hes and millimeters - Mozilla

This is a discussion on hes and millimeters - Mozilla ; it is rather confusing to mix millimeters with inches -- grand dad...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 90

  1. hes and millimeters

    it is rather confusing to mix millimeters with inches

    --
    grand dad

  2. Re: hes and millimeters

    On 20/04/08 15:40, GerardJan Vinkesteijn wrote:
    > it is rather confusing to mix millimeters with inches

    Maybe it is, but sometimes it is useful: for instance, when my printer
    used zig-zag sprocket-feed paper rather than sheet paper, I used to
    order paper 21cm wide by 11" deep.

    Imperial measures are rather confusing, in general, yet there are still
    people using them. One inch is 25.4 mm, one foot is twelve inches, one
    yard is three feet, one fathom is two yards, one statute mile is 1760
    yards...

    W3C specifications explicitly allow using any units together with any
    other units (as e.g. the four margins of a
    block): you could even
    mix pixels with millimeters, or points with percents... Not that it
    would necessarily be very useful.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Just because everything is different doesn't mean anything has
    changed.

  3. Re: hes and millimeters

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > On 20/04/08 15:40, GerardJan Vinkesteijn wrote:
    >> it is rather confusing to mix millimeters with inches
    >>

    > Maybe it is, but sometimes it is useful: for instance, when my printer
    > used zig-zag sprocket-feed paper rather than sheet paper, I used to
    > order paper 21cm wide by 11" deep.
    >
    > Imperial measures are rather confusing, in general, yet there are
    > still people using them. One inch is 25.4 mm, one foot is twelve
    > inches, one yard is three feet, one fathom is two yards, one statute
    > mile is 1760 yards...

    Guffaw! Imperial measures... and the Americans are the stalwarts still
    using it.

    > W3C specifications explicitly allow using any units together with any
    > other units (as e.g. the four margins of a
    block): you could
    > even mix pixels with millimeters, or points with percents... Not that
    > it would necessarily be very useful.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

  4. Re: hes and millimeters

    Nobody wrote:
    > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >> On 20/04/08 15:40, GerardJan Vinkesteijn wrote:
    >>> it is rather confusing to mix millimeters with inches
    >>>

    >> Maybe it is, but sometimes it is useful: for instance, when my printer
    >> used zig-zag sprocket-feed paper rather than sheet paper, I used to
    >> order paper 21cm wide by 11" deep.
    >>
    >> Imperial measures are rather confusing, in general, yet there are
    >> still people using them. One inch is 25.4 mm, one foot is twelve
    >> inches, one yard is three feet, one fathom is two yards, one statute
    >> mile is 1760 yards...
    >>

    > Guffaw! Imperial measures... and the Americans are the stalwarts still
    > using it.

    Well, at least there's *something* left of the empire.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  5. Re: hes and millimeters

    On 21.04.2008 18:43, Nobody wrote:

    > Guffaw! Imperial measures... and the Americans are the stalwarts still
    > using it.

    Right, and we will continue to use what we know how and are taught to
    use. The metric system is much better and easier to use but we (as a
    group) don't know how. Besides, I have no idea OR interest in how many
    stones I weigh! :-)

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  6. Re: hes and millimeters

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 21.04.2008 18:43, Nobody wrote:

    Thank you!

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  7. Re: hes and millimeters

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 21.04.2008 18:43, Nobody wrote:

    stones aren't metric. They're an old British measurement
    system, which was removed in 1985, so they don't use it
    anymore.

    Follow up set to mozilla.general

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: hes and millimeters

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >> On 21.04.2008 18:43, Nobody wrote:

    Aussies still use stone: "6.356 the crows" doesn't quite have the same
    ring to it...

  9. Re: hes and millimeters

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >> On 21.04.2008 18:43, Nobody wrote:

  10. Re: hes and millimeters

    Nobody wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> Jay Garcia wrote:
    >>> I have no idea OR interest in how many
    >>> stones I weigh! :-)
    >>>

    >> stones aren't metric. They're an old British measurement system,
    >> which was removed in 1985, so they don't use it anymore.

    > Aussies still use stone: "6.356 the crows" doesn't quite have the same
    > ring to it...

    is that how far the Adelaide Crows can kick a ball?

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org newsgroup servers, where you
    may get banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  11. Re: hes and millimeters

    Nobody wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Jay Garcia wrote:
    >>> On 21.04.2008 18:43, Nobody wrote:

    I wondered where the term "stones throw away" came from! ;-)

  12. Re: hes and millimeters

    Nobody wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Jay Garcia wrote:
    >>> On 21.04.2008 18:43, Nobody wrote:

  13. Re: hes and millimeters

    Nobody wrote:

    > Guffaw! Imperial measures... and the Americans are the stalwarts still
    > using it.

    Yeah, and when the Pax Americana is finally imposed on the rest of the
    world, you'll all be using Imperial measure.

    You think you can get away with continuing to use a simple, logical
    system of measurement? Not in the world to come, ruled by the One
    Remaining Superpower. You will learn to be as illogical as we are. And
    as illogical as the British Empire was before us.

    (Lessee; do I need a "Bwa-ha-ha" here? Nah...)

  14. Re: hes and millimeters

    On 22.04.2008 10:59, Nobody wrote:

    >>> Right, and we will continue to use what we know how and are taught to
    >>> use. The metric system is much better and easier to use but we (as a
    >>> group) don't know how. Besides, I have no idea OR interest in how many
    >>> stones I weigh! :-)
    >>>

    >> stones aren't metric. They're an old British measurement system,
    >> which was removed in 1985, so they don't use it anymore.
    >>

    > Aussies still use stone: "6.356 the crows" doesn't quite have the same
    > ring to it...

    He doesn't have an ounce of humor regarding my use of "stones". 8-)

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  15. Re: hes and millimeters

    >>> Right, and we will continue to use what we know how and are taught to
    >>> use. The metric system is much better and easier to use but we (as a
    >>> group) don't know how. Besides, I have no idea OR interest in how many
    >>> stones I weigh! :-)
    >>>

    >> stones aren't metric. They're an old British measurement system,
    >> which was removed in 1985, so they don't use it anymore.
    >>

    > Aussies still use stone: "6.356 the crows" doesn't quite have the same
    > ring to it...

    He doesn't have an ounce of humor regarding my use of "stones". 8-)

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  16. Re: hes and millimeters