Memory "leak"? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Memory "leak"? - Mozilla ; I'm not a developer, just an intermediate user using 1.1.9 on an AMD XP 1.4 Shuttle AK31 mainboard with 512 megs RAM. But I've noticed Seamonkey eating up anywhere from 140-170 megs of my RAM. What the...? I Googled and ...

  1. Memory "leak"?

    I'm not a developer, just an intermediate user using 1.1.9 on an AMD XP
    1.4 Shuttle AK31 mainboard with 512 megs RAM.

    But I've noticed Seamonkey eating up anywhere from 140-170 megs of my RAM.

    What the...?

    I Googled and found some mention of "memory leaks" with Seamonkey.

    How can I stop that?

  2. Re: Memory "leak"?

    Sarah Houston wrote:
    > I'm not a developer, just an intermediate user using 1.1.9 on an AMD XP
    > 1.4 Shuttle AK31 mainboard with 512 megs RAM.
    >
    > But I've noticed Seamonkey eating up anywhere from 140-170 megs of my RAM.
    >
    > What the...?
    >
    > I Googled and found some mention of "memory leaks" with Seamonkey.
    >
    > How can I stop that?

    what extensions are you using? Are you visiting sites that
    are heavily into java applets, or perhaps with lots of
    flash? If so, then this might be your problems.

    Try this as a test: close SM. Then click on the windows
    start button, then run, and enter:

    seamonkey.exe -p

    this will bring up the SM profile manager. Create a test
    profile. Does the problem continue?

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: Memory "leak"?

    Ant wrote:
    > On 5/2/2008 10:33 PM PT, Sarah Houston typed:
    >
    >> I'm not a developer, just an intermediate user using 1.1.9 on an AMD
    >> XP 1.4 Shuttle AK31 mainboard with 512 megs RAM.
    >>
    >> But I've noticed Seamonkey eating up anywhere from 140-170 megs of my
    >> RAM.
    >>
    >> What the...?
    >>
    >> I Googled and found some mention of "memory leaks" with Seamonkey.
    >>
    >> How can I stop that?

    > Yes, this also happens in Firefox. Extensions, multiple tabs, complex
    > Web sites, etc. can cause this leak. I have seen mine go over 300 MB.

    Well, it's probably not one leak, but several extension and platform
    leaks or memory fragmentation, etc. summing up.

    Thing should improve significantly with Firefox 3 and SeaMonkey 2 - of
    course, only extension authors can fix a number of leaks in their
    extensions, but we even have intelligence in the new code to detect some
    sceanrios that may have caused such leaks with SeaMonkey 1.x or Firefox
    2 so that we can clean up for them (cycle collection, for those who know
    what it is). And we have worked hard on reducing our own leaks as well
    as memory fragmentation.

    I just hope we can present you a first alpha of this SeaMonkey 2 soon -
    we are nearing it but still have some roadblockers for it to solve.

    Robert Kaiser

  4. Re: Memory "leak"?

    Arghh.

    I had 10,000 days of history put in there, not realizing how much memory
    it would eventually eat.

  5. Re: Memory "leak"?

    On 5/3/2008 11:21 AM PT, Sarah Houston typed:

    > Arghh.
    >
    > I had 10,000 days of history put in there, not realizing how much memory
    > it would eventually eat.

    Really? How much memory was it with 10K days? I have set my history to
    eight days. Even three days still hog a lot.
    --
    "Everything tastes better at a picnic... the ants, the sand,
    everything." --unknown
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  6. Re: Memory "leak"?

    Ant wrote :

    > On 5/3/2008 11:21 AM PT, Sarah Houston typed:
    >
    >> Arghh.
    >>
    >> I had 10,000 days of history put in there, not realizing how much
    >> memory it would eventually eat.

    > Really? How much memory was it with 10K days? I have set my history
    > to eight days. Even three days still hog a lot.

    It was using anywhere from 140-180 megs.

