embedded mp3 plugin - Mozilla

This is a discussion on embedded mp3 plugin - Mozilla ; What is the required plugin for SeaMonkey to play the embedded mp3 on this page? (I know it's an embedded mp3 file because I later opened it in IE)...

  1. embedded mp3 plugin

    What is the required plugin for SeaMonkey to play the embedded mp3 on this
    page? (I know it's an embedded mp3 file because I later opened it in IE)

  2. Re: embedded mp3 plugin

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > What is the required plugin for SeaMonkey to play the embedded mp3 on this
    > page? (I know it's an embedded mp3 file because I later opened it in IE)

    1. what page?

    2. what does IE use? Then it should be the same for SM.

    I use QuickTime.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: embedded mp3 plugin

    Wow, that was dumb:
    http://blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitics...aide-we-c.html
    IE uses (for W2K) WMP9

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >> What is the required plugin for SeaMonkey to play the embedded mp3
    >> on this page? (I know it's an embedded mp3 file because I later
    >> opened it in IE)

    > 1. what page?
    >
    > 2. what does IE use? Then it should be the same for SM.
    >
    > I use QuickTime.

  4. Re: embedded mp3 plugin

    /Roger Fink/ said:
    > What is the required plugin for SeaMonkey to play the embedded mp3 on this
    > page? (I know it's an embedded mp3 file because I later opened it in IE)

    The QuickTime plug in handles it nicely in both SM and FF here.

  5. Re: embedded mp3 plugin

    I've got WMP, RP & QT Alternative installed on this machine. They can all
    play mp3's of course, and WMP and RP do play embedded movies on this
    machine. Is the plugin for mp3 different?

    Here's what's in the plugins folder:
    NP32DSW.dll
    NPNUL32.dll
    NPPL3260.dll
    ShockwavePlugin.class

    About plugins says that Npdsplay dll, a WMP plugin, is installed. I searched
    the machine to find it but could find nothing, so I just downloaded it from
    the internet and installed it, closed down and reopened, but still nothing.

    hb wrote:
    > /Roger Fink/ said:
    >> What is the required plugin for SeaMonkey to play the embedded mp3
    >> on this page? (I know it's an embedded mp3 file because I later
    >> opened it in IE)
    >>

    > The QuickTime plug in handles it nicely in both SM and FF here.

  6. Re: embedded mp3 plugin

    /Roger Fink/ said:

    > hb wrote:
    >> /Roger Fink/ said:
    >>> What is the required plugin for SeaMonkey to play the embedded mp3
    >>> on this page? (I know it's an embedded mp3 file because I later
    >>> opened it in IE)
    >>>

    >> The QuickTime plug in handles it nicely in both SM and FF here.

    > I've got WMP, RP & QT Alternative installed on this machine. They can all
    > play mp3's of course, and WMP and RP do play embedded movies on this
    > machine. Is the plugin for mp3 different?
    >
    > Here's what's in the plugins folder:
    > NP32DSW.dll
    > NPNUL32.dll
    > NPPL3260.dll
    > ShockwavePlugin.class
    >
    > About plugins says that Npdsplay dll, a WMP plugin, is installed. I

    searched
    > the machine to find it but could find nothing, so I just downloaded it

    from
    > the internet and installed it, closed down and reopened, but still

    nothing.

    QT 7.3.1 plugin is invoked. Various QT plugins configured in SM -
    incrementally numbered.
    Check Quicktime's BROWSER|MIME TYPE configuration for types that are
    enabled on your machine.

    The link does not play automatically here, but must be clicked.

  7. Re: embedded mp3 plugin

    hb wrote:
    > /Roger Fink/ said:
    >> hb wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> The QuickTime plug in handles it nicely in both SM and FF here.

    >> I've got WMP, RP & QT Alternative installed on this machine. They can all
    >> play mp3's of course, and WMP and RP do play embedded movies on this
    >> machine. Is the plugin for mp3 different?
    >>
    >> Here's what's in the plugins folder:
    >> NP32DSW.dll
    >> NPNUL32.dll
    >> NPPL3260.dll
    >> ShockwavePlugin.class
    >>
    >> About plugins says that Npdsplay dll, a WMP plugin, is installed. I

    > searched
    >> the machine to find it but could find nothing, so I just downloaded it

    > from
    >> the internet and installed it, closed down and reopened, but still

    > nothing.
    >
    > QT 7.3.1 plugin is invoked. Various QT plugins configured in SM -
    > incrementally numbered.
    > Check Quicktime's BROWSER|MIME TYPE configuration for types that are
    > enabled on your machine.
    >
    > The link does not play automatically here, but must be clicked.

    I have to agree with hb on this. I have QT installed, and
    the QT plugin is invoked, but I still have to click on it to
    play it.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: embedded mp3 plugin

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >> I've got WMP, RP & QT Alternative installed on this machine. They
    >> can all play mp3's of course, and WMP and RP do play embedded movies
    >> on this machine. Is the plugin for mp3 different?
    >>
    >> Here's what's in the plugins folder:
    >> NP32DSW.dll
    >> NPNUL32.dll
    >> NPPL3260.dll
    >> ShockwavePlugin.class
    >>
    >> About plugins says that Npdsplay dll, a WMP plugin, is installed. I
    >> searched the machine to find it but could find nothing, so I just
    >> downloaded it from the internet and installed it, closed down and
    >> reopened, but still nothing.

