Dumb generic question about reply messages... - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Dumb generic question about reply messages... - Mozilla ; Someone has asked a group of people on a mail list to check *our replies*... to HER messages... to be sure we are not sending mail to someone she has bcc'd on her original message... who doesn't want our mail. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

  1. Dumb generic question about reply messages...

    Someone has asked a group of people on a mail list to check *our replies*...
    to HER messages... to be sure we are not sending mail to someone she has bcc'd
    on her original message... who doesn't want our mail.

    Aside from the *easy* solution, which I am going to suggest to her, I don't
    think I've ever seen an address added to my reply addresses, from someone
    else's blind copy original. Does that happen with SM, or any mail reader?
    bj

  2. Re: Dumb generic question about reply messages...

    chicagofan wrote:
    > Someone has asked a group of people on a mail list to check *our replies*...
    > to HER messages... to be sure we are not sending mail to someone she has bcc'd
    > on her original message... who doesn't want our mail.
    >
    > Aside from the *easy* solution, which I am going to suggest to her, I don't
    > think I've ever seen an address added to my reply addresses, from someone
    > else's blind copy original. Does that happen with SM, or any mail reader?
    > bj

    no. If its bcc, then you don't know who the blind versions
    went to. Therefore, there'd be no addresses to add.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: Dumb generic question about reply messages...

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > chicagofan wrote:
    >> Someone has asked a group of people on a mail list to check *our
    >> replies*...
    >> to HER messages... to be sure we are not sending mail to someone she
    >> has bcc'd
    >> on her original message... who doesn't want our mail.
    >>
    >> Aside from the *easy* solution, which I am going to suggest to her, I
    >> don't
    >> think I've ever seen an address added to my reply addresses, from someone
    >> else's blind copy original. Does that happen with SM, or any mail
    >> reader?
    >> bj

    > no. If its bcc, then you don't know who the blind versions went to.
    > Therefore, there'd be no addresses to add.

    Peter, if I have a message with a dozen To: addressees and you as a
    BCC:, does the package that the other recipients receive have any
    indication that there was originally a BCC: attached to the package as
    well??

    Does that make sense??

    Daniel

  4. Re: Dumb generic question about reply messages...

    On 05.05.2008 23:37, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >> Someone has asked a group of people on a mail list to check *our replies*...
    >> to HER messages... to be sure we are not sending mail to someone she has bcc'd
    >> on her original message... who doesn't want our mail.
    >>
    >> Aside from the *easy* solution, which I am going to suggest to her, I don't
    >> think I've ever seen an address added to my reply addresses, from someone
    >> else's blind copy original. Does that happen with SM, or any mail reader?
    >> bj

    > no. If its bcc, then you don't know who the blind versions
    > went to. Therefore, there'd be no addresses to add.

    If you suspect a Bcc list then in the rec'd message click on "Reply to
    All" and the bcc's will show up as cc's. :-)

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  5. Re: Dumb generic question about reply messages...

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 05.05.2008 23:37, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    So, if I reply to that message "Reply All" as you would on a list [without
    looking at the original's address list]... I *will* be replying... to any and
    everyone she bcc's? I didn't think that would happen.
    bj

  6. Re: Dumb generic question about reply messages...

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 05.05.2008 23:37, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    thats wrong. If you received a message with several BCC,
    then those BCC remains blind regardless of the Reply All or not.

    If someone sends you a message with one address in the TO:
    and 5 BCC's, and you're one of the BCC's then you don't see
    who the others are [nobody does]. However, if you should
    reply to that message, then the person in the TO: becomes a
    CC and the original sender becomes a TO, but there's no body
    else in the BCC.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  7. Re: Dumb generic question about reply messages...

    Daniel wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> chicagofan wrote:
    >>> Someone has asked a group of people on a mail list to check *our
    >>> replies*...
    >>> to HER messages... to be sure we are not sending mail to someone she
    >>> has bcc'd
    >>> on her original message... who doesn't want our mail.
    >>>
    >>> Aside from the *easy* solution, which I am going to suggest to her, I
    >>> don't
    >>> think I've ever seen an address added to my reply addresses, from someone
    >>> else's blind copy original. Does that happen with SM, or any mail
    >>> reader?
    >>> bj

    >> no. If its bcc, then you don't know who the blind versions went to.
    >> Therefore, there'd be no addresses to add.
    >>

    > Peter, if I have a message with a dozen To: addressees and you as a
    > BCC:, does the package that the other recipients receive have any
    > indication that there was originally a BCC: attached to the package as
    > well??
    >
    > Does that make sense??
    >
    > Daniel

    No, and yes it does make sense.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: Dumb generic question about reply messages...

    chicagofan wrote:
    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >> On 05.05.2008 23:37, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    no it wouldn't.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  9. Re: Dumb generic question about reply messages...