  7. Re: Memory "leak"?

    Sarah Houston wrote:
    > Arghh.
    >
    > I had 10,000 days of history put in there, not realizing how much memory
    > it would eventually eat.

    I know no one is going to read this... but what the heck!!

    10,000 days. WOW

  8. Re: Memory "leak"?

    Sarah Houston wrote:
    > Arghh.
    >
    > I had 10,000 days of history put in there, not realizing how much memory
    > it would eventually eat.

    This should actually work much better once we switch to the new history
    backend ("places"), where not everything will be kept in memory, but
    only retrieved from the database as need. This is on the list of things
    that I'd like to see in SeaMonkey 2, but it's not sure if we'll get it -
    mainly depends on someone to work on it.

    Robert Kaiser

  9. Re: Memory "leak"?

    John Smith wrote:
    > Sarah Houston wrote:
    >> Arghh.
    >>
    >> I had 10,000 days of history put in there, not realizing how much memory
    >> it would eventually eat.

    > I know no one is going to read this... but what the heck!!
    >
    > 10,000 days. WOW

    I highly doubt that considering SeaMonkey, and Mozilla
    Suite, and Netscape before that, hasn't been around for 27
    some odd years.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  10. Re: Memory "leak"?

    On 5/3/2008 4:58 PM PT, Sarah Houston typed:

    >>> I had 10,000 days of history put in there, not realizing how much
    >>> memory it would eventually eat.

    >> Really? How much memory was it with 10K days? I have set my history
    >> to eight days. Even three days still hog a lot.

    > It was using anywhere from 140-180 megs.

    That's not bad. So how many days did you lower to and how much memory?
    --
    "It's them!... Not THEM, the giant ants?!" --Girl and Crow
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  11. Re: Memory "leak"?

    On 5/4/2008 5:10 AM PT, John Smith typed:

    > Sarah Houston wrote:
    >> Arghh.
    >>
    >> I had 10,000 days of history put in there, not realizing how much
    >> memory it would eventually eat.

    > I know no one is going to read this... but what the heck!!
    >
    > 10,000 days. WOW

    That's 23 years. We won't be using SeaMonkey by then. Beside history
    file can get corrupted, recreated, and stuff. I don't know what to know
    big the file would be after 10,000 days!!
    --
    "It's them!... Not THEM, the giant ants?!" --Girl and Crow
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  12. Re: Memory "leak"?

    Ant wrote :

    > On 5/3/2008 4:58 PM PT, Sarah Houston typed:

    >>> Really? How much memory was it with 10K days? I have set my history
    >>> to eight days. Even three days still hog a lot.

    >> It was using anywhere from 140-180 megs.

    > That's not bad. So how many days did you lower to and how much memory?

    I actually needed more RAM. I only had 512K.

    I upgraded to 1.5GB and everything's fine now.

    Of course I cut the days to a mere year now, I figure that should do it.

  13. Re: Memory "leak"?

    Robert Kaiser wrote :

    > Sarah Houston wrote:
    >> Arghh.
    >>
    >> I had 10,000 days of history put in there, not realizing how much
    >> memory it would eventually eat.

    > This should actually work much better once we switch to the new
    > history backend ("places"), where not everything will be kept in
    > memory, but only retrieved from the database as need. This is on the
    > list of things that I'd like to see in SeaMonkey 2, but it's not sure
    > if we'll get it - mainly depends on someone to work on it.
    >
    > Robert Kaiser

    One thing I'd like to see, is for them to fix that pull-down menu problem,
    where it hangs everything when I pull a menu down, for several seconds

  14. Re: Memory "leak"?

    On 6/8/2008 1:03 PM PT, Sarah Houston wrote:

    >>> It was using anywhere from 140-180 megs.

    >> That's not bad. So how many days did you lower to and how much memory?

    > I actually needed more RAM. I only had 512K.

    Seriously, 512 KB? How in the world can you even boot up a recent OS?
    [grin] You meant 512 MB, right?

    > I upgraded to 1.5GB and everything's fine now.

    --
    Phillip Pi
    Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst

+ Reply to Thread