SM Flash 9 upgrade - Mozilla

This is a discussion on SM Flash 9 upgrade - Mozilla ; Hello everyone, I knew there was a reason I joined this group... I've been a fan of SM for some time now and have had only a few problems, none of which have been serious. However, this time I'm stuck. ...

  1. SM Flash 9 upgrade

    Hello everyone,

    I knew there was a reason I joined this group...

    I've been a fan of SM for some time now and have had only a few
    problems, none of which have been serious. However, this time I'm
    stuck. I can't seem to get upgraded to Flash Player 9. I've downloaded
    the install file, tried the online install and done so several times,
    but I'm still on version 7. I remember having this problem in the past
    with older upgrades, but always got around it eventually. It was never
    this difficult.

    Has Mozilla just not caught up with Adobe with a current plugin? The
    Mozilla Support website says that their ver. 9 plugin is SM compatible.
    Am I missing something about the correct plugin for SM vs. Mozilla Suite
    or Firefox?

    I've tried just about every combination of standalone installer, web
    installer, SM running or not with no luck. Could someone tell me the
    exact upgrade file and procedure to get going on ver. 9, please? Thanks

    Peter
    (not the Purple Potamus)

  2. Re: SM Flash 9 upgrade

    Peter Anton replied On 4/3/2008 10:27 PM

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I knew there was a reason I joined this group...
    >
    > I've been a fan of SM for some time now and have had only a few
    > problems, none of which have been serious. However, this time I'm
    > stuck. I can't seem to get upgraded to Flash Player 9. I've downloaded
    > the install file, tried the online install and done so several times,
    > but I'm still on version 7. I remember having this problem in the past
    > with older upgrades, but always got around it eventually. It was never
    > this difficult.
    >
    > Has Mozilla just not caught up with Adobe with a current plugin? The
    > Mozilla Support website says that their ver. 9 plugin is SM compatible.
    > Am I missing something about the correct plugin for SM vs. Mozilla Suite
    > or Firefox?
    >
    > I've tried just about every combination of standalone installer, web
    > installer, SM running or not with no luck. Could someone tell me the
    > exact upgrade file and procedure to get going on ver. 9, please? Thanks
    >
    > Peter
    > (not the Purple Potamus)

    Peter,

    My Flash 9 plugin is located in the following folder on Win XP:
    File name: C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\plugins\npswf32.dll

    If you don't find it there use Windows Find command for the .dll file
    shown above and copy it over to the path shown above. Make sure
    SeaMonkey is closed including Quick Launch.

    Michael

  3. Re: SM Flash 9 upgrade

    Michael Gordon wrote:
    > Peter Anton replied On 4/3/2008 10:27 PM
    >
    >> Hello everyone,
    >>
    >> I knew there was a reason I joined this group...
    >> I've been a fan of SM for some time now and have had only a few
    >> problems, none of which have been serious. However, this time I'm
    >> stuck. I can't seem to get upgraded to Flash Player 9. I've
    >> downloaded the install file, tried the online install and done so
    >> several times, but I'm still on version 7. I remember having this
    >> problem in the past with older upgrades, but always got around it
    >> eventually. It was never this difficult.
    >> Has Mozilla just not caught up with Adobe with a current plugin? The
    >> Mozilla Support website says that their ver. 9 plugin is SM
    >> compatible. Am I missing something about the correct plugin for SM
    >> vs. Mozilla Suite or Firefox?
    >> I've tried just about every combination of standalone installer, web
    >> installer, SM running or not with no luck. Could someone tell me the
    >> exact upgrade file and procedure to get going on ver. 9, please? Thanks
    >>
    >> Peter
    >> (not the Purple Potamus)
    >>

    > Peter,
    >
    > My Flash 9 plugin is located in the following folder on Win XP:
    > File name: C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\plugins\npswf32.dll
    >
    > If you don't find it there use Windows Find command for the .dll file
    > shown above and copy it over to the path shown above. Make sure
    > SeaMonkey is closed including Quick Launch.
    >
    > Michael

    I took a quick look at the Adobe site, and any link I clicked seemed to
    take me to the IE Flash player install.

    The AMO site did the same thing.

    I'm not on Windows, so maybe a Windows user could test to see if Adobe
    is sending people to the correct Flash Player install.

