Back Button greyed out - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Back Button greyed out - Mozilla ; Lately when browsing the Back button is greyed out. What can cause that? -- Gerald Ross Cochran, GA My oh my! Life sure is easier with my new Salad Shooter (R) !...

  1. Back Button greyed out

    Lately when browsing the Back button is greyed out. What can cause that?
    --
    Gerald Ross
    Cochran, GA

    My oh my! Life sure is easier with my
    new Salad Shooter (R) !

  2. Re: Back Button greyed out

    On 23/04/2008, Gerald Ross wrote:

    > Lately when browsing the Back button is greyed out. What can cause that?
    > --
    > Gerald Ross
    > Cochran, GA
    >
    > My oh my! Life sure is easier with my
    > new Salad Shooter (R) !

    is that the button it self, or on the screen ;-) ?

    --
    grandfather

  3. Re: Back Button greyed out

    On 4/23/08 5:52 AM, _Gerald Ross_ spoke thusly:
    > Lately when browsing the Back button is greyed out. What can cause that?

    Make sure your history isn't set to zero.
    --
    Chris Ilias

  4. Re: Back Button greyed out

    Gerald Ross wrote:
    > Lately when browsing the Back button is greyed out. What can cause that?

    It may be that you opened a link in a new tab? There won't be anywhere
    to go "Back" to because the temporary history is kept separately for
    each tab.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  5. Re: Back Button greyed out

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Gerald Ross wrote:
    >> Lately when browsing the Back button is greyed out. What can cause that?

    > It may be that you opened a link in a new tab? There won't be anywhere
    > to go "Back" to because the temporary history is kept separately for
    > each tab.

    Clarification: Using 1.1.9 on XP Home. Not on the screen. Mine just
    has "Back" Forward" "Reload" "Stop" etc the second toolbar. My history
    is set at 60 days. I really don't know what a tab is. I know that when
    I do a search for something with Google and open the first result I
    used to be able to click the "Back" and go back the list of results.
    Now I have to re-do the search because the back doesn't work. But
    occasionally it does. I tried clearing the cache, checked the history
    setting already.

    --
    Gerald Ross
    Cochran, GA

    Necessity is the mother of strange
    bedfellows. --Dave Farber

  6. Re: Back Button greyed out

    Gerald Ross wrote:
    > I really don't know what a tab is.

    a tab is similar to opening up another SM browser window,
    but you do it within the same windows. I find it very
    useful. To set it up, click on Edit, Preferences,
    Navigator, Tabbed Browsing. Now on the top right, uncheck
    Hide Tab Bar. Check Switch to Tabs. Then check the one
    about Middle Clicking. Then select under Link Behavour, you
    want A New Tab in the Current Window, and The Current
    tab/window. Once done, OK out.

    Now, go to a site with lots of links, and either:

    -- Hold Down the Shift Key and Click on a link
    -- or Middle Click your mouse button
    -- or click the mouse wheel,

    and watch what happens. If everything is set up correctly,
    then that link will be opened in a New tab.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org newsgroup servers, where you
    may get banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  7. Re: Back Button greyed out

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Gerald Ross wrote:
    >> I really don't know what a tab is.

    > a tab is similar to opening up another SM browser window, but you do it
    > within the same windows. I find it very useful. To set it up, click on
    > Edit, Preferences, Navigator, Tabbed Browsing. Now on the top right,
    > uncheck Hide Tab Bar. Check Switch to Tabs. Then check the one about
    > Middle Clicking. Then select under Link Behavour, you want A New Tab in
    > the Current Window, and The Current tab/window. Once done, OK out.
    >
    > Now, go to a site with lots of links, and either:
    >
    > -- Hold Down the Shift Key and Click on a link
    > -- or Middle Click your mouse button
    > -- or click the mouse wheel,
    >
    > and watch what happens. If everything is set up correctly, then that
    > link will be opened in a New tab.

    Why not just right click on the link and then "Open link in new tab"?
    You can then go back to the *TAB* with "the list of results" as often as
    you want to.

  8. Re: Back Button greyed out

    Mike C wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Gerald Ross wrote:
    >>> I really don't know what a tab is.

    >> a tab is similar to opening up another SM browser window, but you do it
    >> within the same windows. I find it very useful. To set it up, click on
    >> Edit, Preferences, Navigator, Tabbed Browsing. Now on the top right,
    >> uncheck Hide Tab Bar. Check Switch to Tabs. Then check the one about
    >> Middle Clicking. Then select under Link Behavour, you want A New Tab in
    >> the Current Window, and The Current tab/window. Once done, OK out.
    >>
    >> Now, go to a site with lots of links, and either:
    >>
    >> -- Hold Down the Shift Key and Click on a link
    >> -- or Middle Click your mouse button
    >> -- or click the mouse wheel,
    >>
    >> and watch what happens. If everything is set up correctly, then that
    >> link will be opened in a New tab.
    >>

    > Why not just right click on the link and then "Open link in new tab"?
    > You can then go back to the *TAB* with "the list of results" as often as
    > you want to.

    I listed 3 ways of doing it. Of course there are others.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org newsgroup servers, where you
    may get banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  9. Re: Back Button greyed out

    Gerald Ross wrote:
    > Lately when browsing the Back button is greyed out. What can cause that?

