down loading of e-mail problem - Mozilla

This is a discussion on down loading of e-mail problem - Mozilla ; Hello all, My challenge is that at least three or four times a week, my SM 1.1.9, will down load every e-mail from my web mail account. I Am using WinXP sp2. I Am talking about over 500 messages at ...

  1. down loading of e-mail problem

    Hello all,

    My challenge is that at least three or four times a week, my SM 1.1.9,
    will down load every e-mail from my web mail account. I Am using WinXP sp2.

    I Am talking about over 500 messages at a time and there are times when
    I have upwards of 900 messages online.

    Any ideas on how to stop this behaviour on SM's part?

    Thank you,

    Bo1953

  2. Re: down loading of e-mail problem

    Samuel S wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > My challenge is that at least three or four times a week, my SM 1.1.9,
    > will down load every e-mail from my web mail account. I Am using WinXP sp2.
    >
    > I Am talking about over 500 messages at a time and there are times when
    > I have upwards of 900 messages online.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to stop this behaviour on SM's part?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Bo1953

    I forgot to add that I have Kaspersky as my security suite.

  3. Re: down loading of e-mail problem

    On approximately 4/28/2008 6:05 AM, came the following characters from
    the keyboard of Samuel S:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > My challenge is that at least three or four times a week, my SM 1.1.9,
    > will down load every e-mail from my web mail account. I Am using WinXP sp2.
    >
    > I Am talking about over 500 messages at a time and there are times when
    > I have upwards of 900 messages online.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to stop this behaviour on SM's part?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Bo1953

    Dunno what is happening, but I do know that Yahoo reassigns its message
    numbers when a message is delivered with a timestamp that is
    out-of-order. Yahoo sorts by timestamp, then assigns message numbers.
    Whether this aberration affects the way that SeaMonkey sees things, and
    causes it to redownload everything in an attempt to resynchronize, I
    couldn't say for sure, as I don't really know the internal algorithms
    used by SeaMonkey.

    While I have a Yahoo account, and can produce the above aberration on
    demand, I don't keep messages online, so haven't observed the behavior
    you describe.

    --
    Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/
    ===========================

  4. Re: down loading of e-mail problem

    Glenn wrote:
    > On approximately 4/28/2008 6:05 AM, came the following characters from
    > the keyboard of Samuel S:
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> My challenge is that at least three or four times a week, my SM 1.1.9,
    >> will down load every e-mail from my web mail account. I Am using WinXP
    >> sp2.
    >>
    >> I Am talking about over 500 messages at a time and there are times
    >> when I have upwards of 900 messages online.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on how to stop this behaviour on SM's part?
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >>
    >> Bo1953

    > Dunno what is happening, but I do know that Yahoo reassigns its message
    > numbers when a message is delivered with a timestamp that is
    > out-of-order. Yahoo sorts by timestamp, then assigns message numbers.
    > Whether this aberration affects the way that SeaMonkey sees things, and
    > causes it to redownload everything in an attempt to resynchronize, I
    > couldn't say for sure, as I don't really know the internal algorithms
    > used by SeaMonkey.
    >
    > While I have a Yahoo account, and can produce the above aberration on
    > demand, I don't keep messages online, so haven't observed the behavior
    > you describe.

    Thank you Glen for your response, it is not Yahoo for this account it is
    my ISP account from which this is happening.

    I do not delete any messages from the web mail account, only in SM which
    deletes it from the web mail.

    So I Am still confounded as to what is what with this.

    Thank you again,

    Bo1953

  5. Re: down loading of e-mail problem

    Samuel S wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > My challenge is that at least three or four times a week, my SM 1.1.9,
    > will down load every e-mail from my web mail account. I Am using WinXP sp2.
    >
    > I Am talking about over 500 messages at a time and there are times when
    > I have upwards of 900 messages online.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to stop this behaviour on SM's part?

    Use IMAP instead of POP3 if you have the option.

