Java 6 and SM 1.19 Problems? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Java 6 and SM 1.19 Problems? - Mozilla ; I hear an updated version of Java (6x, I believe) is out. Any reports of problems using it with SM 1.1.9...

  1. Java 6 and SM 1.19 Problems?

    I hear an updated version of Java (6x, I believe) is out. Any reports
    of problems using it with SM 1.1.9

  2. Re: Java 6 and SM 1.19 Problems?

    TMitchell wrote:
    > I hear an updated version of Java (6x, I believe) is out. Any reports
    > of problems using it with SM 1.1.9

    SeaMonkey 1.1.9. Just installed Java Version 6 Update 5, no problems so
    far.

    Verify your install here:

    http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

    --
    JD..

  3. Re: Java 6 and SM 1.19 Problems?

    TMitchell wrote:
    > I hear an updated version of Java (6x, I believe) is out. Any reports
    > of problems using it with SM 1.1.9

    Let me add that it does not remove the older Java Version Update 3, I do
    that with Add/Remove Programs.

    --
    JD..

  4. Re: Java 6 and SM 1.19 Problems?

    On 4/4/2008 8:33 AM PT, TMitchell typed:

    > I hear an updated version of Java (6x, I believe) is out. Any reports
    > of problems using it with SM 1.1.9

    No problems on my two SeaMonkeys on two different XP Pro. SP2 machines.
    --
    "One day he sprained an ankle rather than crush an ant." --Les Miserables
    /\___/\
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  5. Re: Java 6 and SM 1.19 Problems?

    Ant wrote:
    > On 4/4/2008 8:33 AM PT, TMitchell typed:
    >
    >> I hear an updated version of Java (6x, I believe) is out. Any reports
    >> of problems using it with SM 1.1.9

    > No problems on my two SeaMonkeys on two different XP Pro. SP2 machines.

    XP Pro. When I installed Java to the G:\ drive (where all of my
    programs are stored) the control panel applet would not work. Java
    itself worked but the control panel would not load. Had to
    uninstall/reinstall and let it go to the default path on C:\.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  6. Re: Java 6 and SM 1.19 Problems?

    On 4/5/2008 7:41 AM PT, Ed Mullen typed:

    > Ant wrote:
    >> On 4/4/2008 8:33 AM PT, TMitchell typed:
    >>
    >>> I hear an updated version of Java (6x, I believe) is out. Any
    >>> reports of problems using it with SM 1.1.9

    >> No problems on my two SeaMonkeys on two different XP Pro. SP2 machines.

    > XP Pro. When I installed Java to the G:\ drive (where all of my
    > programs are stored) the control panel applet would not work. Java
    > itself worked but the control panel would not load. Had to
    > uninstall/reinstall and let it go to the default path on C:\.

    That's weird. I have mine installed in D:\winstuff\jre1.6.0_05\ on the
    two machines and no problems. Did you run a registry checker after
    uninstalling JRE (might need a reboot too)? If not, then try that. Use
    jv16 PowerTools, CCleaner, etc.
    --
    ...."Like me with the anthill in my backyard. I spent days watching the
    ants, trying to figure out which ones were good, and which ones were
    bad, but they all just looked like ants, so I started smiting all of
    them." "Well that's not --" "I was smiting them with the garden hose,
    and with lighter fluid, and with the lawnmower, and to be perfectly
    honest, I think I went a little crazy with the shovel. Those ants could
    have been praying to me all day, I wouldn't have heard them." "There was
    nothing they could do about it." "But, I don't think --" "Really, it's
    the same with us. There's nothing we can do about anything either, so
    why worry about it? Hey, this is making me feel better." "Well, that's
    good, but --" "I guess all we can do is live our lives with as much
    kindness and decency as possible, and try not to dwell on God standing
    over us with a giant shovel."...--Dewey and Teacher in Day Care episode
    from Malcolm in the Middle
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  7. Re: Java 6 and SM 1.19 Problems?

    Ant wrote:
    > On 4/5/2008 7:41 AM PT, Ed Mullen typed:
    >
    >> Ant wrote:
    >>> On 4/4/2008 8:33 AM PT, TMitchell typed:

    >>> No problems on my two SeaMonkeys on two different XP Pro. SP2 machines.