    > QT Alternative should play it. Don't look in the SM plugin
    > folder. Instead, in the address bar type in about:config
    > and look for this entry:
    >
    > plugin.expose_full_path
    >
    > when you find it, double click on it and change it to true.
    > Now, close that tab, and type in aboutlugins and this
    > will tell you all the plugins you have. The entry above
    > will now give you the location of those plugins.
    >
    > Do a search there and look for mp3 and see what program
    > plays it. Either QT Alternative or WMP should. If you find
    > nothing, then report back and we'll tell you what to do next.

    Nothing.

  9. Re: embedded mp3 plugin

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Roger Fink wrote:
    >>> I've got WMP, RP & QT Alternative installed on this machine. They
    >>> can all play mp3's of course, and WMP and RP do play embedded movies
    >>> on this machine. Is the plugin for mp3 different?
    >>>
    >>> Here's what's in the plugins folder:
    >>> NP32DSW.dll
    >>> NPNUL32.dll
    >>> NPPL3260.dll
    >>> ShockwavePlugin.class
    >>>
    >>> About plugins says that Npdsplay dll, a WMP plugin, is installed. I
    >>> searched the machine to find it but could find nothing, so I just
    >>> downloaded it from the internet and installed it, closed down and
    >>> reopened, but still nothing.

    >> QT Alternative should play it. Don't look in the SM plugin
    >> folder. Instead, in the address bar type in about:config
    >> and look for this entry:
    >>
    >> plugin.expose_full_path
    >>
    >> when you find it, double click on it and change it to true.
    >> Now, close that tab, and type in aboutlugins and this
    >> will tell you all the plugins you have. The entry above
    >> will now give you the location of those plugins.
    >>
    >> Do a search there and look for mp3 and see what program
    >> plays it. Either QT Alternative or WMP should. If you find
    >> nothing, then report back and we'll tell you what to do next.

    > Nothing.

    OK, then open up either WMP or QT Alternative. I don't know
    about QT Alt, but in WMP, you need to go into Tools,
    Options, then File Types, and make sure that mp3 is checked.
    If you use QT Alt, then look for something similar. If you
    were using the original QuickTime, then you'd also have to
    make the change in File Types, and under Mime Types for
    browser. Make sure you do these changes with SM closed.
    When you made the change, reopen SM and check the
    aboutlugins and see mp3 is now listed.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  10. Re: embedded mp3 plugin

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> QT Alternative should play it. Don't look in the SM plugin
    >>> folder. Instead, in the address bar type in about:config
    >>> and look for this entry:
    >>>
    >>> plugin.expose_full_path
    >>>
    >>> when you find it, double click on it and change it to true.
    >>> Now, close that tab, and type in aboutlugins and this
    >>> will tell you all the plugins you have. The entry above
    >>> will now give you the location of those plugins.
    >>>
    >>> Do a search there and look for mp3 and see what program
    >>> plays it. Either QT Alternative or WMP should. If you find
    >>> nothing, then report back and we'll tell you what to do next.

    >> Nothing.
    >>

    > OK, then open up either WMP or QT Alternative. I don't know
    > about QT Alt, but in WMP, you need to go into Tools,
    > Options, then File Types, and make sure that mp3 is checked.
    > If you use QT Alt, then look for something similar. If you
    > were using the original QuickTime, then you'd also have to
    > make the change in File Types, and under Mime Types for
    > browser. Make sure you do these changes with SM closed.
    > When you made the change, reopen SM and check the
    > aboutlugins and see mp3 is now listed.

    Nothing listed in about plugins using "mp3" search, after enabling one at a
    time, each of the three possibilities for associating with mp3. Frankly, I
    think the installation is a little old and tired. Until I recently corrected
    it, the plugins folder didn't even have the WMP plugin, and in a separate
    issue, I got a message that I had to install flashplayer 8 because
    flashplayer 7 couldn't play a file - this even though I have flashplayer 9
    installed. Not blaming the program - it's an old installation and like
    Windows itself, it tends to get buggy over time and secretly benefits from a
    new, clean installion. In any case, I'll either put up wiith it until SM 2.0
    hits the shelves, or install Firefox, like I did on my laptop.

  11. Re: embedded mp3 plugin

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Roger Fink wrote:

    >>> Nothing.
    >>>

    >> OK, then open up either WMP or QT Alternative. I don't know
    >> about QT Alt, but in WMP, you need to go into Tools,
    >> Options, then File Types, and make sure that mp3 is checked.
    >> If you use QT Alt, then look for something similar. If you
    >> were using the original QuickTime, then you'd also have to
    >> make the change in File Types, and under Mime Types for
    >> browser. Make sure you do these changes with SM closed.
    >> When you made the change, reopen SM and check the
    >> aboutlugins and see mp3 is now listed.