    -sw

  6. Re: down loading of e-mail problem

    On approximately 4/28/2008 5:21 PM, came the following characters from
    the keyboard of Samuel S:
    > Glenn wrote:
    >> On approximately 4/28/2008 6:05 AM, came the following characters from
    >> the keyboard of Samuel S:
    >>> Hello all,
    >>>
    >>> My challenge is that at least three or four times a week, my SM
    >>> 1.1.9, will down load every e-mail from my web mail account. I Am
    >>> using WinXP sp2.
    >>>
    >>> I Am talking about over 500 messages at a time and there are times
    >>> when I have upwards of 900 messages online.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas on how to stop this behaviour on SM's part?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you,
    >>>
    >>> Bo1953

    >> Dunno what is happening, but I do know that Yahoo reassigns its
    >> message numbers when a message is delivered with a timestamp that is
    >> out-of-order. Yahoo sorts by timestamp, then assigns message numbers.
    >> Whether this aberration affects the way that SeaMonkey sees things,
    >> and causes it to redownload everything in an attempt to resynchronize,
    >> I couldn't say for sure, as I don't really know the internal
    >> algorithms used by SeaMonkey.
    >>
    >> While I have a Yahoo account, and can produce the above aberration on
    >> demand, I don't keep messages online, so haven't observed the behavior
    >> you describe.
    >>

    > Thank you Glen for your response, it is not Yahoo for this account it is
    > my ISP account from which this is happening.
    >
    > I do not delete any messages from the web mail account, only in SM which
    > deletes it from the web mail.
    >
    > So I Am still confounded as to what is what with this.
    >
    > Thank you again,
    >
    > Bo1953

    Email servers vary; sorry for assuming Yahoo, but you posted from a
    Yahoo account, and didn't say otherwise.

    If you can identify the brand of mail server your ISP uses, someone
    might know something about its peculiarities; and that woul be the first
    step in doing a search for information about that mail server, is
    knowing which one it is.

    I have used Clearwire, and it incorrectly reports the bytecount for
    messages, which most email clients mostly ignore, and many anti-virus
    proxies invalidate (having discovered that most email clients ignore
    it), but I also use an email client which actually notices the
    bytecount, and reports discrepancies, so their 3rd party mail server
    company is using something that doesn't even conform to the POP3 RFC
    standard There was a big announcement that they were going to switch
    to Google-hosted email, but I haven't observed that that has happened yet.

    Google has its own ways in which it is different than most other mail
    servers, but so far my experience is that they are standard (although
    there is a lot of press saying their POP3 is not, but it is).
    Unfortunately, once you get more than about 250MB or 30days worth of
    messages, or about 400 messages, there is some sort of a limit in the
    Google POP3 server, and it "clogs up". Sometimes that is manifested by
    presenting all the messages as new (similar to what you describe),
    always it is manifested by new messages no longer arriving -- not lost,
    just you have to clear out the POP3 server queue by deleting the old
    messages before the new ones will come. Their IMAP server doesn't
    suffer from such. This is a bit of a concern for taking extended trips
    where one might be limited to dialup and POP access for extended
    periods.... but I guess using IMAP after returning home would give
    access to all the messages deleted from the POP server anyway... but
    that is a new option, not available on my last extended trip... and was
    one of the reasons I didn't use gmail as my primary email server.

    Now that they have IMAP, which sidesteps the POP problem, I have hosted
    my whole domain's email at Google, and their anti-spam technology is
    second to none (in my experience).

    Well, everyone could report on their negative experiences with various
    mail servers, I suppose.... but until we know what you are using, we
    can't be directly responsive to your question.

    I would recommend Google email to anyone, at this point, primarily due
    to their anti-spam... they don't discard anything, so you can tell
    exactly how good it is (or isn't) for the email you receive. But it is
    sorted very effectively between Inbox and Spam folders.

    --
    Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/
    ===========================

  7. Re: down loading of e-mail problem

    Glenn wrote:

    > Now that they have IMAP, which sidesteps the POP problem, I have hosted
    > my whole domain's email at Google, and their anti-spam technology is
    > second to none (in my experience).

    Of courese it's second to none. They have a great spam-base to work
    with the **** coming out of Google Groups.