    >> XP Pro. When I installed Java to the G:\ drive (where all of my
    >> programs are stored) the control panel applet would not work. Java
    >> itself worked but the control panel would not load. Had to
    >> uninstall/reinstall and let it go to the default path on C:\.

    > That's weird. I have mine installed in D:\winstuff\jre1.6.0_05\ on the
    > two machines and no problems. Did you run a registry checker after
    > uninstalling JRE (might need a reboot too)? If not, then try that. Use
    > jv16 PowerTools, CCleaner, etc.

    Oh, yeah. I did all of that. Purged registry, etc. Multiple times,
    various iterations. Install, uninstall, purge, etc. Fortunately, I
    have enough space on my C: drive to accommodate the bloated java install
    (over 100 Megabytes). It just irritates me. No installation should tell
    me where I have to put it. I wanted it on my G: drive, not my C: drive.
    But, there are a lot of programs out there, still, which insist on
    going to the C: drive. It's a matter of balancing my irritation at it
    with my need or desire for the benefits of the application. Still pisses
    me off. And, by the way ... 100+ Mb for Java??? You have got to be
    f!!!! kidding me? And, frankly, I'm not sure why I need it. Hmm. Maybe
    I'll uninstall it and see what stops working. I think the American
    Express site is written in Java. That would be a pisser. Still. I
    wonder if I could live without it. Hmm. On the other hand, I can just
    re-allocate some more space to the C:\ drive if it gets low ... Ah,
    hell. They are irritating but at some point fighting the fight gets to
    be more trouble than it's worth.

    And, as I think about it? People used to get all up in arms about
    "bloat" regarding Mozilla. You wanna see bloat? Take a look at Java!
    Jesus! 100+ Megabytes. For what? Something that gets used, what?
    "Once in a while?" Hideous. If Java died I would be very happy.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  8. Re: Java 6 and SM 1.19 Problems?

    On 4/5/2008 7:50 PM PT, Ed Mullen typed:

    >>> XP Pro. When I installed Java to the G:\ drive (where all of my
    >>> programs are stored) the control panel applet would not work. Java
    >>> itself worked but the control panel would not load. Had to
    >>> uninstall/reinstall and let it go to the default path on C:\.

    >> That's weird. I have mine installed in D:\winstuff\jre1.6.0_05\ on the
    >> two machines and no problems. Did you run a registry checker after
    >> uninstalling JRE (might need a reboot too)? If not, then try that. Use
    >> jv16 PowerTools, CCleaner, etc.

    > Oh, yeah. I did all of that. Purged registry, etc. Multiple times,
    > various iterations. Install, uninstall, purge, etc. Fortunately, I
    > have enough space on my C: drive to accommodate the bloated java install
    > (over 100 Megabytes). It just irritates me. No installation should tell
    > me where I have to put it. I wanted it on my G: drive, not my C: drive.
    > But, there are a lot of programs out there, still, which insist on
    > going to the C: drive. It's a matter of balancing my irritation at it
    > with my need or desire for the benefits of the application. Still pisses
    > me off. And, by the way ... 100+ Mb for Java??? You have got to be
    > f!!!! kidding me? And, frankly, I'm not sure why I need it. Hmm. Maybe
    > I'll uninstall it and see what stops working. I think the American
    > Express site is written in Java. That would be a pisser. Still. I
    > wonder if I could live without it. Hmm. On the other hand, I can just
    > re-allocate some more space to the C:\ drive if it gets low ... Ah,
    > hell. They are irritating but at some point fighting the fight gets to
    > be more trouble than it's worth.

    Yes, I hate that too. I used to have less than 1 GB of free disk space
    on my C: drive before I got a bigger HDD. I hated those shared
    compontents that had to be on C:!!

    > And, as I think about it? People used to get all up in arms about
    > "bloat" regarding Mozilla. You wanna see bloat? Take a look at Java!

    Nah man, try Vista. That's bloat!

    > Jesus! 100+ Megabytes. For what? Something that gets used, what?
    > "Once in a while?" Hideous. If Java died I would be very happy.

    I still need Java because of work's online time card system.
    --
    o/~ All the little ants are marching, red and black antennae waving...
    they all do it the same... they all do it the same... way... o/~ --Ants