    content-filtering extension with functionality like Proxomitron).

    Also, do you want to break the incremental loading of pages? Or do you
    want the pages to display incrementally until the string you're
    looking for is found, then redirect?

    Nickolay

  4. Re: Is it possible?

    > Also, do you want to break the incremental loading of pages? Or do you
    > want the pages to display incrementally until the string you're
    > looking for is found, then redirect?

    The string I look for should be placed in the beginning of the HTML. So
    the incremental loading isn't relevant. The redirection should be done
    immediately.

  5. Re: Is it possible?

    On 3/30/06, bla wrote:
    > > Also, do you want to break the incremental loading of pages? Or do you
    > > want the pages to display incrementally until the string you're
    > > looking for is found, then redirect?
    > >

    > The string I look for should be placed in the beginning of the HTML. So
    > the incremental loading isn't relevant. The redirection should be done
    > immediately.

    Hm, I wonder if (ab)using content sniffers (1.8.1/2.0-only) is too
    evil. It probably is.

    http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/sou...entSniffer.idl
    http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/sou...ent_sniffer.js

    Nickolay