    Lee

  4. Re: SM Flash 9 upgrade

    Peter Anton wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I knew there was a reason I joined this group...
    >
    > I've been a fan of SM for some time now and have had only a few
    > problems, none of which have been serious. However, this time I'm
    > stuck. I can't seem to get upgraded to Flash Player 9. I've downloaded
    > the install file, tried the online install and done so several times,
    > but I'm still on version 7. I remember having this problem in the past
    > with older upgrades, but always got around it eventually. It was never
    > this difficult.
    >
    > Has Mozilla just not caught up with Adobe with a current plugin? The
    > Mozilla Support website says that their ver. 9 plugin is SM compatible.
    > Am I missing something about the correct plugin for SM vs. Mozilla Suite
    > or Firefox?
    >
    > I've tried just about every combination of standalone installer, web
    > installer, SM running or not with no luck. Could someone tell me the
    > exact upgrade file and procedure to get going on ver. 9, please? Thanks
    >
    > Peter
    > (not the Purple Potamus)

    try installing it from the xpi:
    http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get...player-win.xpi

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  5. Re: SM Flash 9 upgrade

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > I took a quick look at the Adobe site, and any link I clicked seemed to
    > take me to the IE Flash player install.
    >
    > The AMO site did the same thing.
    >
    > I'm not on Windows, so maybe a Windows user could test to see if Adobe
    > is sending people to the correct Flash Player install.
    >
    > Lee

    yes it is.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: SM Flash 9 upgrade

    Michael Gordon wrote:
    > Peter Anton replied On 4/3/2008 10:27 PM
    >
    >> Hello everyone,
    >>
    >> I knew there was a reason I joined this group...
    >>
    >> I've been a fan of SM for some time now and have had only a few
    >> problems, none of which have been serious. However, this time I'm
    >> stuck. I can't seem to get upgraded to Flash Player 9. I've downloaded
    >> the install file, tried the online install and done so several times,
    >> but I'm still on version 7. I remember having this problem in the past
    >> with older upgrades, but always got around it eventually. It was never
    >> this difficult.
    >>
    >> Has Mozilla just not caught up with Adobe with a current plugin? The
    >> Mozilla Support website says that their ver. 9 plugin is SM compatible.
    >> Am I missing something about the correct plugin for SM vs. Mozilla Suite
    >> or Firefox?
    >>
    >> I've tried just about every combination of standalone installer, web
    >> installer, SM running or not with no luck. Could someone tell me the
    >> exact upgrade file and procedure to get going on ver. 9, please? Thanks
    >>
    >> Peter
    >> (not the Purple Potamus)
    >>

    > Peter,
    >
    > My Flash 9 plugin is located in the following folder on Win XP:
    > File name: C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\plugins\npswf32.dll

    actually in the new versions, the official new place in
    windows is C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  7. Re: SM Flash 9 upgrade

    Peter and Michael,

    Thanks for the info. I have files in both locations you mentioned.

    In ...program files\...\mozilla.org\plugins\:
    npfdm.dll - dated 8/21/2007
    npnul32.dll - dated 3/13/2008
    NPSWF.dll - dated 6/9/2004

    In ...System32\Macromed\Flash\:
    Flash9e.ocx ActiveX - dated 11/202007
    Flash.ocx ActiveX - dated 6/9/2004
    KB923789.inf Setup Info - dated 8/24/06

    A rather wide date range, but dates within the last 8 months on the
    important files. Why then does every Flash 9 site I visit tell me that
    I have to upgrade to version 9 ??? And if I right click on a flash
    screen, it tells me that I have version 7 !!! When did Flash 9 hit the
    stores, anyway?

    One thing that might be an issue is that I have my program files
    embedded rather deeply in several folders:
    D:\Petera Files\Internet\Browsers\SeaMonkey\Mozilla.org\plug ins\

    Could this be causing my problem? I like to categorize my installations
    for easy reference. Maybe the upgrade has problems with that many
    levels ... and not the standard Program Files folder as well.

    Problem not solved as yet. Any ideas? Do you see anything out of order
    in the above files, folders or dates?

    Peter A.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Michael Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Anton wrote originally
    >>> Hello everyone,
    >>>
    >>> I knew there was a reason I joined this group...
    >>>
    >>> I've been a fan of SM for some time now and have had only a few
    >>> problems, none of which have been serious. However, this time I'm
    >>> stuck. I can't seem to get upgraded to Flash Player 9. I've downloaded
    >>> the install file, tried the online install and done so several times,
    >>> but I'm still on version 7. I remember having this problem in the past
    >>> with older upgrades, but always got around it eventually. It was never
    >>> this difficult.
    >>>
    >>> Has Mozilla just not caught up with Adobe with a current plugin? The
    >>> Mozilla Support website says that their ver. 9 plugin is SM compatible.
    >>> Am I missing something about the correct plugin for SM vs. Mozilla Suite
    >>> or Firefox?
    >>>
    >>> I've tried just about every combination of standalone installer, web
    >>> installer, SM running or not with no luck. Could someone tell me the
    >>> exact upgrade file and procedure to get going on ver. 9, please? Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Peter
    >>> (not the Purple Potamus)
    >>>

