G-Mail Notifier Add-on is in Chinese - Mozilla

This is a discussion on G-Mail Notifier Add-on is in Chinese - Mozilla ; I uninstalled the G-mail Add-on (that was showing Chinese characters instead of English) and re-installed from the download site, ensuring that "English (US)" was showing at the bottom of the screen. It again installed with Chinese characters and now I ...

  1. G-Mail Notifier Add-on is in Chinese

    I uninstalled the G-mail Add-on (that was showing Chinese characters
    instead of English) and re-installed from the download site, ensuring
    that "English (US)" was showing at the bottom of the screen. It again
    installed with Chinese characters and now I can't uninstall it. Any
    suggestions?

    An old-timer trying to keep up

  2. Re: G-Mail Notifier Add-on is in Chinese

    OldTimer wrote:
    > I uninstalled the G-mail Add-on (that was showing Chinese characters
    > instead of English) and re-installed from the download site, ensuring
    > that "English (US)" was showing at the bottom of the screen. It again
    > installed with Chinese characters and now I can't uninstall it. Any
    > suggestions?
    >
    > An old-timer trying to keep up

    How are you trying to uninstall it?

    Lee

  3. Re: G-Mail Notifier Add-on is in Chinese

    OldTimer wrote:
    > I uninstalled the G-mail Add-on (that was showing Chinese characters
    > instead of English) and re-installed from the download site, ensuring
    > that "English (US)" was showing at the bottom of the screen. It again
    > installed with Chinese characters and now I can't uninstall it. Any
    > suggestions?
    >
    > An old-timer trying to keep up

    support for this extension is available at:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=96525 or go
    here: http://www.nexgenmedia.net/extensions/

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  4. Re: G-Mail Notifier Add-on is in Chinese

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > OldTimer wrote:
    >> I uninstalled the G-mail Add-on (that was showing Chinese characters
    >> instead of English) and re-installed from the download site, ensuring
    >> that "English (US)" was showing at the bottom of the screen. It again
    >> installed with Chinese characters and now I can't uninstall it. Any
    >> suggestions?
    >>
    >> An old-timer trying to keep up

    > How are you trying to uninstall it?
    >
    > Lee

    I right clicked on the icon in the status bar. The items (in Chinese)
    in the drop down menu had English letters beside them, I guessed that
    the "U" beside the last line of Chinese characters referred to
    "uninstall." Which appeared to be right because when I clicked it, the
    SeaMonkey was restarted. It was uninstalled the first time I tried it,
    but not the second time.

    Ed

  5. Re: G-Mail Notifier Add-on is in Chinese

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > OldTimer wrote:
    >> I uninstalled the G-mail Add-on (that was showing Chinese characters
    >> instead of English) and re-installed from the download site, ensuring
    >> that "English (US)" was showing at the bottom of the screen. It again
    >> installed with Chinese characters and now I can't uninstall it. Any
    >> suggestions?
    >>
    >> An old-timer trying to keep up

    > support for this extension is available at:
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=96525 or go here:
    > http://www.nexgenmedia.net/extensions/

    Peter:

    Thanks for responding, but it was a little over my head. I
    didn't get the relevance of viewing forum replies that were 4-6 years
    old (when there have been so many version updates since?).

    The nexgenmedia.net reference you gave, just made me question
    whether this was all worth it. Especially with comments such as
    "...extensions ...are provided as-is so don't come complaining if
    something breaks or your browser won't start after installing ..."
    and, "This extension is probably against your G-mail agreement and I
    won't be held responsible for anyone losing his/her account..."

    Thanks for the "heads up" at any rate.
    Ed

  6. Re: G-Mail Notifier Add-on is in Chinese

    OldTimer wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> OldTimer wrote:
    >>> I uninstalled the G-mail Add-on (that was showing Chinese characters
    >>> instead of English) and re-installed from the download site, ensuring
    >>> that "English (US)" was showing at the bottom of the screen. It
    >>> again installed with Chinese characters and now I can't uninstall
    >>> it. Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> An old-timer trying to keep up

    >> How are you trying to uninstall it?
    >>
    >> Lee

    > I right clicked on the icon in the status bar. The items (in Chinese)
    > in the drop down menu had English letters beside them, I guessed that
    > the "U" beside the last line of Chinese characters referred to
    > "uninstall." Which appeared to be right because when I clicked it, the
    > SeaMonkey was restarted. It was uninstalled the first time I tried it,
    > but not the second time.
    >
    > Ed

    Do you have either the Extension Manager extension installed, or
    Menenhy? These are the best bet for unintalling extensions in SeaMonkay.

