Lost Heaps of Data ,twice in a Few weeks with SM - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Lost Heaps of Data ,twice in a Few weeks with SM - Mozilla ; Hooroo. jim...

  1. Lost Heaps of Data ,twice in a Few weeks with SM

    Hooroo. jim

  2. Re: Lost Heaps of Data ,twice in a Few weeks with SM

    jim wrote:
    > Hooroo. jim

    And your problem is what?

    Notice: This posting is protected under the Free Speech Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: Lost Heaps of Data ,twice in a Few weeks with SM

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote: jim wrote: Hooroo. jim
    And your problem is what?

    -I've lost my mail connection pop3.optusnet.com.au + Heas of Saved Data Twice recently. Im giving up SM. Thanks for Help pete.Im going to uninstall all browsers & Start Again ;as have a Sneaky suspicion that Profile's are in the back ground. I will go back to MOZ I think.,as one never had these problems with that or NC4. Regards. jim

    -- *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!! Emails to me may become public Notice: This posting is protected under the Free Speech Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get banned. Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon: http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  4. Re: Lost Heaps of Data ,twice in a Few weeks with SM

    jim wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> jim wrote:
    >>> Hooroo. jim

    >> And your problem is what?

    > -I've lost my mail connection pop3.optusnet.com.au + Heas of Saved Data Twice recently. Im giving up SM. Thanks for Help pete.Im going to uninstall all browsers & Start Again ;as have a Sneaky suspicion that Profile's are in the back ground. I will go back to MOZ I think.,as one never had these problems with that or NC4. Regards. jim

    what is it you're doing that causes you to lose your
    messages? I've never had such problems.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  5. Re: Lost Heaps of Data ,twice in a Few weeks with SM

    jim wrote:
    Hooroo. jim
    And your problem is what?
    -I've lost my mail connection pop3.optusnet.com.au + Heas of Saved Data Twice recently. Im giving up SM. Thanks for Help pete.Im going to uninstall all browsers & Start Again ;as have a Sneaky suspicion that Profile's are in the back ground. I will go back to MOZ I think.,as one never had these problems with that or NC4. Regards.   jim

    what is it you're doing that causes you to lose your messages?  I've never had such problems.

    On reflection PETER each time this has occurred ,one  has been hunting for news files in an attemnpt to Delete a news group file.Why this tho , as one never Deleted anything there.!Can you recommnend a Painless way to go back to Moz.   jim

  6. Re: Lost Heaps of Data ,twice in a Few weeks with SM

    jim wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> jim wrote:
    >>> Hooroo. jim

    >> And your problem is what?
    >> -I've lost my mail connection pop3.optusnet.com.au + Heas of Saved Data Twice recently. Im giving up SM. Thanks for Help pete.Im going to uninstall all browsers & Start Again ;as have a Sneaky suspicion that Profile's are in the back ground. I will go back to MOZ I think.,as one never had these problems with that or NC4. Regards. jim
    >>
    >> --
    >> *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!! Emails to me may become public
    >>
    >> Notice: This posting is protected under the Free Speech Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get banned.
    >>
    >> Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    >> http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Jim, as Peter suggests it must be something that you are doing that is
    causing your problems, as there are not heaps of people here complaining
    about losing all their saved data due to SeaMonkey's actions.

    So it must be something you are doing, so lets see if we can help!

    First, in SeaMonkey, go to Tools->Switch Profiles. Is there just one
    profile shown? If more than one, is your lost data in one of the other
    profiles? Select each one in turn.

    Second, in each profile found above, go to Edit->Mail&Newsgroup Account
    Settings, select "Server Settings" on your mail account. At the bottom
    of this screen is the "Local Directory" location. This is where
    SeaMonkey has your profile, containing any mail that you may have sent
    or received using this account. Now, completely close SeaMonkey, then do
    a Windows Find Files or Folders and look foe "inbox" (without the
    quotes) and see if you locate any inbox's (the files that contain your
    received mail) that are not attached to any of the profiles shown in the
    Switch Profiles screen.

    Report back here with your results.

    Daniel

  7. Re: Lost Heaps of Data ,twice in a Few weeks with SM

    jim wrote:
[...]

    Thanks for your reply Daniel.Before I start going thru the directions that you so Kindly posted here. This Data that I lost was this time saved in the Templates folder.Does this Alter the gist of your directions. Regards.jim. ps have to go out for a time, but will get back ASAP  Thanks again.

  8. Re: Lost Heaps of Data ,twice in a Few weeks with SM

    jim wrote:
[...]

    David; Gee your Guidance in this Matter is really helpful indeed.There's many INBOX'S [following search] With MSF  Template  files  in one profile [have 3];Its coded, What can one do with it ,ie to check  that its contents-then if its the goods-how to put it where I want it? Amen <g> Thanks Heaps for your Profile Directions. .  jim

  9. Re: Lost Heaps of Data ,twice in a Few weeks with SM

    jim wrote:
[...]

    David .this is one coded file;opened it in word pad,its coded. jim

  10. Re: Lost Heaps of Data ,twice in a Few weeks with SM

    jim wrote:
    > jim wrote:
    >> jim wrote:

    >>> Thanks for your reply Daniel.Before I start going thru the directions that
    >>> you so Kindly posted here. This Data that I lost was this time saved in the
    >>> Templates folder.Does this Alter the gist of your directions. Regards.jim. ps
    >>> have to go out for a time, but will get back ASAP Thanks again.

    >> David; Gee your Guidance in this Matter is really helpful indeed.There's many
    >> INBOX'S [following search] With MSF Template files in one profile [have
    >> 3];_Its coded_, What can one do with it ,ie to check that its contents-then
    >> if its the goods-how to put it where I want it? Amen Thanks Heaps for your
    >> Profile Directions. . jim
    >>

    > David .this is _one coded file_;opened it in word pad,its coded. jim

    Jim, the inbox file contains the emails that you have received, listed
    one after the other and if you haven't Compact Folders in a while, all
    your deleted emails are still there as well.

    Delete all the .msf files - they are only index files for the actual
    inbox file. When you select the inbox with-in SeaMonkey, a new .msf file
    is created - only takes a moment.

    With the files that are just called inbox, identify which one is your
    current inbox from the location of your profile, which you found earlier
    in the Local Directory location of the Server Settings. Close SeaMonkey.

    Now, in Windows Explorer, change the names of all the other inbox files
    to something like inbox1, inbox2, etc., and then drag them to the same
    location as the main inbox. Then, when you start SeaMonkey, in your
    profile, you should see all these other inboxx's listed, so you can move
    those emails into your main inbox, or wherever.

    Report back.

    Daniel

  11. Re: Lost Heaps of Data ,twice in a Few weeks with SM

    jim wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >> jim wrote:

    /snip/
    > Thanks for your reply Daniel.Before I start going thru the directions that you
    > so Kindly posted here. This Data that I lost was this time saved in the
    > Templates folder.Does this Alter the gist of your directions. Regards.jim. ps
    > have to go out for a time, but will get back ASAP Thanks again.

    Jim, your reply is getting sucked into the quote, making it very hard to
    sort out. Before starting your reply, insert on carriage return before
    you start typing, that should clear it up.

    Lee

+ Reply to Thread