trouble copying profile from old computer, profile not recognized - Mozilla

This is a discussion on trouble copying profile from old computer, profile not recognized - Mozilla ; I have a new XP laptop. I am trying to install seamonkey and have it start up with the profile copied from my old XP laptop. On my old laptop the seamonkey is 1.1.2 and the profile is in C:\Documents ...

  1. trouble copying profile from old computer, profile not recognized

    I have a new XP laptop. I am trying to install seamonkey and have it
    start up with the profile copied from my old XP laptop.

    On my old laptop the seamonkey is 1.1.2 and the profile is in

    C:\Documents and Settings\pwalden\Application Data\mozilla\profiles\default

    When I install seamonkey 1.1.9 on the new laptop, it tries to create a
    profile in

    C:\Documents and Settings\pwalden\Local Data\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default

    When I try to copy my old profile into this new profile area and install
    seamonkey, I get the following error:

    "Seamonkey cannot use the profile "default" because the directory
    containing the profile cannot be found."

    If I try to get profile manager to create default, it says it already
    exists.

    I'd really like to transfer over my complete profile. Lots of mail and
    newsgroups, nbookmarks, etc are in it.

  2. Re: trouble copying profile from old computer, profile not recognized

    Philip wrote:
    > I have a new XP laptop. I am trying to install seamonkey and have it
    > start up with the profile copied from my old XP laptop.
    >
    > On my old laptop the seamonkey is 1.1.2 and the profile is in
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\pwalden\Application Data\mozilla\profiles\default
    >
    > When I install seamonkey 1.1.9 on the new laptop, it tries to create a
    > profile in
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\pwalden\Local Data\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default
    >
    > When I try to copy my old profile into this new profile area and install
    > seamonkey, I get the following error:
    >
    > "Seamonkey cannot use the profile "default" because the directory
    > containing the profile cannot be found."
    >
    > If I try to get profile manager to create default, it says it already
    > exists.
    >
    > I'd really like to transfer over my complete profile. Lots of mail and
    > newsgroups, nbookmarks, etc are in it.

    thats correct because the files within the new location are
    still pointing to the old location, and there's no profile
    there.

    Here are a couple of links you can read about:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_..._a_new_profile
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

    if you still need help, then come back here and we'll help
    you more.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: trouble copying profile from old computer, profile not recognized

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Philip wrote:
    >> I have a new XP laptop. I am trying to install seamonkey and have it
    >> start up with the profile copied from my old XP laptop.
    >>
    >> On my old laptop the seamonkey is 1.1.2 and the profile is in
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\pwalden\Application
    >> Data\mozilla\profiles\default
    >>
    >> When I install seamonkey 1.1.9 on the new laptop, it tries to create a
    >> profile in
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\pwalden\Local Data\Application
    >> Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default
    >>
    >> When I try to copy my old profile into this new profile area and install
    >> seamonkey, I get the following error:
    >>
    >> "Seamonkey cannot use the profile "default" because the directory
    >> containing the profile cannot be found."
    >>
    >> If I try to get profile manager to create default, it says it already
    >> exists.
    >>
    >> I'd really like to transfer over my complete profile. Lots of mail and
    >> newsgroups, nbookmarks, etc are in it.

    > thats correct because the files within the new location are still
    > pointing to the old location, and there's no profile there.
    >
    > Here are a couple of links you can read about:
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_..._a_new_profile
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder
    >
    > if you still need help, then come back here and we'll help you more.

    Thanks.

    I ended up letting it install and create a new default user. I then
    copied the guts of the old profile salt directory into the salt
    directory of the new default profile.

    Anyway I am back up a running.

+ Reply to Thread