Operating Systems Testing for Software for Insecure & Missing SecurityUpdates - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Operating Systems Testing for Software for Insecure & Missing SecurityUpdates - Mozilla ; I ran Secunia Software Inspector and it pointed out I should update some of my Adobe Flash Player software to newer versions. For example in my Macromed\Flash folder I have Java JRE 1.5.x/5.x version 9.0.124.0 which Secunia says is the ...

  1. Operating Systems Testing for Software for Insecure & Missing SecurityUpdates

    I ran Secunia Software Inspector and it pointed out I should update some
    of my Adobe Flash Player software to newer versions. For example in my
    Macromed\Flash folder I have Java JRE 1.5.x/5.x version 9.0.124.0 which
    Secunia says is the correct version. However, they suggest I remove
    older versions. The older version is JRE 1.5.x/5.x version 5.0.110.3
    I don't see any such item in my Flash folder. Here is what shows in the
    Flash folder:
    Flash9e.ocx
    Flashplayer.xpt
    Install.log
    KB913433.inf
    npswf32.dll
    NPSWF32 FlashUtil.exe
    uninstall.plugin.exe
    I have some other software to upgrade, so I may require additional help.
    My computer knowledge is very basic. Thanks to anyone that helps.

  2. Re: Operating Systems Testing for Software for Insecure & MissingSecurity Updates

    On 4/30/2008 3:20 AM, LWB wrote:
    > I ran Secunia Software Inspector and it pointed out I should update some
    > of my Adobe Flash Player software to newer versions. For example in my
    > Macromed\Flash folder I have Java JRE 1.5.x/5.x version 9.0.124.0 which
    > Secunia says is the correct version. However, they suggest I remove
    > older versions. The older version is JRE 1.5.x/5.x version 5.0.110.3
    > I don't see any such item in my Flash folder. Here is what shows in the
    > Flash folder:
    > Flash9e.ocx
    > Flashplayer.xpt
    > Install.log
    > KB913433.inf
    > npswf32.dll
    > NPSWF32 FlashUtil.exe
    > uninstall.plugin.exe
    > I have some other software to upgrade, so I may require additional help.
    > My computer knowledge is very basic. Thanks to anyone that helps.

    Check the plugins folder under the folder where SeaMonkey itself is
    installed. Do you have a npswf32.dll there? If so, what version do you
    see when you view the file properties?

    --
    David E. Ross

    Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    Mozilla-related applications. You can access Mozdev much

  3. Re: Operating Systems Testing for Software for Insecure & MissingSecurity Updates

    LWB wrote:
    > I ran Secunia Software Inspector and it pointed out I should update some
    > of my Adobe Flash Player software to newer versions. For example in my
    > Macromed\Flash folder I have Java JRE 1.5.x/5.x version 9.0.124.0 which
    > Secunia says is the correct version. However, they suggest I remove
    > older versions. The older version is JRE 1.5.x/5.x version 5.0.110.3
    > I don't see any such item in my Flash folder. Here is what shows in the
    > Flash folder:
    > Flash9e.ocx
    > Flashplayer.xpt
    > Install.log
    > KB913433.inf
    > npswf32.dll
    > NPSWF32 FlashUtil.exe
    > uninstall.plugin.exe
    > I have some other software to upgrade, so I may require additional help.
    > My computer knowledge is very basic. Thanks to anyone that helps.

    I don't think secunia knows what its talking about. First,
    the latest flash is 9.0.124.0, and the JRE files have
    nothing to do with flash, but rather java. If secunia is
    telling you jre 1.5 is flash, then its wrong. Perhaps you
    read the report wrong. It might have told you you have the
    latest flash, but old versions of java, and told you to
    remove those. Then that would be corrent. The current jre
    java is 1.6.06. If you have older versions, then remove
    those, as it could cause conflicts and could cause problems.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  4. Re: Operating Systems Testing for Software for Insecure & MissingSecurity Updates

    David E. Ross wrote:
    > On 4/30/2008 3:20 AM, LWB wrote:
    >> I ran Secunia Software Inspector and it pointed out I should update some
    >> of my Adobe Flash Player software to newer versions. For example in my
    >> Macromed\Flash folder I have Java JRE 1.5.x/5.x version 9.0.124.0 which
    >> Secunia says is the correct version. However, they suggest I remove
    >> older versions. The older version is JRE 1.5.x/5.x version 5.0.110.3
    >> I don't see any such item in my Flash folder. Here is what shows in the
    >> Flash folder:
    >> Flash9e.ocx
    >> Flashplayer.xpt
    >> Install.log
    >> KB913433.inf
    >> npswf32.dll
    >> NPSWF32 FlashUtil.exe
    >> uninstall.plugin.exe
    >> I have some other software to upgrade, so I may require additional help.
    >> My computer knowledge is very basic. Thanks to anyone that helps.