    Lee

  7. Re: G-Mail Notifier Add-on is in Chinese

    OldTimer wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> OldTimer wrote:
    >>> I uninstalled the G-mail Add-on (that was showing Chinese characters
    >>> instead of English) and re-installed from the download site, ensuring
    >>> that "English (US)" was showing at the bottom of the screen. It again
    >>> installed with Chinese characters and now I can't uninstall it. Any
    >>> suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> An old-timer trying to keep up

    >> support for this extension is available at:
    >> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=96525 or go here:
    >> http://www.nexgenmedia.net/extensions/
    >>

    > Peter:
    >
    > Thanks for responding, but it was a little over my head. I
    > didn't get the relevance of viewing forum replies that were 4-6 years
    > old (when there have been so many version updates since?).

    the relavance was for you to post your question there.
    You'd get more help there, than you would here about the
    extension. As with any extension, its better to seek out a
    forum for that extension as thats where the experts of those
    extensions play. The help at mozilla.support.seamonkey
    newsgroup are usually those who know the program and can
    help you with questions about using the program, and very,
    very few who know about certain extensions.

    > The nexgenmedia.net reference you gave, just made me question
    > whether this was all worth it. Especially with comments such as
    > "...extensions ...are provided as-is so don't come complaining if
    > something breaks or your browser won't start after installing ..."
    > and, "This extension is probably against your G-mail agreement and I
    > won't be held responsible for anyone losing his/her account..."

    no, thats just his legal disclaimer. In other words, if
    your using his extension and your monitor starts to smoke,
    and the computer blows up, then don't complain to him.

    As with all extensions, you're using them at your own risk.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: G-Mail Notifier Add-on is in Chinese

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > OldTimer wrote:

    >>> How are you trying to uninstall it?
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> I right clicked on the icon in the status bar. The items (in Chinese)
    >> in the drop down menu had English letters beside them, I guessed that
    >> the "U" beside the last line of Chinese characters referred to
    >> "uninstall." Which appeared to be right because when I clicked it,
    >> the next message stated (in English)that it would be uninstalled when
    >> SeaMonkey was restarted. It was uninstalled the first time I tried
    >> it, but not the second time.
    >>
    >> Ed
    >>

    > Do you have either the Extension Manager extension installed, or
    > Menenhy? These are the best bet for unintalling extensions in SeaMonkay.
    >
    > Lee

    No I don't. How do I get them and how are they used?

    Ed

  9. Re: G-Mail Notifier Add-on is in Chinese

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > OldTimer wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> support for this extension is available at:
    >>> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=96525 or go here:
    >>> http://www.nexgenmedia.net/extensions/
    >>>

    >> Peter:
    >>
    >> Thanks for responding, but it was a little over my head. I
    >> didn't get the relevance of viewing forum replies that were 4-6 years
    >> old (when there have been so many version updates since?).

    > the relavance was for you to post your question there. You'd get more
    > help there, than you would here about the extension. As with any
    > extension, its better to seek out a forum for that extension as thats
    > where the experts of those extensions play. The help at
    > mozilla.support.seamonkey newsgroup are usually those who know the
    > program and can help you with questions about using the program, and
    > very, very few who know about certain extensions.
    >
    >> The nexgenmedia.net reference you gave, just made me question
    >> whether this was all worth it. Especially with comments such as
    >> "...extensions ...are provided as-is so don't come complaining if
    >> something breaks or your browser won't start after installing ..."
    >> and, "This extension is probably against your G-mail agreement and I
    >> won't be held responsible for anyone losing his/her account..."

    > no, thats just his legal disclaimer. In other words, if your using his
    > extension and your monitor starts to smoke, and the computer blows up,
    > then don't complain to him.
    >
    > As with all extensions, you're using them at your own risk.

    Thanks for the explanation. I thought I remember seeing some
    instructions that stated we weren't to post in other forums at the same
    time?

    If the problem isn't resolved here, I'll switch over.
    Thanks again.
    Ed

  10. Re: G-Mail Notifier Add-on is in Chinese

    OldTimer wrote:
    > Thanks for the explanation. I thought I remember seeing some
    > instructions that stated we weren't to post in other forums at the same
    > time?

    some people ask their questions here, and at the same time
    ask on the mozillazine site, and a few other help sites.
    For me, I will seek out if an extension has a
    forum/newsgroup and go asking there. Some do have forums and
    newsgroups, and some don't.