    On approximately 5/5/2008 9:17 PM, came the following characters from
    the keyboard of chicagofan:
    > Someone has asked a group of people on a mail list to check *our
    > replies*...
    > to HER messages... to be sure we are not sending mail to someone she has
    > bcc'd
    > on her original message... who doesn't want our mail.
    >
    > Aside from the *easy* solution, which I am going to suggest to her, I don't
    > think I've ever seen an address added to my reply addresses, from someone
    > else's blind copy original. Does that happen with SM, or any mail reader?
    > bj

    There are a few mail systems that do (stupidly) preserve Bcc: headers in
    emails; usually only to people that are subscribers to the same system.

    Further, if you look in your own Sent box, you will see Bcc: for your
    own outgoing messages.

    Either of these could cause confusion for the original sender... but if
    she is that confused, maybe she doesn't know the difference between Cc:
    and Bcc:, either.

    --
    Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/
    ===========================

  10. Re: Dumb generic question about reply messages...

    On 06.05.2008 09:52, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> On 05.05.2008 23:37, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    It does in TB 2.0.0.14 here as tested and confirmed.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  11. Re: Dumb generic question about reply messages...

    On 06.05.2008 09:51, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >> On 05.05.2008 23:37, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    I tested AND confirmed this in TB 2.0.0.14. What are the results of your
    testing?

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  12. Re: Dumb generic question about reply messages...

    On 05/06/08 11:22, Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 06.05.2008 09:52, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    Are you saying that when you receive a message in TB which was sent including
    blind carbon copy recipients, that you (one of the recipient of the message)
    can see those BCC addresses?!?

    If so, something is seriously broken somewhere...

    Those are supposed to be stripped by the mail delivery agent when delivering
    the e-mail to the recipient.

  13. Re: Dumb generic question about reply messages...

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 06.05.2008 09:51, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    how many BCCs are you sending to. Should be more than one.

    Here's my test:

    Sender: A
    TO: B
    BCC: C
    BCC: D
    BCC: E
    BCC: F

    B does not get to see who receivers C, D, E, and F are.
    If receiver D Replies All, then the TO: will be A, and the
    CC will be to B, because those are the only ones revealed.
    Nobody else will receive that reply. Therefore, D has
    exposed himself to B.

    Correctly, D should have removed B from the CC and that way
    only A will know.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  14. Re: Dumb generic question about reply messages...

    Glenn wrote:
    > On approximately 5/5/2008 9:17 PM, came the following characters from the
    > keyboard of chicagofan:
    >> Someone has asked a group of people on a mail list to check *our
    >> replies*... to HER messages... to be sure we are not sending mail to
    >> someone she has bcc'd on her original message... who doesn't want our
    >> mail.
    >>
    >> Aside from the *easy* solution, which I am going to suggest to her, I
    >> don't think I've ever seen an address added to my reply addresses, from
    >> someone else's blind copy original. Does that happen with SM, or any
    >> mail reader? bj

    > There are a few mail systems that do (stupidly) preserve Bcc: headers in
    > emails; usually only to people that are subscribers to the same system.
    >
    > Further, if you look in your own Sent box, you will see Bcc: for your own
    > outgoing messages.
    >
    > Either of these could cause confusion for the original sender... but if she
    > is that confused, maybe she doesn't know the difference between Cc: and
    > Bcc:, either.

    She says the friend [which she bcc'd] is complaining about receiving the mail
    list replies... from people who were *copied* on the original message. The
    initiator is using Apple mail, I don't know about the complainant, and only
    one other person on the *copied* list, is also using Apple mail.

    I'm using SM and the other person is using AOL mail. Before I tell her the
    simple thing to do is to stop Bcc'ing this person... on mail to others she
    doesn't want to correspond with, and make her mad, I'd like to know, I'm safe
    telling her I am not sending her friend any mail.
    bj

  15. Re: Dumb generic question about reply messages...

    On 06.05.2008 13:49, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >> On 06.05.2008 09:51, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    Exactly 12 and from 3 different domains. They all show in the cc. Not
    doing anything special here, just doing what TB does by default. No
    extensions either.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  16. Re: Dumb generic question about reply messages...

    On 06.05.2008 13:44, Mark Hansen wrote:

    >> On 06.05.2008 09:52, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    If I do "Reply ALL" they appear as CC's.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  17. Re: Dumb generic question about reply messages...

    On 06.05.2008 13:44, Mark Hansen wrote:

    > Those are supposed to be stripped by the mail delivery agent when delivering
    > the e-mail to the recipient.

    More thoughts ..... Running many different domains but on the same
    server using the same sendmail, smtp, etc. Possible cross
    contamination?? Dunno, can't test completely 100% sterile.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  18. Re: Dumb generic question about reply messages...