    > Nothing listed in about plugins using "mp3" search, after enabling one at a
    > time, each of the three possibilities for associating with mp3. Frankly, I
    > think the installation is a little old and tired. Until I recently corrected
    > it, the plugins folder didn't even have the WMP plugin, and in a separate
    > issue, I got a message that I had to install flashplayer 8 because
    > flashplayer 7 couldn't play a file - this even though I have flashplayer 9
    > installed. Not blaming the program - it's an old installation and like
    > Windows itself, it tends to get buggy over time and secretly benefits from a
    > new, clean installion. In any case, I'll either put up wiith it until SM 2.0
    > hits the shelves, or install Firefox, like I did on my laptop.

    as hb and I have said, try Quicktime.

    You keep saying old windows. If you're using anything older
    than win2000, then you won't be able to use SM 2. You're
    SOL on that.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  12. Re: embedded mp3 plugin

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> OK, then open up either WMP or QT Alternative. I don't know
    >>> about QT Alt, but in WMP, you need to go into Tools,
    >>> Options, then File Types, and make sure that mp3 is checked.
    >>> If you use QT Alt, then look for something similar. If you
    >>> were using the original QuickTime, then you'd also have to
    >>> make the change in File Types, and under Mime Types for
    >>> browser. Make sure you do these changes with SM closed.
    >>> When you made the change, reopen SM and check the
    >>> aboutlugins and see mp3 is now listed.

    >> Nothing listed in about plugins using "mp3" search, after enabling
    >> one at a time, each of the three possibilities for associating with
    >> mp3. Frankly, I think the installation is a little old and tired.
    >> Until I recently corrected it, the plugins folder didn't even have
    >> the WMP plugin, and in a separate issue, I got a message that I had
    >> to install flashplayer 8 because flashplayer 7 couldn't play a file
    >> - this even though I have flashplayer 9 installed. Not blaming the
    >> program - it's an old installation and like Windows itself, it tends
    >> to get buggy over time and secretly benefits from a new, clean
    >> installion. In any case, I'll either put up wiith it until SM 2.0
    >> hits the shelves, or install Firefox, like I did on my laptop.

    > as hb and I have said, try Quicktime.
    >
    > You keep saying old windows. If you're using anything older
    > than win2000, then you won't be able to use SM 2. You're
    > SOL on that.

    I mentioned the OS and I'll be fine on that. I'm making a general point, and
    it's not about the age of the OS or the version of SM, it's how long either
    has been installed. I'm having other problems with SeaMonkey as well, with
    one or more of the few extensions I have installed acting alone or in
    combination causing bugginess with certain browser operations - enabling
    pop-ups and managing cookies, for instance. Ascribing the trouble to the
    browser vs. the extensions may be useful in diagnosing a problem, but is
    otherwise a meaningless debate. One is given the option of creating his own
    overall package and implicit in having that choice is that the package will
    function relatively trouble-free. Overall I've been happy with it (after
    all, I'm still using it), but my subjective impression as a non-professional
    user is that as FF has increased what it can do well, 1.5 has been pushed
    about as far as it can go (farther, actually) in an effort to keep up. I'm
    hoping and expecting 2.0 will be making big strides in that department and
    will be eager to try it out.

  13. Re: embedded mp3 plugin

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > I'm making a general point, and
    > it's not about the age of the OS or the version of SM, it's how long either
    > has been installed. I'm having other problems with SeaMonkey as well, with
    > one or more of the few extensions I have installed acting alone or in
    > combination causing bugginess with certain browser operations - enabling
    > pop-ups and managing cookies, for instance. Ascribing the trouble to the
    > browser vs. the extensions may be useful in diagnosing a problem, but is
    > otherwise a meaningless debate.

    you see, thats the problem. People like you seem to have
    problems with SM, and people like me don't have those
    problems. I have 16 extensions and one theme, and 17
    plugins, and I just don't have such problems like you or
    others keep experiencing. As far as I'm concerned, SM 1.1.9,
    or any versions prior to that, work just great.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  14. Re: embedded mp3 plugin

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >> I'm making a general point, and
    >> it's not about the age of the OS or the version of SM, it's how long
    >> either has been installed. I'm having other problems with SeaMonkey
    >> as well, with one or more of the few extensions I have installed
    >> acting alone or in combination causing bugginess with certain
    >> browser operations - enabling pop-ups and managing cookies, for
    >> instance. Ascribing the trouble to the browser vs. the extensions
    >> may be useful in diagnosing a problem, but is otherwise a
    >> meaningless debate.

    > you see, thats the problem. People like you seem to have
    > problems with SM, and people like me don't have those
    > problems. I have 16 extensions and one theme, and 17
    > plugins, and I just don't have such problems like you or
    > others keep experiencing. As far as I'm concerned, SM 1.1.9,
    > or any versions prior to that, work just great.

    Ahh, Peter P....
    "You have a problem. I don't have a problem. Therefore there is no problem".
    What a perfect match to your task on this board.
    Amateur hour.

+ Reply to Thread