    If you can't find a forum or newsgroup for that extension,
    then you can try asking here. Just remember that not
    everyone is using the same extension(s) as you are. The
    Support and Help in this newsgroup is about using the
    program SeaMonkey.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  11. Re: G-Mail Notifier Add-on is in Chinese

    OldTimer wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> OldTimer wrote:

    >>> I right clicked on the icon in the status bar. The items (in
    >>> Chinese) in the drop down menu had English letters beside them, I
    >>> guessed that the "U" beside the last line of Chinese characters
    >>> referred to "uninstall." Which appeared to be right because when I
    >>> clicked it, the next message stated (in English)that it would be
    >>> uninstalled when SeaMonkey was restarted. It was uninstalled the
    >>> first time I tried it, but not the second time.
    >>>
    >>> Ed
    >>>

    >> Do you have either the Extension Manager extension installed, or
    >> Menenhy? These are the best bet for unintalling extensions in SeaMonkay.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > No I don't. How do I get them and how are they used?
    >
    > Ed

    Google them, you can find it.

    Mnenhy can uninstall extensions via the Chrome Manager feature. It
    works well, but is somewhat less then user friendly.

    Extension Manager is an old extension, and does not work on every
    extension, but it does for most, and is quite user friendly.

    Mnenhy:

    http://mnenhy.mozdev.org/

    Extension Manager

    http://www.mozmonkey.com/

    I wouold probably recommend trying Extension Manager first. Note
    though, at the site I link to, you must install both the Extension
    Manager extension, and the Extension Uninstaller API for it to work.'

    Lee

  12. Re: G-Mail Notifier Add-on is in Chinese

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > OldTimer wrote:

    >>> Do you have either the Extension Manager extension installed, or
    >>> Menenhy? These are the best bet for unintalling extensions in SeaMonkay.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> No I don't. How do I get them and how are they used?
    >>
    >> Ed

    > Google them, you can find it.
    >
    > Mnenhy can uninstall extensions via the Chrome Manager feature. It
    > works well, but is somewhat less then user friendly.
    >
    > Extension Manager is an old extension, and does not work on every
    > extension, but it does for most, and is quite user friendly.
    >
    > Mnenhy:
    >
    > http://mnenhy.mozdev.org/
    >
    > Extension Manager
    >
    > http://www.mozmonkey.com/
    >
    > I wouold probably recommend trying Extension Manager first. Note
    > though, at the site I link to, you must install both the Extension
    > Manager extension, and the Extension Uninstaller API for it to work.'
    >
    > Lee

    I followed your suggestion and Gmail Notifier is now uninstalled (using
    Extension Manager). Thanks for getting me out of this problem. I think
    I'll just forget about the Notifier.

    Thanks, again!
    Ed

  13. Re: G-Mail Notifier Add-on is in Chinese

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > OldTimer wrote:
    >> Thanks for the explanation. I thought I remember seeing some
    >> instructions that stated we weren't to post in other forums at the
    >> same time?

    > some people ask their questions here, and at the same time ask on the
    > mozillazine site, and a few other help sites. For me, I will seek out if
    > an extension has a forum/newsgroup and go asking there. Some do have
    > forums and newsgroups, and some don't.
    >
    > If you can't find a forum or newsgroup for that extension, then you can
    > try asking here. Just remember that not everyone is using the same
    > extension(s) as you are. The Support and Help in this newsgroup is
    > about using the program SeaMonkey.

    I didn't even know what an extension was before I posted. Thanks for
    clarifying the distinctions. I should be able to be more discriminating
    in my future posts.

    Thanks,
    Ed

  14. Re: G-Mail Notifier Add-on is in Chinese

    OldTimer wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> OldTimer wrote:

    >>> No I don't. How do I get them and how are they used?
    >>>
    >>> Ed

    >> Google them, you can find it.
    >>
    >> Mnenhy can uninstall extensions via the Chrome Manager feature. It
    >> works well, but is somewhat less then user friendly.
    >>
    >> Extension Manager is an old extension, and does not work on every
    >> extension, but it does for most, and is quite user friendly.
    >>
    >> Mnenhy:
    >>
    >> http://mnenhy.mozdev.org/
    >>
    >> Extension Manager
    >>
    >> http://www.mozmonkey.com/
    >>
    >> I wouold probably recommend trying Extension Manager first. Note
    >> though, at the site I link to, you must install both the Extension
    >> Manager extension, and the Extension Uninstaller API for it to work.'
    >>
    >> Lee

    > I followed your suggestion and Gmail Notifier is now uninstalled (using
    > Extension Manager). Thanks for getting me out of this problem. I think
    > I'll just forget about the Notifier.
    >
    > Thanks, again!
    > Ed

    I am so glad to hear that it worked for you!

    Lee

+ Reply to Thread