    Gotta love this group. It's like going in a filling station and asking
    "how do I get to Claxton?". The first answer is "Why would you want to
    go to Claxton? I always go to Elberta. Next someone gives me concise
    directions to Elberta. Finally someone asks, "When have you had your
    oil changed?" :>)

    --
    Gerald Ross
    Cochran, GA

    Never draw fire, it irritates everyone
    around you

  10. Re: Back Button greyed out

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:39:08 -0400
    Gerald Ross wrote:

    > Gotta love this group. It's like going in a filling station and
    > asking "how do I get to Claxton?". The first answer is "Why would you
    > want to go to Claxton? I always go to Elberta. Next someone gives me
    > concise directions to Elberta. Finally someone asks, "When have you
    > had your oil changed?" :>)

    Heh, all peer support groups can be like that. Two solutions are

    (a) Open with an essay about what you'll be doing in Claxton, trying
    to anticipate all counterarguments about going somewhere else. Be
    prepared to defend your thesis.

    (b) Open with, "None of you can tell me how to get to Claxton,
    because it's impossible to get there from here!" They can't send
    you to Elberta without admitting defeat.

    But you really should change your oil.

    [I've crossposted and set followup to mozilla.general]

  11. Re: Back Button greyed out

    Gerald Ross wrote:

    > Gotta love this group. It's like going in a filling station and
    > asking "how do I get to Claxton?". The first answer is "Why would you
    > want to go to Claxton? I always go to Elberta. Next someone gives me
    > concise directions to Elberta. Finally someone asks, "When have you
    > had your oil changed?" :>)

    Heh, all peer support groups can be like that. Two solutions are

    (a) Open with an essay about what you'll be doing in Claxton, trying
    to anticipate all counterarguments about going somewhere else. Be
    prepared to defend your thesis.

    (b) Open with, "None of you can tell me how to get to Claxton,
    because it's impossible to get there from here!" They can't send
    you to Elberta without admitting defeat.

    But you really should change your oil.

    [I've crossposted and set followup to mozilla.general]

  12. Re: Back Button greyed out

    On 24.04.2008 20:33, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Q to
    generate the following:? :
    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:39:08 -0400
    > Gerald Ross wrote:
    >

    >> Gotta love this group. It's like going in a filling station and
    >> asking "how do I get to Claxton?". The first answer is "Why would you
    >> want to go to Claxton? I always go to Elberta. Next someone gives me
    >> concise directions to Elberta. Finally someone asks, "When have you
    >> had your oil changed?" :>)
    >>

    > Heh, all peer support groups can be like that. Two solutions are
    >
    > (a) Open with an essay about what you'll be doing in Claxton, trying
    > to anticipate all counterarguments about going somewhere else. Be
    > prepared to defend your thesis.
    >
    > (b) Open with, "None of you can tell me how to get to Claxton,
    > because it's impossible to get there from here!" They can't send
    > you to Elberta without admitting defeat.
    >
    > But you really should change your oil.
    >
    > [I've crossposted and set followup to mozilla.general]

    and just imagine - you open a webpage (link provided by previous poster)
    and say "Hey! That's a great place - I'll go there next vacation" and
    meet the love of your life... who would NEVER think of moving to Claxton.

    reg

  13. Re: Back Button greyed out

    On 24.04.2008 20:33, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Q to
    generate the following:? :
    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:39:08 -0400
    > Gerald Ross wrote:
    >

    >> Gotta love this group. It's like going in a filling station and
    >> asking "how do I get to Claxton?". The first answer is "Why would you
    >> want to go to Claxton? I always go to Elberta. Next someone gives me
    >> concise directions to Elberta. Finally someone asks, "When have you
    >> had your oil changed?" :>)
    >>

    > Heh, all peer support groups can be like that. Two solutions are
    >
    > (a) Open with an essay about what you'll be doing in Claxton, trying
    > to anticipate all counterarguments about going somewhere else. Be
    > prepared to defend your thesis.
    >
    > (b) Open with, "None of you can tell me how to get to Claxton,
    > because it's impossible to get there from here!" They can't send
    > you to Elberta without admitting defeat.
    >
    > But you really should change your oil.
    >
    > [I've crossposted and set followup to mozilla.general]

    OK - talking of Claxton - what's wrong with this page - Pics don't show
    but are visible using the context menu>>view image
    http://www.claxtonenterprise.com/Bellville.html

    found it:
    couple of days back we changed a config setting for images:
    permissions.default.image
    from the default value 1 to either 2 or 3 (can't remember why, but
    something then worked, that didn't before).
    Changing the value back to default 1 brings up the pics on that URL.
    found that again:
    thread about <>, started by mgg@transforma on

    looks as if that Config setting is a bummer... if it works in one, in
    t'other it's bugged!

    Elberta AL has a server problem... http://townofelberta.com/
    so, "na! won't go there"

    Elberta. Michigan is at:
    http://www.villageofelberta.org/

    reg

  14. Re: Back Button greyed out

    squaredancer wrote:
    > OK - talking of Claxton - what's wrong with this page - Pics don't show
    > but are visible using the context menu>>view image
    > http://www.claxtonenterprise.com/Bellville.html
    >
    > found it:
    > couple of days back we changed a config setting for images:
    > permissions.default.image
    > from the default value 1 to either 2 or 3 (can't remember why, but
    > something then worked, that didn't before).
    > Changing the value back to default 1 brings up the pics on that URL.

    works for me.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org newsgroup servers, where you
    may get banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

+ Reply to Thread