    >> Peter,
    >>
    >> My Flash 9 plugin is located in the following folder on Win XP:
    >> File name: C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\plugins\npswf32.dll
    >>

    > actually in the new versions, the official new place in
    > windows is C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash

  8. Re: SM Flash 9 upgrade

    Peter Anton wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I knew there was a reason I joined this group...
    >
    > I've been a fan of SM for some time now and have had only a few
    > problems, none of which have been serious. However, this time I'm
    > stuck. I can't seem to get upgraded to Flash Player 9. I've
    > downloaded the install file, tried the online install and done so
    > several times, but I'm still on version 7. I remember having this
    > problem in the past with older upgrades, but always got around it
    > eventually. It was never this difficult.
    >
    > Has Mozilla just not caught up with Adobe with a current plugin? The
    > Mozilla Support website says that their ver. 9 plugin is SM
    > compatible. Am I missing something about the correct plugin for SM
    > vs. Mozilla Suite or Firefox?
    >
    > I've tried just about every combination of standalone installer, web
    > installer, SM running or not with no luck. Could someone tell me the
    > exact upgrade file and procedure to get going on ver. 9, please?
    > Thanks
    >
    > Peter
    > (not the Purple Potamus)

    When I upgraded (yes) to W2K I couldn't install the v. 9 flash player in
    SeaMpnkey from the Adobe website, and had to rely instead on an earlier
    version of 9 that I'd saved. This is a long shot, and there are security
    issues, but in the absence of any better suggestions you could try an
    earlier version of 9 from here:
    http://www.oldapps.com/Macromedia_Flash_Player.htm
    If you get lucky and it installs, see if you can piggyback your luck up to
    ..115
    Good Luck.

  9. Re: SM Flash 9 upgrade

    Peter Anton wrote:
    > Peter and Michael,
    >
    > Thanks for the info. I have files in both locations you mentioned.
    >
    > In ...program files\...\mozilla.org\plugins\:
    > npfdm.dll - dated 8/21/2007
    > npnul32.dll - dated 3/13/2008
    > NPSWF.dll - dated 6/9/2004
    >
    > In ...System32\Macromed\Flash\:
    > Flash9e.ocx ActiveX - dated 11/202007
    > Flash.ocx ActiveX - dated 6/9/2004
    > KB923789.inf Setup Info - dated 8/24/06
    >
    > A rather wide date range, but dates within the last 8 months on the
    > important files. Why then does every Flash 9 site I visit tell me that
    > I have to upgrade to version 9 ??? And if I right click on a flash
    > screen, it tells me that I have version 7 !!! When did Flash 9 hit the
    > stores, anyway?

    What you want is the file npnul32.dll and it should be in
    System32 or put a copy in the mozilla.org/plugins directory.
    Search your entire hard drive and make sure you only have
    1 and it has a current date on it. If you find others,
    delete them. Do all this while SM is closed.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  10. Re: SM Flash 9 upgrade

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > What you want is the file npnul32.dll

    No, that's the Default Plugin shipped with SeaMonkey. Flash 9 on Windows
    should just work out of the box, it needn't be installed in the plugins
    directory anymore like previous versions. Old Flash plugins' dlls might
    have to be removed from the plugins directory to make it work, though.

    HTH

    Jens

    --
    Jens Hatlak
    SeaMonkey Trunk Tracker

  11. Re: SM Flash 9 upgrade

    Jens Hatlak wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> What you want is the file npnul32.dll

    > No, that's the Default Plugin shipped with SeaMonkey. Flash 9 on Windows
    > should just work out of the box, it needn't be installed in the plugins
    > directory anymore like previous versions. Old Flash plugins' dlls might
    > have to be removed from the plugins directory to make it work, though.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Jens

    Peter (the blue one) said he has "NPSWF.dll - dated 6/9/2004"
    That's OLD.

    aboutlugins shows NPSWF32.dll on my Win98SE system. It's located at
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll, dated 11/20/2007, and it's
    the current Flash 9.0 r115

    There was a Flash uninstaller on Adobe's site, can't find it any more
    except for the IE version. My Flash 9.0 r115 install also put an
    uninstaller in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Macromed\Flash, right along with the
    plugin. And there's a Flash uninstall entry in Control Panel.