    -sw

  8. Re: down loading of e-mail problem

    On approximately 4/29/2008 7:12 PM, came the following characters from
    the keyboard of Sqwertz:
    > Glenn wrote:
    >
    >> Now that they have IMAP, which sidesteps the POP problem, I have hosted
    >> my whole domain's email at Google, and their anti-spam technology is
    >> second to none (in my experience).

    > Of courese it's second to none. They have a great spam-base to work
    > with the **** coming out of Google Groups.
    >
    > -sw

    I wondered if someone would mention that... I doubt they generate
    what comes out of Google Groups, but it does seem that they could do
    more to prevent it, given how well they discriminate incoming spam.

    Conspiracy theorists might speculate that they allow the spam generation
    so that other services are flooded, and everyone has to come to Google
    for the best anti-spam solution... except that one is news and the other
    is email... They actually seem to attempt to stanch outgoing email
    spam, with some of the same annoying user limits that other services
    use: maximum of 100 recipients per SMTP-sent email, so many maximum
    messages per hour, etc. At least on the free accounts; not sure if
    those limits can be lifted with $.

    --
    Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/
    ===========================

  9. Re: down loading of e-mail problem

    Glenn wrote:
> [...]

    > access to all the messages deleted from the POP server anyway... but
    > that is a new option, not available on my last extended trip... and was
    > one of the reasons I didn't use gmail as my primary email server.
    >
    > Now that they have IMAP, which sidesteps the POP problem, I have hosted
    > my whole domain's email at Google, and their anti-spam technology is
    > second to none (in my experience).
    >
    > Well, everyone could report on their negative experiences with various
    > mail servers, I suppose.... but until we know what you are using, we
    > can't be directly responsive to your question.
    >
    > I would recommend Google email to anyone, at this point, primarily due
    > to their anti-spam... they don't discard anything, so you can tell
    > exactly how good it is (or isn't) for the email you receive. But it is
    > sorted very effectively between Inbox and Spam folders.

    Thank you for your response. I do apologize for my late response. At any
    rate, the mail program which the ISP is using is Webmail. I then can
    access e-mail which is on the server.

    Which I do believe is a pop mail server, as per the webmaster a few
    years back when I started off with Netscape.

    I looked into the help section for IMAP, I would have to delete the
    settings and account and start from scratch or could I do a back up and
    import the e-mails again? If this is even an option for me.

    Thanks all...

    Bo1953

  10. Re: down loading of e-mail problem

    On approximately 4/30/2008 12:49 PM, came the following characters from
    the keyboard of Samuel S:
> [...]

    >> can't be directly responsive to your question.
    >>
    >> I would recommend Google email to anyone, at this point, primarily due
    >> to their anti-spam... they don't discard anything, so you can tell
    >> exactly how good it is (or isn't) for the email you receive. But it
    >> is sorted very effectively between Inbox and Spam folders.
    >>

    > Glen,
    >
    > Thank you for your response. I do apologize for my late response. At any
    > rate, the mail program which the ISP is using is Webmail. I then can
    > access e-mail which is on the server.
    >
    > Which I do believe is a pop mail server, as per the webmaster a few
    > years back when I started off with Netscape.
    >
    > I looked into the help section for IMAP, I would have to delete the
    > settings and account and start from scratch or could I do a back up and
    > import the e-mails again? If this is even an option for me.

    Assuming that your ISP supports both POP and IMAP (yet a few years ago,
    they might not have recommended IMAP even if they had both then, because
    the clients were less common), then the easiest way to migrate would be
    to add a new account in SeaMonkey, using the settings for the ISP IMAP
    server.

    Establish that you can access you account and see the emails that are
    still on the server via the IMAP account and its folders. Once that is
    accomplished, you can quit checking for new mail using the POP account.

    Move the emails from the POP account folders into folders under Local
    Folders. Once that is accomplished, you can delete the POP account
    altogether.

    Any emails that you wish to archive locally (for local access
    performance or backup purposes) can be moved from the IMAP account to
    Local Folders, or copied, if you wish to leave them on the server for
    access via WebMail. If you have adequate space on the server to archive
    all history, feel free to leave your archives in server folders, which
    should be accessible via IMAP.

    All in all, if you wish to leave messages on the server, IMAP is a more
    robust way of doing so.

    --
    Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/