Can't upgrade from SM 1.17 to 1.18 or 1.19 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Can't upgrade from SM 1.17 to 1.18 or 1.19 - Mozilla ; I have been using my present SeaMonkey profile since before Netscape 7.2. I have been able to upgrade to each new version without any problems since SeaMonkey was a beta. Since upgrading to SM v1.17, if I install a newer ...

  1. Can't upgrade from SM 1.17 to 1.18 or 1.19

    I have been using my present SeaMonkey profile since before Netscape
    7.2. I have been able to upgrade to each new version without any
    problems since SeaMonkey was a beta. Since upgrading to SM v1.17, if I
    install a newer SM version it appears to be fine (Help and About gives
    correct new v1.19) until I reboot my PC. After rebooting SeaMonkey drops
    back to v1.17 from v1.19 and asks if I want it to be my default browser
    and mail client. The v1.17 appears to work fine. I only have one user
    profile called "Mooreman on Wowway.com". Would upgrading SM in Safe Mode
    help this problem?

    Have Win2K SP4 plus roll-up #5 and all updates installed.

  2. Re: Can't upgrade from SM 1.17 to 1.18 or 1.19

    On 02/05/08 19:08, Bill Woelk wrote:
    > I have been using my present SeaMonkey profile since before Netscape
    > 7.2. I have been able to upgrade to each new version without any
    > problems since SeaMonkey was a beta. Since upgrading to SM v1.17, if I
    > install a newer SM version it appears to be fine (Help and About gives
    > correct new v1.19) until I reboot my PC. After rebooting SeaMonkey drops
    > back to v1.17 from v1.19 and asks if I want it to be my default browser
    > and mail client. The v1.17 appears to work fine. I only have one user
    > profile called "Mooreman on Wowway.com". Would upgrading SM in Safe Mode
    > help this problem?
    >
    > Have Win2K SP4 plus roll-up #5 and all updates installed.

    Be sure to upgrade from an admin account (and, on Vista, _request_ admin
    privileges because they aren't automatically granted on login; but you
    aren't on Vista are you?)

    If it doesn't work, down load the _full installer_ from
    http://seamonkey-project.org/ , and try to install that. Don't remove
    the installer from your HD until you're sure that it works, because...

    If it still doesn't work, uninstall 1.1.7 first (as well as any version
    which is shown as "installed" by Add/Remove Programs), then run the full
    installer. Uninstall won't remove any of your Preferences, bookmarks,
    saved mail, etc., because it intentionally leaves your profile alone. On
    Sm 1.1.x it might (or might not) remove some of your extensions (but not
    necessarily all of them); in that case you will have to reinstall the
    missing ones after the upgrade.

    After installing, be sure to run the program once with admin privileges
    to finalize the installation.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    There was a young man named Crockett
    Whose balls got caught in a socket.

  3. Re: Can't upgrade from SM 1.17 to 1.18 or 1.19

    Bill Woelk wrote:
    > I have been using my present SeaMonkey profile since before Netscape
    > 7.2. I have been able to upgrade to each new version without any
    > problems since SeaMonkey was a beta. Since upgrading to SM v1.17, if I
    > install a newer SM version it appears to be fine (Help and About gives
    > correct new v1.19) until I reboot my PC. After rebooting SeaMonkey drops
    > back to v1.17 from v1.19 and asks if I want it to be my default browser
    > and mail client. The v1.17 appears to work fine. I only have one user
    > profile called "Mooreman on Wowway.com". Would upgrading SM in Safe Mode
    > help this problem?
    >
    > Have Win2K SP4 plus roll-up #5 and all updates installed.

    Bill, after doing the installation, are you trying to run SM 1.1.9 by
    clicking on the desktop link which is still set up for SM 1.1.7? Right
    click on the desktop link, select properties and make sure it points to
    where you installed SM 1.1.9!

    HTH

    Daniel

+ Reply to Thread