hes and millimeters - Mozilla

This is a discussion on hes and millimeters - Mozilla ; Supoch Seanganant wrote: > >> From: maxmalawster@gmail.com > Subject: Re: hes and millimeters> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:03:40 -0700> To: general@lists.mozilla.org > > On Apr 22, 11:13 pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo> wrote:> > Nobody wrote:> > > ...

  1. Re: hes and millimeters

    Supoch Seanganant wrote:

    >> From: maxmalawster@gmail.com> Subject: Re: hes and millimeters> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:03:40 -0700> To: general@lists.mozilla.org> > On Apr 22, 11:13 pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo> wrote:> > Nobody wrote:> > > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:> > >>> Jay Garcia wrote:> > >>> I have no idea OR interest in how many> > >>> stones I weigh! :-)> >> > >> stones aren't metric. They're an old British measurement system,> > >> which was removed in 1985, so they don't use it anymore.> > > Aussies still use stone: "6.356 the crows" doesn't quite have the same> > > ring to it...> >> > is that how far the Adelaide Crows can kick a ball?> >> >

    > Ѻªشԡþɿըҡ Window Live services!

    what? I can't see your message. Where is it?

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org newsgroup servers, where you
    may get banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  2. Re: hes and millimeters

    On 4/23/2008 7:54 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Supoch Seanganant wrote:
    >>
    >>> From: maxmalawster@gmail.com> Subject: Re: hes and millimeters> Date:
    >>> Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:03:40 -0700> To: general@lists.mozilla.org> > On
    >>> Apr 22, 11:13 pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo>
    >>> :-)> >> > >> stones aren't metric. They're an old British
    >>> measurement system,> > >> which was removed in 1985, so they don't
    >>> use it anymore.> > > Aussies still use stone: "6.356 the crows"
    >>> doesn't quite have the same> > > ring to it...> >> > is that how far
    >>> the Adelaide Crows can kick a ball?> >> >

    >> __________________________________________________ _______________
    >> Ѻªشԡþɿըҡ Window Live services!

    > what? I can't see your message. Where is it?

    Peter, he's a troll.

    --
    Irwin

  3. Re: hes and millimeters

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> __________________________________________________ _______________
    >>> Ѻªشԡþɿըҡ Window Live services!

    >> what? I can't see your message. Where is it?
    >>

    > Peter, he's a troll.

    Correction THEY are trolls, I think!!

    Daniel

  4. Re: hes and millimeters

    On 24.04.2008 02:00, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Daniel to
    generate the following:? :
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 23.04.2008 01:53, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
    >> the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :

    >>> that depends on whether you're buying or selling.
    >>>

    >> exactly - I remember 12 pence = 1 shilling, 20 shillings = 1 pound
    >>
    >> ummm - I diverse.....
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    > 4 farthings = 2 halfpence = 1 pence ......... 21 shillings = 1 guinea!
    >
    > Daniel

    Daniel - are you old enough to remember Groats ans Mites??

    reg

  5. Re: hes and millimeters

    Daniel wrote:
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 23.04.2008 01:46, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip M.
    >> Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :

    In the US we use both systems.

    For example a pound of goose down, feathers is 12 ounces which a Pound
    of Sugar 16 ounces

  6. Re: hes and millimeters

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >>> __________________________________________________ _______________
    >>> Ѻªشԡþɿըҡ Window Live services!

    >> what? I can't see your message. Where is it?
    >>

    > Peter, he's a troll.

    One's posting via googlegroups and the other is doing it
    through the lists. That explains it. Enough said!

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org newsgroup servers, where you
    may get banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  7. Re: hes and millimeters

    On 24.04.2008 17:24, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip M.
    Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :
    > Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 23.04.2008 01:46, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip M.
    >>> Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :

    ahhhh Phillip.... that solves the old school physics question:
    "What is heavier - a pound of lead or a pound of feathers"??

    reg

  8. Re: hes and millimeters

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 24.04.2008 02:00, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Daniel to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 23.04.2008 01:53, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter
    >>> Potamus the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :

    >>> exactly - I remember 12 pence = 1 shilling, 20 shillings = 1 pound
    >>>
    >>> ummm - I diverse.....
    >>>
    >>> reg
    >>>

    >> 4 farthings = 2 halfpence = 1 pence ......... 21 shillings = 1 guinea!
    >>
    >> Daniel
    >>

    > Daniel - are you old enough to remember Groats ans Mites??
    >
    > reg

    reg, I can only recall seeing a farthing once, if that helps! Past 51
    heading, too fast, for 52!

    Daniel

  9. Re: hes and millimeters

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 24.04.2008 17:24, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip M.
    > Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :
    >> Daniel wrote:

    Yes, if 12 oz of feathers = 16 oz of lead, then the oz of feathers MUST
    be heavier! Right!