    > Check the plugins folder under the folder where SeaMonkey itself is
    > installed. Do you have a npswf32.dll there? If so, what version do you
    > see when you view the file properties?

    I looked in plugin folder at C:\program files\mozilla.org\seamonkey\
    There is no npswf32.dll shown. How do I get the file into the correct
    plugin folder? Can I copy the npswf32.dll file from the flash folder to
    the seamonkey plugin folder? Please advise.

  5. Re: Operating Systems Testing for Software for Insecure & MissingSecurity Updates

    LWB wrote:
    > David E. Ross wrote:
    >> On 4/30/2008 3:20 AM, LWB wrote:
    >>> I ran Secunia Software Inspector and it pointed out I should update some
    >>> of my Adobe Flash Player software to newer versions. For example in my
    >>> Macromed\Flash folder I have Java JRE 1.5.x/5.x version 9.0.124.0 which
    >>> Secunia says is the correct version. However, they suggest I remove
    >>> older versions. The older version is JRE 1.5.x/5.x version 5.0.110.3
    >>> I don't see any such item in my Flash folder. Here is what shows in the
    >>> Flash folder:
    >>> Flash9e.ocx
    >>> Flashplayer.xpt
    >>> Install.log
    >>> KB913433.inf
    >>> npswf32.dll
    >>> NPSWF32 FlashUtil.exe
    >>> uninstall.plugin.exe
    >>> I have some other software to upgrade, so I may require additional help.
    >>> My computer knowledge is very basic. Thanks to anyone that helps.

    >> Check the plugins folder under the folder where SeaMonkey itself is
    >> installed. Do you have a npswf32.dll there? If so, what version do you
    >> see when you view the file properties?
    >>

    > I looked in plugin folder at C:\program files\mozilla.org\seamonkey\
    > There is no npswf32.dll shown. How do I get the file into the correct
    > plugin folder? Can I copy the npswf32.dll file from the flash folder to
    > the seamonkey plugin folder? Please advise.

    you can if you want.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: Operating Systems Testing for Software for Insecure & MissingSecurity Updates

    On 4/30/2008 9:52 AM, LWB wrote:
    > David E. Ross wrote:
    >> On 4/30/2008 3:20 AM, LWB wrote:
    >>> I ran Secunia Software Inspector and it pointed out I should update some
    >>> of my Adobe Flash Player software to newer versions. For example in my
    >>> Macromed\Flash folder I have Java JRE 1.5.x/5.x version 9.0.124.0 which
    >>> Secunia says is the correct version. However, they suggest I remove
    >>> older versions. The older version is JRE 1.5.x/5.x version 5.0.110.3
    >>> I don't see any such item in my Flash folder. Here is what shows in the
    >>> Flash folder:
    >>> Flash9e.ocx
    >>> Flashplayer.xpt
    >>> Install.log
    >>> KB913433.inf
    >>> npswf32.dll
    >>> NPSWF32 FlashUtil.exe
    >>> uninstall.plugin.exe
    >>> I have some other software to upgrade, so I may require additional help.
    >>> My computer knowledge is very basic. Thanks to anyone that helps.

    >> Check the plugins folder under the folder where SeaMonkey itself is
    >> installed. Do you have a npswf32.dll there? If so, what version do you
    >> see when you view the file properties?
    >>

    > I looked in plugin folder at C:\program files\mozilla.org\seamonkey\
    > There is no npswf32.dll shown. How do I get the file into the correct
    > plugin folder? Can I copy the npswf32.dll file from the flash folder to
    > the seamonkey plugin folder? Please advise.

    That is not necessary. SeaMonkey can use the Flash plugin where it is
    already installed under the Windows directory. The same is true of
    Java, which is installed in the Program Files\Java directory.