  12. Re: SM Flash 9 upgrade

    Peter Anton wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I knew there was a reason I joined this group...
    > I've been a fan of SM for some time now and have had only a few
    > problems, none of which have been serious. However, this time I'm
    > stuck. I can't seem to get upgraded to Flash Player 9. I've downloaded
    > the install file, tried the online install and done so several times,
    > but I'm still on version 7. I remember having this problem in the past
    > with older upgrades, but always got around it eventually. It was never
    > this difficult.
    > Has Mozilla just not caught up with Adobe with a current plugin? The
    > Mozilla Support website says that their ver. 9 plugin is SM compatible.
    > Am I missing something about the correct plugin for SM vs. Mozilla Suite
    > or Firefox?
    > I've tried just about every combination of standalone installer, web
    > installer, SM running or not with no luck. Could someone tell me the
    > exact upgrade file and procedure to get going on ver. 9, please? Thanks
    >
    > Peter
    > (not the Purple Potamus)

    from aboutlugins my upgrade to SM 1.1.9 included

    File name: NPSWF32.dll
    Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115

    and NPSWF32.dll is located (Win98se) in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash

  13. Re: SM Flash 9 upgrade

    Jens Hatlak wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> What you want is the file npnul32.dll

    > No, that's the Default Plugin shipped with SeaMonkey.

    crap, I was looking at the wrong one again. Its NPSWF32.dll
    that you want which IS located in
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash as I said.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  14. Re: SM Flash 9 upgrade

    On 4/3/2008 7:27 PM, Peter Anton wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I knew there was a reason I joined this group...
    >
    > I've been a fan of SM for some time now and have had only a few
    > problems, none of which have been serious. However, this time I'm
    > stuck. I can't seem to get upgraded to Flash Player 9. I've downloaded
    > the install file, tried the online install and done so several times,
    > but I'm still on version 7. I remember having this problem in the past
    > with older upgrades, but always got around it eventually. It was never
    > this difficult.
    >
    > Has Mozilla just not caught up with Adobe with a current plugin? The
    > Mozilla Support website says that their ver. 9 plugin is SM compatible.
    > Am I missing something about the correct plugin for SM vs. Mozilla Suite
    > or Firefox?
    >
    > I've tried just about every combination of standalone installer, web
    > installer, SM running or not with no luck. Could someone tell me the
    > exact upgrade file and procedure to get going on ver. 9, please? Thanks
    >
    > Peter
    > (not the Purple Potamus)

    Since Flash 9 is installed differently than prior versions, I used
    Windows' "Add or Remove Programs" to remove all versions, including the
    new one. Then, I made sure there were no copies of NPSWF32.dll anywhere
    on my PC. Finally, I installed (reinstalled) the new version of Flash.

    Although the Flash plugin is NOT installed in SeaMonkey's plugins
    folder, SeaMonkey still finds and uses the plugin. (The same is true
    for Java.)

    --
    David E. Ross

    Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    Mozilla-related applications. You can access Mozdev much

  15. Re: SM Flash 9 upgrade

    David E. Ross wrote:
    > On 4/3/2008 7:27 PM, Peter Anton wrote:
    >> Hello everyone,
    >>
    >> I knew there was a reason I joined this group...
    >>
    >> I've been a fan of SM for some time now and have had only a few
    >> problems, none of which have been serious. However, this time I'm
    >> stuck. I can't seem to get upgraded to Flash Player 9. I've downloaded
    >> the install file, tried the online install and done so several times,
    >> but I'm still on version 7. I remember having this problem in the past
    >> with older upgrades, but always got around it eventually. It was never
    >> this difficult.
    >>
    >> Has Mozilla just not caught up with Adobe with a current plugin? The
    >> Mozilla Support website says that their ver. 9 plugin is SM compatible.
    >> Am I missing something about the correct plugin for SM vs. Mozilla Suite
    >> or Firefox?
    >>
    >> I've tried just about every combination of standalone installer, web
    >> installer, SM running or not with no luck. Could someone tell me the
    >> exact upgrade file and procedure to get going on ver. 9, please? Thanks
    >>
    >> Peter
    >> (not the Purple Potamus)
    >>

    > Since Flash 9 is installed differently than prior versions, I used
    > Windows' "Add or Remove Programs" to remove all versions, including the
    > new one. Then, I made sure there were no copies of NPSWF32.dll anywhere
    > on my PC. Finally, I installed (reinstalled) the new version of Flash.
    >
    > Although the Flash plugin is NOT installed in SeaMonkey's plugins
    > folder, SeaMonkey still finds and uses the plugin. (The same is true
    > for Java.)

    Look in aboutlugins, and note the DefaultPlugin.plugin.

    The Default Plugin is what finds plugins across your system.

    Lee

+ Reply to Thread