    Daniel

  10. Re: hes and millimeters

    Daniel wrote:
    > reg, I can only recall seeing a farthing once, if that helps!

    no, I can't see a fart, but I sure can hear them ;-) :-P :-D

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org newsgroup servers, where you
    may get banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  11. Re: hes and millimeters

    "Daniel" ...
    > Yes, if 12 oz of feathers = 16 oz of lead, then the oz of feathers MUST
    > be heavier! Right!

    I thought a simple search troy pound avoirdupois apothecaries metric
    would give a nice conversion table instead I got a flow chart!
    Avoirdupois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoirdupois

    Apothecaries' system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apothec...system_of_mass

  12. Re: hes and millimeters

    On 25.04.2008 01:50, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
    the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :
    > Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> reg, I can only recall seeing a farthing once, if that helps!
    >>

    > no, I can't see a fart, but I sure can hear them ;-) :-P :-D

    holding a lighted match near the source is supposed to help....

    reg

  13. Re: hes and millimeters

    On 25.04.2008 01:28, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Daniel to
    generate the following:? :
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 24.04.2008 02:00, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Daniel to
    >> generate the following:? :

    >>> 4 farthings = 2 halfpence = 1 pence ......... 21 shillings = 1 guinea!
    >>>
    >>> Daniel
    >>>

    >> Daniel - are you old enough to remember Groats ans Mites??
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    > reg, I can only recall seeing a farthing once, if that helps! Past 51
    > heading, too fast, for 52!
    >
    > Daniel

    I can only faintly recall them from the early war years - I was about
    3-4 at the time. The Farthing had a Robin on the revers, monarch's head
    on the avers.

    Mite:

    Groat:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groat

    reg

  14. Re: hes and millimeters

    On 25.04.2008 02:58, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused David
    McRitchie to generate the following:? :
    > "Daniel" ...
    >
    >> Yes, if 12 oz of feathers = 16 oz of lead, then the oz of feathers MUST
    >> be heavier! Right!
    >>

    > I thought a simple search troy pound avoirdupois apothecaries metric
    > would give a nice conversion table instead I got a flow chart!
    > Avoirdupois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoirdupois
    >
    > Apothecaries' system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apothec...system_of_mass

    so, David - and now try this!
    drop a pound weight of lead on your toe - a pound of feathers on the
    other....

    another thing to try is the question "do round balls have corners"??
    make a pound of lead into a round ball - drop on foot and answer question!

    reg

  15. Re: hes and millimeters

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >> reg, I can only recall seeing a farthing once, if that helps!

    > no, I can't see a fart, but I sure can hear them ;-) :-P :-D

    They burn on the way out if you don't make a noise. and will peel paint
    off the walls. If they make much noise their are just a lot of hot air
    and don't stink as bad. ;-)

  16. Re: hes and millimeters

    On 2008-04-24, Daniel wrote:

    > squaredancer wrote:
    >>
    >> exactly - I remember 12 pence = 1 shilling, 20 shillings = 1 pound

    > 4 farthings = 2 halfpence = 1 pence ......... 21 shillings = 1 guinea!

    5 shillings = 1 Crown.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  17. Re: hes and millimeters

    John Thompson said the following on 4/25/2008 5:44 PM:
    > On 2008-04-24, Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>> exactly - I remember 12 pence = 1 shilling, 20 shillings = 1 pound

    >> 4 farthings = 2 halfpence = 1 pence ......... 21 shillings = 1 guinea!

    > 5 shillings = 1 Crown.

    and a snail's pace is about 1 furlong per fortnight

    --
    (^\pop/^)
    I Stopped to think but forgot to start again.

  18. Re: hes and millimeters

    pop said the following on 4/25/2008 6:53 PM:
    > John Thompson said the following on 4/25/2008 5:44 PM:

    >>> 4 farthings = 2 halfpence = 1 pence ......... 21 shillings = 1 guinea!

    >> 5 shillings = 1 Crown.
    >>

    > and a snail's pace is about 1 furlong per fortnight

    actually a snails pace is much faster than that...
    more like 70 furlongs per fortnight

    --
    (^\pop/^)
    I Stopped to think but forgot to start again.
    --

  19. Re: hes and millimeters

    On 26.04.2008 02:05, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused pop to
    generate the following:? :
    > pop said the following on 4/25/2008 6:53 PM:
    >
    >> John Thompson said the following on 4/25/2008 5:44 PM:

    >>> 5 shillings = 1 Crown.
    >>>

    >> and a snail's pace is about 1 furlong per fortnight
    >>

    > actually a snails pace is much faster than that...
    > more like 70 furlongs per fortnight

    that's a bloody racing snail you got there!

    reg

  20. Re: hes and millimeters

    On 26.04.2008 00:44, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused John Thompson
    to generate the following:? :
    > On 2008-04-24, Daniel wrote:
    >

    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>
    >>> exactly - I remember 12 pence = 1 shilling, 20 shillings = 1 pound
    >>>

    >> 4 farthings = 2 halfpence = 1 pence ......... 21 shillings = 1 guinea!
    >>

    > 5 shillings = 1 Crown.

    1/2 penny = ha'penny (pron. Haypenny)
    1 penny = a copper
    2 pence = tuppence